When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are there no 6497/8 based watches with a bezel that rotates?

chris5264

This is kind of frustrating, the 6497/8 is my favorite movement to base a watch on, but I also like the idea of a rotating bezel to keep track of time intervals. I found two watches using the Unitas (ETA) that use inner rotating bezels (Swiss army air boss mach 4 and a Riedenschild ) but none with external. My only guess is that with a larger balance wheel there could be problems with the spring getting tangled since as the bezel clicks it could shock the movement. However, this is all I could come up with. If this is just a design issue, I wish someone would come up with one of these.

I agree, I can't see how the shock from a bezel would really be a problem for the movement, also, if it was you could also do a smooth bezel. However, as far as the size, there are 40 mm watches using the 6497, so you should be able to make one that is 42 with the bezel. If this really is just a design issue, I bet if some company made one, it would at least be something new........

Do you really want to be counting on a handwind with or without a bezel while scuba diving? The watch stops when your mainspring winds down since no amount of motion will keep it powered up. No idea if this is the reason but that is what popped into my mind. :D

Not that I dive too much, but I would think this would be an advantage for a manual wind since you know when it is fully wound compared to an automatic without a power reserve which you really have no idea. I'm really starting to think this is just a design issue. Seems like this could work and perhaps be something new, I'm going to email a few watch companies today and see what they say.

The other reason maybe that it is an inexpensive movement and it can be tough to offer one at a higher price without either siginificant rework which smaller companies can't afford or an existing historical heritage (Panerai, etc.). I assume that in general automatics sell better than manual winds - convenience factor. And on the benefit of being able to (forced to) wind to full power you can do the same thing with the automatics. Only watch fanatics prefer handwinds to automatics. :D

Only watch fanatics prefer handwinds to automatics. :D

I bet that is it...generally handwinds make up a small percentage of watches,,,my guess is 90% quartz, 8% autos and 2% handwind, so with that very limited number being made, there are few options with them. B) interesting....