When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UN-laid off!

llsteve80

So get this.... As I predicted, business is crap without me and I have been asked to go back to work on a temp basis. Good timing too, with the holidays coming around. I still have cars, and also a box of phones and blackberrys to sell so everyone is getting a present this year! 2 days a week for a week or 2, then 3 days thanksgiving week and a full week after that, then back to 2 days a week for an indefinite period. Too bad I don't even like the job that much.........

Congrats

Um, what do you do for a living if I may ask?

I usually just call it "shipping" because it is an all encompassing term, but namely I have to inventory everything that is supposed to go on the trucks to make sure its all there, enter and print invoices, and then check the trucks to make sure they are loaded properly, that is regards to order of delivery and weight distribution. Thats the description at least.

Here's the rest I end up doing.

When one driver calls in sick at 1am for a 2am run, I get to call a different driver and wake up his entire house to ask if he wants the run for that day.

If a vehicle breaks down on the road, I use the GPS, internet, international dealers mechanics guide, and yellow pages to find a towing company, mechanic and sometimes parts store or rental vehicle if necessary.

If anything goes wrong, anywhere, I get blamed because I should have caught it. 9 out of 10 times it is later discovered that the driver was just covering their own ass.

Hmm reading that, it sounds like I'm bitter, but I was trying to make light of it. I did this job from '97-02, then again from mid 05-9/07. In between, I was in sales.

I will gladly go back any time to help, my father is the GM and his best friend, who I believe is also my sisters godfather, owns the place.

We sell tropical and saltwater fish to pet stores throughout the midwest as well as small animals such as ferretts, hamsters, etc and reptiles. I actually was going to dunk my sub in the boss's reef tank for the TWP photo contest but he never got it up and running before the deadline. That would have rocked.