When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can a watch be too big?

xlr8tn

I have been looking over the many Panerai options available as well as straps for quite some time. Since a majority of these are 44mm in size, can a watch actually be too big? Since I have never actually tried one of these on, I'd sure hate to purchase and never wear. I have my eyes on the PAM 111H. I measured my wrist and it is about 6 1/4". Help me make up my mind :)

-brent

My recommendation go to a watch AD:

does not need to have your brand, but try on a 44 or close MM watch and see what you think.

personally, I think it will work for you ; but you are likely approaching the size limit at 44-45 MM with your wrist size.

Breitling has many this size and AD's are pretty easy to find - even big mall jewerly stores have them

www.breitling.com has a dealer listing. Think an EVO, SFSO, GT Bentley would be similar in size to what you are considering.

Omega Planet Ocean(largest version) is another option readily available to try on ; sold in some Macy's and many jewerly stores.

A watch definitely can be too big, for example the 55mm U-Boat

many on this board have expressed the BR 46MM square watch is too big for many who bought it to wear.

Cheers,

M

To answer the question, yes, a watch can indeed be too big. If the case overlaps both edges of the wrist, then it's too big. A more subtle 'too big', is something I found with the 127. Although the case itself wasn't too big on my wrist, I felt the dial was a bit oversized for my tastes. So, purely subjective, but yet, a watch can be too big :)

I agree, this really boils down to personal preference. I was actually thinking about the same thing last night and thinking if a 44mm PAM is too big for my tiny wrist (6" - I'm a tiny Asian dude).

HOWEVER, I did try on a IWC Big Pilot (47.5mm) in an AD and I loved the way it felt and looked on my wrist. To conclude, it really depends on the design of the case. Some watches were designed to appear big and chunky on the wrist while some were designed really for a larger wrist.