When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experiencing some problems with my GMT

Centurion

Help!

Spent the last weekend in London partying with my friends. Apparently, London-clubbing wasn't very rep-friendly. After waking up saturday morning the dial marker at 12 had fell off, and the second hand seems loose. It doesn't sweep anymore, just stands still.

Here's some pictures:

cimg0145zu9.jpg

cimg0148gw5.jpg

cimg0148gw5.6b7400d5bc.jpg

Does anyone have any tips regarding what i should do to fix this problem?

No, it's supposed to be an ETA swiss movement. purchased the watch from a well-known collector about 6 months ago.

I have no experience what-so-ever with fixing watches, but if I were to do this job myself, what would it take?

1. Remove the back

2. Screw the crown out

3. Remove the movement and dial

4. Remove the hands

5. Glue on the 12-marker

6. Put the 2nd hand on the pinion.

Was that reasonable?

I also experience some problems. You can see it here

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/olli3000/

In nutshell the story:

- bought one GMT from Paul (maybe it was 2004) and one black sub from King

- GMT worked only half a day, then 24hour hand could not be adjusted anymore

- an opinion of watchsmith in Tallinn, Estonia who looked at it: "this is not a watch"

- cost a bit below USD200 for that watch (very expensive considering total wearing time of about 10 hours..)

Sub:

- after 2 - 3 months the thread of the crown and/or crown tube was broken

- to my surprise, I got new crown and tube free of charge from King

- the installation of those in Estonia (I cannot do by myself)

- did not like black anymore, went to Tommy, for to upgrade it to LV sub with superluminova dial and hands (the reason to go for modding - superluminova, nothing else)

- got it back from him I realized he is not watchmith at all, poor result. Sent it back and got it somehow fixed.

- only using it occasionally, then one drop.. and finish!

- total cost maybe EUR 450, including mods

- the movement itself on the sub is quite OK, it was running well

So, after about 3 years I have 2 pcs of Chinese junk in my hands, "worth" about 600 Eur.

My opinion - these watches are collective items or hobby, but not for wearing (unless occasionally). And if one is not able to do overhauling or repair of these pieces by himself (hobby!) - it is wasting of money to pay for somebody else for that. The watch will not work in everyday duty. And - if it might work - some day it will need to be serviced but no real watchsmith is willing to touch it.

Just my opinion

Well, Artist, you know what they say, "A good watchsmith, priceless." I've found if you're going to enjoy this hobby, you got to have a good watchsmith. Luckily, I have two of them!

And Centurion, I think you'd be best off having a watchsmith look at your seconds hand issue. I don't think it'll be an expensive fix, but I'm afraid if you try to do it yourself, you'll be sorry. Besides, if you need a part or two, it shouldn't be a big deal for a watchsmith.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since I finally found some spare time in my schedule Monday night I thought I'd take the chance and pop open my rep GMT to fix the problem(s).

THis was my very first time opening a watch so you can say that I was somewhat stressed about what might happen. But, I thought what the hell, I have nothing to lose.

I tried to take some photos, and they ended up looking like [censored], but I can add some anyways.

cimg0203pf9.jpg

cimg0204vn0.jpg

THe conclusion is that I fixed the problem, so i'm quite satisfied right now :D