When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Favourite Soccer Goals

Victoria

And also; in situations like these, I ask myself: 'What would Jesus do?'

He'd have a beer with his 12 best friends?

..He is applauded by the supporters and his teammates.. Ferguson does not agree, says it's a desperate and rash decision.

Arsenal beat Wimbledon 5-0, took the lead in the league and went on to win it this season by one point.

Ferguson more than suggested they were helped by ManU losing one of their offensive weapons to a 2-match suspension.

Classic.

Speaking of which, one of my all-time favourite matches, and perhaps not a more thrilling one in the Premiership FOR ME was the classic Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle in the 1995-1996 season. Wow, magnificent effort all around, with players at their best.

When Stan Collymore (ex-Spurs, whom I really didn't like) scored the 4th goal, the whole pub I was in erupted in every-man-for-himself-and-women-beware hugging! To a man and mouse, we all wanted to stick it to Man United and the Magpies, who were in the chase.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, it wasn't a promotional dinner.

It was a dinner given by the Brazilian Consulate, to which Mario Zagallo had veto over the guest list, and several people were invited who live in South Florida, because he grew up with them or knew him. My father having been one, need I mention. They were at Catholic boys school together in Rio, although Zagallo was obviously older. BTW, Zagallo is a very nice person. VERY nice.

When I say all this, I am aware that I am letting go of a confidence which if my parents knew I was spewing on a rep watch forum, they would be extremely disappointed in me.

For example, there is a member of the WC 1994 Brazil side who almost everyone here who is a football fan knows by name. He and his wife invited my parents and I to their lovely home in Rio, and we had a pleasant time together, with mutual friends.

But actually, you know, he's very arrogant, and his wife is worse. She's impossible, and treats her servants like mud. How can you expect me to actually give you anecdotes about this without betraying the kindness he and his wife gave us in their home?

I can't. I'm not a journalist who can pretend to turn off my acquaintanceship to broadcast my opinions of people, based on specific encounters.

That's why I went with Brazilian media at first. Then I got into hot water in the thread because you will not give up, even with the slightest point, and I had to come up with the goods.

Half-way writing it, I erased what I witnessed, since it was a step too far.

I guess this is a lesson for me. When I give you a reason, I'll just say it's an opinion and leave it at that, DBR. Sorry.

Actually perhaps I should apologise in that case, maybe I was cross-examining you a little too much. Not my intention, but sometimes can't help picking up on inaccuracies and not letting go, especially if I think someone's playing games. I thought perhaps there was something personal there but then you should know better not to put such an extreme opinion out there without being prepared to back it up in some way. Best to say nothing even if I don't think it's betraying any kindness if you'd have merely said without details you've met the guy and his wife and they were very unpleasant people, instead of creating this 'mystery'. It's not like we're talking about Nelson Mandela now is it? :D I mean, famous rich footballer and his obnoxious wife are complete stuck-up nightmares who act as if they're better than everyone just because they have obscene amounts of money? Hardly a shocker is it? ;)

I mean, famous rich footballer and his obnoxious wife are complete stuck-up nightmares who act as if they're better than everyone just because they have obscene amounts of money?

Right. ;)

However, just to make the point clear, the footballer and his wife are not Roberto Carlos, who wasn't yet on the Brazil side in WC 1994. Nor was it Romario...BTW.

Now HE is a little conceited, but there's a childlike air of bumptiousness there that is hard to dislike (perhaps a tad like Maradona, who he resembles physically a bit too!). He played for a while at Miami FC, you might recall. :)

Hardly a shocker is it? ;)

BTW, Nelson Mandela was a dear, but didn't like his wife. :lol:

And also; in situations like these, I ask myself: 'What would Jesus do?'
Perhaps ask his representative here on Earth? :rolleyes:

kakaibelongtojesusoh7.jpg

DBR might remember this season due to Liverpool winning 4-0 at Anfield and almost toppling the Gunners try for the league. ;)
Indeed I do, actually the first game I took my then-GF to at Anfield (she 'supported' Arsenal as she came from the same home town as Marc Overmars). And to think one of your fellow countrymen, Leonhardsen, applied the final humiliation :lol:

Speaking of which, one of my all-time favourite matches, and perhaps not a more thrilling one in the Premiership FOR ME was the classic Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle in the 1995-1996 season. Wow, magnificent effort all around, with players at their best.

When Stan Collymore (ex-Spurs, whom I really didn't like) scored the 4th goal, the whole pub I was in erupted in every-man-for-himself-and-women-beware hugging! To a man and mouse, we all wanted to stick it to Man United and the Magpies, who were in the chase.

