When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex experts wanted - Whats wrong with my date font?

perry563

I have a new MBW Sub that I love. However I notice that certain dates the numbers look VERY strange.....too far apart! I just set my watch and the date was on the number 27. I could not believe my eyes....the 2 and 7 were soo far apart! Its like its 2 space 7! Is this the way it should be with a ETA movement within a MBW????????

I also have a TW Best sub and I notice the date font is fine although the date mag is not as strong as compared with the MBW above.

Comments please? Perry.

The question I have is if this is an eta movement why would the date wheel be so different?
It uses an ETA movement but the 'datewheel' you see is just an overlay placed over the actual ETA datewheel.

You need to post a pic, otherwise it's very difficult to help advise if yours is significantly different to normal.

You are right about this....

It's an issue on all newer MBW/MB Subs....

The date wheel is bad printet and on 27 is a huge gap....

Also the datemag is too high it's about 3x

You need a better datewhell,maybe a one from cubicworks....

It#s printed like the gen one also the numbers are smaller that can fix the datemag issue..

Also the datemag is too high it's about 3x

You need a better datewhell,maybe a one from cubicworks....

It#s printed like the gen one also the numbers are smaller that can fix the datemag issue..

I don't know if it is the date mag or date overlay that causes the 3X problem. Probably a combination of the two. The cubic works is nice, but still not correct. The font size is too big. I think they do this on purpose to compensate for the weak date mag. Weak mag + large font = decent replicated look.

Here is a scan of a gen 3135 datedisc and the cubicworks date overlay side by side. The gen font is a lot smaller than the overlay and also a lot more bold. If you are using the cubicworks in gen cases, your date mag will be too big compared to a gen.

Genuine 3135 on left - Cubicworks overlay on right. Both scanned at the same time, side by side for comparison.

datedisccomparisonkd1.jpg

I had issues too with the MBW date wheels.

The mag of the cyclop on the crystal is to strong.

Here with a date wheel which is an MBW one

RolexSub16610MbwTribalised_800_03.jpg

So I ordered a NoobMariner date wheel and now it's loking much better.

(I'll try to shoot some pics of the new one).

Having said that, even with a Noob DW, it might not look like you wish, but bear in mind that a lot of variations exist in genuine Rolex too !

Cheers

Stephane