When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Longevity

kasar

Being somewhat of a replica watch newbie I'd like some input about this issue from the replica experts. How long should a good quality replica last? For example, I'm seriously considering buying one of the Ultimate Panerai watches being sold on these forums for $250-400. Can I expect them to last at least a few years? The reason I ask is that a cheap genuine watch (say Guess etc) is priced around the same mark however I can be sure it will last at least 5 years with a battery change. The other issue is that the sellers are usually in China so repairing the watches can be a problem.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

I bought my first rep in 2003 and it is still working fine now as soon as i pick it up it starts to tick, It was VERY cheep, I have now bought over 30 watches and have had hardly no problems and if you look at my posts you will find i dont treat them with kid gloves. You might need to get them services once in a while but if you get a good one it should last as long as the gen. I have a rep railmaster and have worn it for some of the most arduouse tasks that my job can send my way and it performs perfectly even keeping time better than my wifes gen omega.

This has been asked many times before. The answer is that there is no reason for a rep with a decent movement that is decently maintained not to last for a very, very long time... a lifetime even.

Sure, if you are abusive and never ever service any watch -- rep or genuine -- it will die. In some cases it might last just a few months or a year or two.... or it might last for a number of years. But it will die. Mechanical watches are complex, delicate mechanisms.

As many people have pointed out, quality control is not a strong point of the rep factories. But that is why, if you seriously care for one of your quality reps, and particularly one that uses a 7750 movement, you will invest $200 to $300 extra to have it serviced by someone like The Zigmeister.

A lot of people perpetuate the 'servicing myth' claiming that every mechanical watch dies and cannot last more than about five years... that is just simply a lie, perhaps started by some people who have made a very lucrative profit from its spread across these forums.

I have a 30-year-old automatic 21-jewel orient that has never been serviced and still works.

I have a 100+ year old Patek Philippe that died in 1983, was serviced, runs perfectly still and has never been serviced again.

Servicing a rep is money into the TRASH BIN. Why? Because a correct service will cost around $200 (cheaper services are not recommended, as they do not fully overhaul the timepiece and can sometimes even affect it adversely even if performed by "swiss trained technicians".) Some people will disagree with me.. those who have spent hundreds of dollars on this probably.. but what is the point of servicing a $200 watch for $200 when, after it dies in 10++++ years, you can just get a new one because, more than likely, you will be bored with it anyway!!! Not to mention that, if it has gold on it, it will have probably peeled off by then.

This is an issue that really burns my biscuits. But it's your money, do with it what you want! You can even take it and flush it down the toilet if you want.... if you think hard enough... you may be able to convince yourself it a positive gesture towards the longevity of the watch, 'cuz you don't fix what ain't broken!

Corgi out

I have to agree with most of the guys. I've had a Submariner with an ETA 2836-2 movement from Paul, never serviced so far and is running quite well. However I do notice some wear and tear on the watch in general, for example the threading on the crown/tube and other aesthetics's. I will eventually have the movement serviced and then have it transplanted into another watch that comes with an Asian movement :)

Regards,

VW

Replicas simply do not last for very long (as functional timepieces) unless serviced properly by an expert..but again this could be a general feature of mechanical watches. Even so my genuine watches are 40+ and 100+ years old an run like clockwork to present.

Replicas are for the eye only not for longevity.

Simply put "I would recommed to save up for a genuine quality watch if you care for Longevity"

Regards

Gran ^_^