I miss Premiership footie of the early to mid-90s...there was a joyous unprofessionalism about it all that's quite disappeared.

I agree totally completely 100% with everything here, except for the fact that the nearest Stan the Man got to Tottenham was probably the nearest NCP car park ;)

Oh and you didn't mention the follow-up fixture the very next season - also finished Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 - unbelievable!!!

Perhaps ask his representative here on Earth? :rolleyes:

Indeed I do, actually the first game I took my then-GF to at Anfield (she 'supported' Arsenal as she came from the same home town as Marc Overmars). And to think one of your fellow countrymen, Leonhardsen, applied the final humiliation :lol:

Uriah Rennie (isn't that him?) must be the fastest ref in the game! He ran Solskj

I agree totally completely 100% with everything here, except for the fact that the nearest Stan the Man got to Tottenham was probably the nearest NCP car park ;)

Come on, everyone should do a bit of dogging once in their life. ;)

Oh and you didn't mention the follow-up fixture the very next season - also finished Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 - unbelievable!!!

Missed that fixture alas, IIRC, due to a mandatory visiting prof lecture. Stupid Vic. <_<

..and Brazil are chosen to host the 2014 World Cup! :) ..not a big surprise, but still. Good for them!

Yay!! Please God, hope dad is still with us...might even have given him a little grandson by then. :)

P.S.: Yes, you're right Apey. There was no doubt that it would be them. Since they won World Cups everywhere BUT on Brazilian soil, they never needed the help, unlike Argentina in 1978 (has there ever been a more corrupt World Cup?). But 64 years...it was time.

WC 2010: South Africa

WC 2014: Brazil

WC 2018: Canada/USA?

WC 2022: Poland?

WC 2026: China?

WC 2030: Uruguay for the centenary

There was no doubt that it would be them.
What, you mean seeing as they were the only candidate? :lol: FIFA muppets throwing a big (expensive) announcement party like that :rolleyes: Only hope that TV money rules and there's no stupid 2300GMT KOs like there was at Argentina '78 (which I don't remember as it was way past my bedtime :cry:)

WC 2018: Canada/USA?
In your dreams. What only 24 years after you last made a mess of it? Think it's more likely to come back to England to be honest, with the New Wembley, Emirates and even more impressively, the New Anfield

WC 2022: Poland?
Err, why? Infrastructure and facilities say 'no' regardless.

What, you mean seeing as they were the only candidate? :lol: FIFA muppets throwing a big (expensive) announcement party like that :rolleyes: Only hope that TV money rules and there's no stupid 2300GMT KOs like there was at Argentina '78 (which I don't remember as it was way past my bedtime :cry:)

I was crying in my crib alongside you at 3. Thank God I was born as a "German championess" out of the womb. :p

In your dreams. What only 24 years after you last made a mess of it?

In YOUR dreams. That was one of the most successful, most well-attended, funnest World Cups ever. I do think Canada should be judged worthy of being let into the fun, and Mexico has been given it too many times.

Think it's more likely to come back to England to be honest, with the New Wembley, Emirates and even more impressively, the New Anfield

Certainly, the venues would have been upgraded by then. I'm just thinking that they wouldn't let us have a World Cup so "soon" after an Olympics. Other European nations would get jealous...as they invariably are with us.

Err, why? Infrastructure and facilities say 'no' regardless.

True. But since Russia is a bit too far* (I think they should get it), it should be a stable country in East Europe like Poland or the Czech Republic. Yes, Poland doesn't have the infrastructure NOW, but it can have it by then. (Yes, I realise the CR is not properly E. Europe...).

If South Africa can, certainly so can any country in the EU.

*You can argue that South Africa is also too far for most people to go. That was also true of Japorea. But those were politically correct "statement" venues, to give them a bit of the fun. Why not indeed.

EDIT: Denmark is also a possibility in my eyes.

That was one of the most successful, most well-attended, funnest World Cups ever. I do think Canada should be judged worthy of being let into the fun, and Mexico has been given it too many times.
C'mon, "funnest" isn't even a proper word :p. It's not about that anyway, it's semi-political (in the FIFA vs UEFA sense) and semi-financially driven. Football and fun don't really come into the decision-making process. Brazil got it because it was about bloody time, and it is South America's/LATAM's turn, after previous tournaments run by UEFA and the Asia-Pacific guys.

