When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Famliar With Zodiac Brand?

gpuck

I saw some pretty nice looking watches made by Zodiac at a store today. Sign said they are Swiss made. Had some nice big GMT watches for around $200. Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks,

Gpuck B)

Once upon a time, Zodiac was the maker of the Sea Wolf which was an awesome watch. That would have been late 60's to early 70's I think. I wish I could have mine back restored like new.

Bill

Zodiac was an old proud Swiss watch company which sort of went out of business and Fossil recently bought the name and revived it. Guess is they are Asian parts maybe assembled in Switzerland as the "Swiss Made" isn't what it used to be.

I don't care for the new ones. I liked the vintage ones.

The quartz divers look nice but I dislike quartz. The automatic ones that just came out look like some Seiko abomination, IMO. Those hands! Those hands. :thumbdown:

One of my early watch purchases was a TT Zodiac "Red Point" Dive watch for $250. I took it scuba diving last summer down to 100ft which is as far as I'm going! The watch did fine. Ironically, the dial says automatic, but the movement is quartz- must have been at the tail end of the production run when they were switching from auto movts to quartz.

Last year I bought my nephew a Zodiac Desert Shadow Chrono for like $125 on the bay- quartz w/ wr to 100m as I recall. He's been happy w/ it. Not like a rep, at least you can go swimming w/ it!

I ran across a place in Florida yesterday that sells older Zodiacs, red points, silver points, stuff from the 90's and prices ran from $500 up to around $1500. Collector's items now.

One of my early watch purchases was a TT Zodiac "Red Point" Dive watch for $250. I took it scuba diving last summer down to 100ft which is as far as I'm going! The watch did fine. Ironically, the dial says automatic, but the movement is quartz- must have been at the tail end of the production run when they were switching from auto movts to quartz.

Last year I bought my nephew a Zodiac Desert Shadow Chrono for like $125 on the bay- quartz w/ wr to 100m as I recall. He's been happy w/ it. Not like a rep, at least you can go swimming w/ it!

I ran across a place in Florida yesterday that sells older Zodiacs, red points, silver points, stuff from the 90's and prices ran from $500 up to around $1500. Collector's items now.

The old ones like the Seawolf were classics...the new "Zodiac" is a branding company, and source most of their stuff from China... I would say the quality is comparable to a Timex.