When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tube for vintage Sub case

predfan2001

One of our collectors answered my request for a vintage case with lugholes for my "5513 on a budget" project. I received the new case yesterday and expected it to be the typical vintage cn Sub case with the horrendous crown guards. To my surprise this case has fairly good cgs already. It has no serial numbers or markings of any kind at the lugs. It's supposed to be the case used on a red 1680 rep. The bezel is too thin so it will be replaced with one I have. This is the first case like this I've seen, maybe newer or older rep Sub case?? Unfortunately it has no tube and I'm not sure if a gen will fit without retaping. I'm also hoping a replacement tropic will fit. See what you think:

The 5517 and case that will be the starting point.

S6300551.jpg

The goal is a 5513 that has all white lettering (not yellow) without having a fortune tied up in it. I'm definately not expecting perfection here. The 5517 dial and movement will be used with the "T" removed and the dial will be vintaged. New Sub hands and a replacement tropic crystal will be installed. I have some gen springbars but not sure if I want to try drilling this case. The Silix ETA 5517, case, crystal and hands total about $200 so far not counting shipping.

S6300552.jpg

I'll use a band from the parts bin. Solid oyster, riveted or folded?? Most likely the solid because it feels heavier.

S6300554.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

WOW looks like a great project.. definatly drill out the lug holes.. get the right size cobalt bit and just drill it out using WD40 for lube. its easy.. you can hold the case in your hands using some heavy work gloves and drill with a cordless drill.. the bit will follow the path of least resistance so its hard to screw up the hole. just drill it SLOW and easy so you dont break the bit off in the case.. if you do that then you're in trouble.

cheers

dizz

WOW looks like a great project.. definatly drill out the lug holes.. get the right size cobalt bit and just drill it out using WD40 for lube. its easy.. you can hold the case in your hands using some heavy work gloves and drill with a cordless drill.. the bit will follow the path of least resistance so its hard to screw up the hole. just drill it SLOW and easy so you dont break the bit off in the case.. if you do that then you're in trouble.

cheers

dizz

Yeah I guess I should go ahead, but I didn't have much luck on the last case I tried. I bought a 12 pack of the correct cobalt bits and attempted to drill lugholes in an old Sandoz case. It was very easy to drill so then I tried a Sub case (the one I was going to use for this watch). It had no lugholes but was a vintage plexi crystal case. I used up half of the bits and was only able to drill a tiny dimple. I know from gunsmithing there are many grades of stainless. Maybe this case isn't as hard as the last one I tried.

Edited by predfan2001

I got the tube out of the 5517 to go into my new case. I had tried removing one out of and old case I had and all of the threads came off of the tube. This time I layed the case in a pan and sit it on the stove to heat it up, the tube can right out and with no damage. I'll loctite it into the new case, install new seals and use the rep crown for now. If it ever gives trouble I'll go the gen route since I don't have the proper tools. Now I'm trying to figure out how to install a non date crystal but running into a snag. I guess the tropic is too thick f\to fit into the case....maybe I'll have to use the crystal out of the 5517 as well.