Certainly, the venues would have been upgraded by then. I'm just thinking that they wouldn't us have a World Cup so "soon" after an Olympics. Other European nations would get jealous...as they invariably are with us.
Olympics have nothing to do with it. After all, it was a bit of a debacle Germany getting 2006 instead of England - recall it was some West Indian delegate with a colonial chip on his shoulder who cast the final deciding vote. England - the facilities are/will be world class, the infrastructure will be world class, the support will be world class, the team will......ooops.

True. But since Russia is a bit too far* (I think they should get it), it should be a stable country in East Europe like Poland or the Czech Republic. Yes, Poland doesn't have the infrastructure NOW, but it can have it by then. (Yes, I realise the CR is not properly E. Europe...).
Hasn't stopped UEFA from giving the Champions League final to Moscow, has it? Or Athens last year. Or Istanbul in 2005. As I said, practicality and common sense goes out the window when it comes to the corrupt goons of UEFA/FIFA.

If South Africa can, certainly so can any country in the EU.*You can argue that South Africa is also too far for most people to go. That was also true of Japorea. But those were politically correct "statement" venues, to give them a bit of the fun. Why not indeed.
You still think it was about "giving them a bit of fun". Surely you're not so naiive?

Denmark is also a possibility in my eyes.
Nope, even a combined Sweden/Denmark bid is impossible as the infrastructure (even with the Copenhagen-Malmo bridge) just cannot cope with such a global event of this size. The Euro Championships sure, but not the WC.

C'mon, "funnest" isn't even a proper word :p.

I'm also thinking of "biggiest" as my future coinage. If it worked for Truthiness, it can so TOO work for biggiest!

It's not about that anyway, it's semi-political (in the FIFA vs UEFA sense) and semi-financially driven. Football and fun don't really come into the decision-making process. Brazil got it because it was about bloody time, and it is South America's/LATAM's turn, after previous tournaments run by UEFA and the Asia-Pacific guys.

Right, precisely. It is about in large part about turning a profit, and US/Canadian dollars/Euros are the way to go.

I realise CONCACAF aren't exactly in like Flynn with Blatter, but there could be a change of management by then, who knows what allegiances may form. Certainly Platini is not a shoe-in for future Prez, like he thinks he is.

Olympics have nothing to do with it. After all, it was a bit of a debacle Germany getting 2006 instead of England - recall it was some West Indian delegate with a colonial chip on his shoulder who cast the final deciding vote.

No, it was a little more nefarious than that...but you know, that's FIFA. They make the Olympics committee look like Scouts and Guides.

England - the facilities are/will be world class, the infrastructure will be world class, the support will be world class, the team will......ooops.

Don't worry. We can always bribe another Russian linesman like last time. :D

Hasn't stopped UEFA from giving the Champions League final to Moscow, has it? Or Athens last year. Or Istanbul in 2005. As I said, practicality and common sense goes out the window when it comes to the corrupt goons of UEFA/FIFA.

Olympics and World Cup are on par with each other. Euro or CL championships, as another example, are on levels below. That was my line of reasoning.

You still think it was about "giving them a bit of fun". Surely you're not so naiive?

That was my PC way of spelling it out because I don't really want to get into any kind of side argument why and why not...

Nope, even a combined Sweden/Denmark bid is impossible as the infrastructure (even with the Copenhagen-Malmo bridge) just cannot cope with such a global event of this size. The Euro Championships sure, but not the WC.

I believe Blatter said no more dual-nation hosts, which of course would knock down my Canada/USA double bid, but I think they might reconsider -- Scandinavia has more of a link to each other, historically, than even Britain and Ireland...

(That dual-bid would be my REAL non-PC suggestion for the next European WC, BTW)

OK gotcha, agree on most things there, but you know, pffffff...bollix to political correctness.

Let's face it, Blatter is a loon, a bigoted corrupt loon at that - witness his suggestion on how to make women's football* more attractive to TV audiences (skimpy shorts :D), or how WC revenue continually goes 'missing'. Like every tin-pot dictator, he still managed to be re-elected by standing unopposed. Platini is his protoge, now cemented at UEFA - witness his ludicrous directive about restructuring the hugely successful CL with instant group places going to the likes of Moldova etc. Numpty. There was a distinct hand of Blatter in Platini getting elected in the first place (..."look 'Pa, no strings!"), and the treatment of the ageing but decent Lennart Johanssen was disgraceful IMO. Still, I've had an intense dislike of Platini since May '85 when he celebrated that penalty far too enthusiastically given what the players knew had happened by then. I'm sure it's on YouTube if you're interested.

