When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever owned a MBW Vintage Explorer II orange hand?

Balance

I`m thinking of buying a vintage MBW EXPLORER II ORANGE HAND.

I wanted to know if it accepts original crystal and other parts.

Does anyone think it`s better than the owns by trustytime or silixprime.

Thanks!

Murray

Murray,

Do you have a source to get an actual MBW 1655? I'd love to know. I was tired of waiting so I had a franken put together of 3 different models available from our various dealers. Here are some pix to illustrate what can be done.

Good luck in your quest and let us know if you have any special info on an MBW verison.

DSCN4548.jpg

DSCN4536.jpg

There is no "MBW" 1655. Certainly not one even approaching the near-1:1 case spec of the 1680/1665 which can accept gen parts. Beware anyone who tells you otherwise.

Same deal with the 1675 - there was an 'MBW' 1675 a good while back but it was an awful attempt, thick case, wrong bezel etc. didn't accept gen parts either.

• Like 1

Murray,

Do you have a source to get an actual MBW 1655? I'd love to know. I was tired of waiting so I had a franken put together of 3 different models available from our various dealers. Here are some pix to illustrate what can be done.

Good luck in your quest and let us know if you have any special info on an MBW verison.

Here`s a few pics. I`ve never uploaded a pic before so I hope this works.

post-8092-1195166338_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166312_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166325_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166296_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166272_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166348_thumb.jpg

Here`s the pics again, but bigger!

post-8092-1195166946_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166935_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166981_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166970_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166958_thumb.jpg

post-8092-1195166990_thumb.jpg

Please view the larger pics I`ve attached.

Paso has it for sale. He doesn`t claim for it to be perfect by any means, but it is an MBW model. He doesn`t know if it accepts a genuine crystal, or any genuine parts

Is this case too thick?

Who sells one with a slimmer case and lugholes through the lugs???

Murray

Ok well it is a twin lock, and at least the outer indices extend to the edge of the dial, and the straight second hand is an interesting addition (that was an earlier 1655 variant), but other than that, I see nothing here that even comes close to halfway decent.

Repaustria's franken is the king of 1655 reps, with TMG's franken a very worthy 'value' option.

Murray,

This may be from the same supplier of MBW's but it aint an MBW in quality compared to the 1665, 1680 etc, and I'm not knocking Paso in any way don't get me wrong. TTK was offering a 1655 from the same MBW supplier which is 1 of the 3 I mentioned in my franken but the dial on this looks different than mine and glossy too??? The case and bezel look the same, which if it is it will take a gen T116 crystal. I ended up using a different case on mine. The lug holes are a major pain to even attempt to drill out.

If this is at regular MBW prices, I'd pass. You may be better off just changing the hands (see my tip for better hands) and crystal out on Andrew's $248 model (it will accept a gen T116) and give the dial a matte finish coating and aging. The Orange Hand is much better on it, but beware the lug holes aren't drilled all the way through. :rolleyes:

Basically there are no good 1655's out of the box unless you want to pay about $3500 for a Jewelry & Watch franken with gen movement.

Ok well it is a twin lock, and at least the outer indices extend to the edge of the dial, and the straight second hand is an interesting addition (that was an earlier 1655 variant), but other than that, I see nothing here that even comes close to halfway decent.

Repaustria's franken is the king of 1655 reps, with TMG's franken a very worthy 'value' option.

Agreed, RepAustria's 1655 is the KING!

Murray,

This may be from the same supplier of MBW's but it aint an MBW in quality compared to the 1665, 1680 etc, and I'm not knocking Paso in any way don't get me wrong. TTK was offering a 1655 from the same MBW supplier which is 1 of the 3 I mentioned in my franken but the dial on this looks different than mine and glossy too??? The case and bezel look the same, which if it is it will take a gen T116 crystal. I ended up using a different case on mine. The lug holes are a major pain to even attempt to drill out.

If this is at regular MBW prices, I'd pass. You may be better off just changing the hands (see my tip for better hands) and crystal out on Andrew's $248 model (it will accept a gen T116) and give the dial a matte finish coating and aging. The Orange Hand is much better on it, but beware the lug holes aren't drilled all the way through. :rolleyes:

Basically there are no good 1655's out of the box unless you want to pay about $3500 for a Jewelry & Watch franken with gen movement.

Thanks for your reply. How do I "give the dial a matte finish coating and aging"? Is there a good way to do this?

Good to know Andrew`s accepts a gen crystal.

Is Andrew`s case about the same thickness as a gen 1655?

Just to clarify, Andrew`s 1655 doesn`t have lug holes drilled through?

Also to let people know, dealing with Paso has been great!

Thanks!!!

Murray

Thanks for your reply. How do I "give the dial a matte finish coating and aging"? Is there a good way to do this?

Good to know Andrew`s accepts a gen crystal.

Is Andrew`s case about the same thickness as a gen 1655?

Just to clarify, Andrew`s 1655 doesn`t have lug holes drilled through?

Also to let people know, dealing with Paso has been great!

Thanks!!!

Murray

I'm not 100% sure a glossy dial can be made to have matte finish, I'd ask that in the repair & upgrade forum. I recall it being covered before here and some members used a matte varnish with some success. The Trusty Time model that I bought had a glossy dial. I meant aged as in a vintage re-lume job.

I don't think any of them have the correct case thinkness. I believe the 1655 is closer in thinkness to a 1675, most reps use a modern sub or explorer case.

Andrew's case has faux lug holes drilled on the outside of the case that do not line up with the ones on the inside holes of the lugs :bangin: Maybe that has changed???

I'm not 100% sure a glossy dial can be made to have matte finish, I'd ask that in the repair & upgrade forum. I recall it being covered before here and some members used a matte varnish with some success. The Trusty Time model that I bought had a glossy dial. I meant aged as in a vintage re-lume job.

I don't think any of them have the correct case thinkness. I believe the 1655 is closer in thinkness to a 1675, most reps use a modern sub or explorer case.

Andrew's case has faux lug holes drilled on the outside of the case that do not line up with the ones on the inside holes of the lugs :bangin: Maybe that has changed???

That`s too bad that Andrew`s 1655 has faux lug holes on the outside - very strange. If I ever come across a better looking version I`ll be sure and post it.

Have any of you ever purchased the MBW vintage Explorer 1 or MBW James bond watch?

That`s too bad that Andrew`s 1655 has faux lug holes on the outside - very strange. If I ever come across a better looking version I`ll be sure and post it.

Have any of you ever purchased the MBW vintage Explorer 1 or MBW James bond watch?

Never owned either of those models, so I can't add feedback there.

I bought the MBW 1016 and it sucks. I had second thoughts about buying it before I took the plunge. The dial isn't horrible, but the case is a modern style, marked as 14270, but it is fitted with an acrylic crystal? I was hoping to put a genuine movement in it, but it won't fit without some rigging. It is just not worth the $$$. I thought about selling it as soon as I got it, but I couldn't bring myself to ask enough for it to recoup anywhere near what it cost me.

On a positive note Paso was easy to work with on the purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again. The watch just wasn't what I wanted and I can't fault him for that.