When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Chrono Avenger - In Costco!

cskent69

So I am strolling through the Costco to get some frozen chicken - and I stop by the Jewelery counter because there is always 1 super high end watch there. Lo and behold - it is the Breitling Chrono Avenger - Black Dial. The same model rep watch I also happened to have on my wrist! Amazing. So I spend a good 10 minutes examining it through the glass and then could not stand it. So I finally found someone to open the case so i could examine it in person. Here are my thoughts:

1. The Rep is remarkably close. Same size, same metal color, etc.

2. The dial needs just a little work. The 5 minute lum markers are too small on the rep and the date window is too small.

3. The date wheel font is wrong - so even if you put in a new dial - you will need to replace the date font. The current date cutout is not large enough anyway - so replacing the dial would help. Not sure if it could even be done - as have not found anyone who has done that yet.

4. The bracelet is "correct" but the quality on the rep is off. It is just not as tight - especially the clasp and the engravings are not as deep and clean.

All in all - though - I was pretty happy with the rep gen comparison.

Sorry I could not show any pictures. Breit's do not get enough attention on this board.

Breit's do not get enough attention on this board.

True. Navitimer, Chrono Avenger and SeaWolf are all excellent and underrated reps.

True. Navitimer, Chrono Avenger and SeaWolf are all excellent and underrated reps.

Yes they are great reps, some of the best I own. Only downfall I beleive, except for the Seawolf, is the movement. But when the Asian 7750 dies in my two Chrono Breits I'll be doing an ETA 7750 swap! I just got this Navitimer in the mail today! Much thanks to Andrew (Trusty Watch Guy)!

60056-34832.jpg

Jon

I've always found the Seawolf to be the closest to the gen.

Seawolf if very nice rep. Main flaw is the "300m" on the back. I actually have the SS version of this watch which looks more like a Super Ocean. I've thought about doing a conversion but the bezel is slightly different. For now I'll let it remain a fantasy model, though it is one of my favorite watches. Love the heavy steel and polished finish!

Cheers,

Jon :victory:

it's the italics that kill it for me on the seawolf. if it weren't for that, i'd be all over a yellow dial.

i was looking on ebay the other day for a gen dial, but came across none.

and @jon

love the memphis belle shot in the bg. great watch and great shot!

it's the italics that kill it for me on the seawolf. if it weren't for that, i'd be all over a yellow dial.

i was looking on ebay the other day for a gen dial, but came across none.

and @jon

love the memphis belle shot in the bg. great watch and great shot!

Thanks! It'll be ETA 7750 in just a few weeks!

Jon :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Breitlings are my favorite reps by far. Nothing like them in my opinion. And I think the chrono avenger is a better looking rep than the seawolf, although the seawolf aint to shabby.

(I am actually saddened that they are being sold at costco!! Say it aint so...)

The Chrono Avenger was still $2400. Just cuz it was at Costco didn't mean it was cheap. Also - I asked how many they had in stock. They only had 2 - and they do not get re-inventoried. So after they are gone - there gone. I still love em.

Breitlings are my favorite reps by far. Nothing like them in my opinion. And I think the chrono avenger is a better looking rep than the seawolf, although the seawolf aint to shabby.

(I am actually saddened that they are being sold at costco!! Say it aint so...)

Breitlings are my favorite reps by far. Nothing like them in my opinion.

I remember when we discussed about Breitling last summer in the old RWG. Didn't really like them a lot but since then they have grown on me tremendously and I'm a happy owner of a Navitimer 7750. ;)

My favourite Breitling is now the Crosswind two-tone with Roman numerals. I sincerely hope they'll rep this beauty eventually:

61694-34529.jpg

@ by-tor - They are the best IMO (breit is to watches as neil pert is to drumming :) ). And it is nice to see that the factories are starting to produce new breitling models! Maybe the chronomat is next!!!

@cskent69 - I know the chrono avenger is not cheap...and it is one of my favorite models...but the whole "costco" thing just generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth, for any watch

This is something I found from the gen watch forums a while back. It's not Crosswind, it's Chronomat. Dunno what's the main difference between the two???

I guess the gen costs a ton so we need a quality rep. And fast. How can you NOT love this watch? And I usually don't even like gold.

61698-34524.jpg

61698-34525.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

BT- Any idea how big that one is?

According to this site it's 43.70mm. Perfect size for me:

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=4722

This is a different dial version but the watch looks same to me.

And I think I figured it out. Crosswind is part of the Chronomat series and just a name of the model, like Navitimer "Montbrilliant". Did I get it right? ;)

Edited by By-Tor