As for a Scandinavian World Cup, I'd love to see it as would I'm sure Ape, Admin, Dani et al but let's be realistic, it ain't gonna happen. Have you actually been to those countries V? Never mind the infrastructure, do you know what their largest capacity stadium is? Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg only 43,000, Parken in Copenhagen 42,000, with the rest in the mid-20s. Nowhere near big enough. And don't say 'oh they'll just build bigger stadiums by then'. It doesn't work like that.

I think it'll be England for the reasons I gave already, plus the fact that it's Blatter's official standby venue should South Africa not have everything in place in time for the beginning of 2010. Unlike Wembley they don't have the security of having an extra 3-4 year extension to complete the new stadia :rolleyes:

* I actually caught a bit of the recent women's WC and was pleasantly surprised - standard was much better than I thought, Norway were good value, the Brazilians a pleasure to watch, and the Germans ruthlessly efficient.....in fact, no different to the mens' game :lol:

I'm going to be a little sexist here..

Women's football *cringe*

Because of the lack of other things do watch at sea, I watched most of Norway's games in this last WC. ..I can't help it.. it's the most annoying sport I watch. The pitch looks huge, general skills are mediocre (compared to the best women) and the passing is horrendous.. and one of the best, Marta, Brazil's alleged 'ace', is too hyped for her own good. Some norwegian player said "Marta would dominate the norwegian top league were she allowed to play with the men!" ..fine, Norwegian club football is not all that, but Marta would not stand a chance! The world cup winning Norwegian team used to play training matches against boys U-18 teams. They didn't win all or even MOST of them.

That being said.. I don't have any issues with women playing the sport to the best of their abilities.. We can't judge them against men, but don't make it out like it's supposed to entertain me as much or even more than male football.

OK gotcha, agree on most things there, but you know, pffffff...bollix to political correctness.

Let's face it, Blatter is a loon, a bigoted corrupt loon at that - witness his suggestion on how to make women's football* more attractive to TV audiences (skimpy shorts :D),

No way! I am going to have to agree 100% here. ;)

But just to say that Lennart Johanssen was no better. In fact, he gave me the creeps. He very expediently criticised Blatter for the latter's remarks about making the game more "beautiful", as you say, with skimpy shorts and the like, but he himself came out with a similar remark after that.

That really caused a backlash in the female soccer community I can tell you.

As for a Scandinavian World Cup, I'd love to see it as would I'm sure Ape, Admin, Dani et al but let's be realistic, it ain't gonna happen. Have you actually been to those countries V? Never mind the infrastructure, do you know what their largest capacity stadium is? Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg only 43,000, Parken in Copenhagen 42,000, with the rest in the mid-20s. Nowhere near big enough. And don't say 'oh they'll just build bigger stadiums by then'. It doesn't work like that.

Been to each, including Finland (loosely but not factually part of Scandinavia, as you know). I believe even the Swedish league isn't professional, right? There's a technicality about that which escapes me.

I think it'll be England for the reasons I gave already, plus the fact that it's Blatter's official standby venue should South Africa not have everything in place in time for the beginning of 2010. Unlike Wembley they don't have the security of having an extra 3-4 year extension to complete the new stadia :rolleyes:

Well, I'll tell you what.

Italy had it 1990. France in 1998. Germany in 2006. Which major European power is missing?

So yes, you could be right, DBR. In fact, I HOPE YOU ARE! :)

* I actually caught a bit of the recent women's WC and was pleasantly surprised - standard was much better than I thought, Norway were good value, the Brazilians a pleasure to watch, and the Germans ruthlessly efficient.....in fact, no different to the mens' game :lol:

I was "turned" on to the Women's WC in 1999 for the first time. My God, what a slog, except for the Brazilians with Sissi's free-kicks, and their dazzling individual skills.

The brazen, professional-minded Norwegians.

The magnificent Swedes, with their own brand of "total football".

The German ladies who just NEVER stopped scoring, even if it were 8-0 in the 89th minute, you get a sense they were gunning for 9.

And the US ladies who were, at the time, the total package for their gender. They were a joy to watch.

But guess what again?

What you wrote cannot be improved upon. It was perfect! And spot on.

Wow, that's the second time I'm in agreement with you. Your place or mine? :p

I'm going to be a little sexist here..

It's only sexist if you believe women shouldn't be playing football, not that when they do, they play badly.

(That is, in your opinion, especially as compared to the male version)

Having a viewpoint which is based on a gender shouldn't automatically be qualified as sexist, IMHO. I resent when feminists try to make it out as such.

However, I've been around a few soccer-loving men in my time, where you can see that their references to women, their intelligence, their skills, etc. are an irritant to them.

