When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quartz Watch seconds hand is ticking irregularly

Jaymoi

Hi All,

I have a bit of a problem with one of my watches, which last week i just sold!

I own a blingy Jacob & Co watch, which i have outgrown (taste wise) and i have now sold it on.

As i haven't used this watch in a very long time i sold it without looking at it, stupidly assuming everything was working fine on it.

I now have noticed that the seconds hand marker is ticking irregulary. It is ticking every two seconds, but every two seconds it makes tow RAPID ticks.

Example:

TickTick(pause two seconds)TickTick(pause two seconds) and so on. So it does keep the correct time, but the way it has decided to do so is slightly odd!

I need to have this fixed rapido, as i now have an obligation to fulfill to the buyer of this watch, and do not want to let them down.

Any help in this matter will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Moi :animal_rooster:

Great! Thank you Andy! Now i have never taken a rep watch to a watchsmoth before for a battery change, am i likely to run into any troubles?

NOW, time for my next question. :lol:

It has a polyurethane strap on it, now there is a small tear on the strap, near the case of the watch. Is there like a special glue i can use to seal the tear up?

It really is a small tear, but none the less i would like to repair it before i send the watch out.

Thanks!

Moi

@Jaymoi,

Totally agree with Fxrandy here, that is symptomatic of a low battery. (Some movements have this feature to indicate same)

Have the existing battery tested, and if it is low, replace.

If it has a good charge, it probably will be dirty terminals/contacts.

If that fails, it will need circuit testing (probably the coil), as it sounds like the quartz crystal is OK.

Maybe try a mall battery guy, they only want the $$$$ :p

Do you know what movement it has?

As far as the strap, you could try some superglue, just dont get that stuff near the watch.

If that doesn't work, I don't have too many more ideas, maybe try some two part epoxy?

Offshore