When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP from Josh, fine for a year, but we have some problems.

CTJoyce

Alright so here is the story. I bought this watch 13 months to the date as I post this. Back in June someone was examining my SMP and managed to lose the helium release valve cover. I was sort of [censored] but I let it go. Then in Aug I took a trip to Florida, and had the SMP in a watch case in a carry on bag. It was ticking when I packed it, but not when we got off the plane. Winding it did absolutely nothing, however shaking it for a while would make it tick for maybe 15 ~ 20 seconds. Obviously I have given it some time to settle and rewind it but still nothing.

So at this point I am just ready to bring it in and get it cleaned. There is a local watch smith that I totally trust, and I was going to bring it to him, but first I need to find a place where I can buy a replacement valve cover, so who has a link.

Cheers

Cameron

Alright so here is the story. I bought this watch 13 months to the date as I post this. Back in June someone was examining my SMP and managed to lose the helium release valve cover. I was sort of [censored] but I let it go. Then in Aug I took a trip to Florida, and had the SMP in a watch case in a carry on bag. It was ticking when I packed it, but not when we got off the plane. Winding it did absolutely nothing, however shaking it for a while would make it tick for maybe 15 ~ 20 seconds. Obviously I have given it some time to settle and rewind it but still nothing.

So at this point I am just ready to bring it in and get it cleaned. There is a local watch smith that I totally trust, and I was going to bring it to him, but first I need to find a place where I can buy a replacement valve cover, so who has a link.

Cheers

Cameron

The HEV valve covers have been hard to find replacements for from what I have read on the forum. Good luck!

As to the movement, I know The Zigmeister has said that the A7750 movements (chrono) are generally pretty dry when new, and should be serviced around the 9month mark, after which they should be good for the usual 5 years or so between servicings. This may hold true for the movement on yours. If not properly serviced, the movement may stop.

Another sad story of a "brilliant absence" of any kind of QC

Some dealers (with dropshipping practices) are working with wholesallers and distributors (which are really the guys that actually pick up and send the watch to you).

Some or many of these guys , they simply have the "send them anything" attitude.

BAN DROPSHIPPING !!!

Did I miss something here? What does drop shipping a watch have to do with a watch that worked perfectly fine for 13 months? I support your view on drop shipping, but come on, that has nothing to do with this topic. The watch was worn for a year, then the helium valve fell off, that sucks, and probably contributed to the movement breaking. It looks like all the watch needs is a new HE valve which another member convered and a service which is never a bad idea anyway.

The HE valve cover is attached with a screw on the inside of the case.

It could be that the HE screw fell out (since it's not attached to the valve anymore) and got jammed up in the movement. Or, more likely the movement is contaminated from dirt and stuff getting sucked in via the missing HE cover.

Everytime you wear a watch it warms up, when you put it down it cools off. Hot and cold acts like a vaccum on an unsealed case and sucks in impurities and crap, which in turn gets into the movement and finally it grinds to a halt...

But even worse is that while flying the pressure went from ground level to 8000 feet and then back to ground level. This pressure change will cause the case to suck in anything loose from your carry on bag, which is probably why it quit when you landed. Next time your at altitude, open a plastic bottle of water and seal it up again, and when your back on the ground, note how it's caved in on the sides...this is what the watch would have experienced.

It's probably going to need a full teardown and cleaning to get it going again.

Josh has nothing to do with the missing HE cover, this is a common problem and easily corrected by gluing the cover in place.

RG

Did I miss something here? What does drop shipping a watch have to do with a watch that worked perfectly fine for 13 months? I support your view on drop shipping, but come on, that has nothing to do with this topic. The watch was worn for a year, then the helium valve fell off, that sucks, and probably contributed to the movement breaking. It looks like all the watch needs is a new HE valve which another member convered and a service which is never a bad idea anyway.

I know and you are right. B)

I just wanted to express my own pain. -_-