That's when bells start going off in my mind.

So I'm watching you, Ape, I'm watching you!! :p:lol:

J/K! Maybe.

Italy had it 1990. France in 1998. Germany in 2006. Which major European power is missing?
Let's not forget my first (and probably best) WC - Spain '82 - the little squeezy orange mascot, Naranjito :D

Wow, that's the second time I'm in agreement with you. Your place or mine? :p
Worrying definitely. But still, rude to turn down a proposition I always say, so I'll go with 'your' place. Although you might find it hard to gain my attention should there be womens' beach volleyball on the TV ;)

Let's not forget my first (and probably best) WC - Spain '82 - the little squeezy orange mascot, Naranjito :D

I still have my Footix!

But euh...as the French would say...would you consider Spain a major European power? In 1982, especially?

I wouldn't. If they are, then Portugal should be too, then or now, and as they recently held a very professional EC, I'm sure they would be our greatest competitors for a bid.

Nice stadia they have too...gulp.

Worrying definitely. But still, rude to turn down a proposition I always say, so I'll go with 'your' place. Although you might find it hard to gain my attention should there be womens' beach volleyball on the TV ;)

SEXIST!

No wait, that's just normal. Carry on.

I still have my Footix!

But euh...as the French would say...would you consider Spain a major European power? In 1982, especially?

I wouldn't. If they are, then Portugal should be too, then or now, and as they recently held a very professional EC, I'm sure they would be our greatest competitors for a bid.

Nice stadia they have too...gulp.

Footix? Oh that cockerel thing with the Asterix moniker? Could be worse you could have that German lion thing that looked like it had a nasty case of the mange.....and consequently sent the toy company that produced it bankrupt it was so unpopular :lol:

Oh and Spain are one of the Big Five European countries/markets - that's all I meant.

SEXIST!

No wait, that's just normal. Carry on.

Hey, not like I can't multi-task....as long as I can see the TV in the background :whistling:

Having a viewpoint which is based on a gender shouldn't automatically be qualified as sexist, IMHO. I resent when feminists try to make it out as such.

Who are YOU to tell ME I'm not sexist?! :D

..I meant my *cringe* was sexist.

..Fair points, but I have to admit, I sometimes stumble upon a game on TV and I go "OOOH Football!" Only to go "..awww.. -sigh- WOMEN.." ..usually I have to see 3 or 4 players before I can decide if they are male or female. *cough*Voronin*cough* ;)

..and as an aside.. The first WC I remember, and what really sparked my interest in the game, was Mexico '86. I remember Kinder eggs with those little green and white sombrero-wearing mexican mascots, I still have a few around somewhere. :) ..my Liverpool-supporting cousins MADE me choose an English team to support the following autumn. I could not choose Liverpool, and I liked the Arsenal jerseys. :)

Who are YOU to tell ME I'm not sexist?! :D

..I meant my *cringe* was sexist.

LOL!

Here's a little cheat sheet about sexism:

1- Do you look at women as you would a car, for looks or for function alone?

2- Do you wish women would stay away when really important things are being done?

3- Do you think women are "less complete" beings as compared to men?

4- Are you just more comfortable around men and male-driven interests, and are resentful when women come by?

Then you ARE GAY!!! :lol:

Just kidding. This time, not "maybe".

These above are sexist thoughts, which few Western males can get away with espousing.

Some women go further, but really, this above for me is the important stuff. Being told that women talk too much, shop too much etc. for me, is true.

Why should it be sexist to say the truth?

..Fair points, but I have to admit, I sometimes stumble upon a game on TV and I go "OOOH Football!" Only to go "..awww.. -sigh- WOMEN.." ..usually I have to see 3 or 4 players before I can decide if they are male or female. *cough*Voronin*cough* ;)

:lol:

I say the same thing about the Portugal side!! They all look like women...with really long greasy hair. :yuk:

..and as an aside.. The first WC I remember, and what really sparked my interest in the game, was Mexico '86. I remember Kinder eggs

Oh I love Kinder eggs!! Too bad most Americans have NO clue what Kinder eggs are.

with those little green and white sombrero-wearing mexican mascots, I still have a few around somewhere. :) ..my Liverpool-supporting cousins MADE me choose an English team to support the following autumn. I could not choose Liverpool, and I liked the Arsenal jerseys. :)

LOL, cool. I'm a Spurs supporter because my granddad was, and he took me to WHL when I was a little girl. But I'm a Fluminense supporter because they had a cute tradition of putting powder on their faces.

Who's to say why one chooses what one does? ;)