When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPhone review

Pugwash

Sorry for the bump, but I've been researching iPhones, and their clone equivelents, and came across a rather disturbing review of the iPhone. I was wondering if anyone with an iPhone could comment about the accuracy of the points raised.

Source:

ok hey everybody iam new here but i looked through the whole site and you guys are awsome!! i have a cect p168 for a while and i love it, it hasent [censored] me off yet, i got 2 bros ones an engineer and the other a comp programer, they ordered one of these phones also and now trying to tweek them up and hopefully get some programs for them, but as soon as ANY program or update will come out the cect p168 will totaly kill the apple iphone, i have an iphone (waste of money and you will see why later below) i had other ipods and i have only one thing to say about them all USELESS!! first you need to have a set up comp to connect and iphone (or ipod) you cant come to your new friends home say oh cool music lets put it on my iphone and then you say oh cr@p do you have internet i need to instal programs first and trash up your computer with alot of useless programs, i bet you and your friend will be very very happy!!! (if there was a emoticon shooting himself in the head thats the time to put one:) ok when i bought the APPLE IPHONE i didnt do my reseach and when i found this i was shocked the iphone is only good for MUSIC and CALLS seriously, ok heres the very beautiful list of good and bad about the apple i phone, and i can add much much more to the bad section from my own experiance with this very expansice piece of trash

The Good

+ Works with standard iPod charger, USB cord

+ Visual Voicemail speeds through large voice mailbox, eases initial setup of greeting and PIN

+ Extremely high-quality text

+ Zoom, pan, and scroll gestures ease UI operation

+ Incoming call smoothly fades out audio, fades back in after call ends

+ Text editor has BlackBerry-like shortcuts for contraction, plus near-miss dictionary

+ Buzzer motor powerful, silent

+ Word, Excel, PDF document viewing built in (no editing); useful for file storage

+ Clever zoomed-in handling of HTML option lists

(wow i already feel like i did a good decision buying the apple iphone (over my dead cats body)

And the BAD

- Touchscreen imprecise; can't adjust for parallax (finger/screen offset)

- Web apps cannot download, upload, or store data

- Web pages cannot be saved for offline viewing

- Cannot browse iPhone's folders by any means

- No Flash, Java, or native application support

- Mail viewer HTML image display, JavaScript can't be disabled

- Yahoo "push" e-mail did not deliver immediately in tests

- Proximity sensor did not answer calls in tests

- Extremely strong radio frequency interference

- Enclosed speaker is too weak for speakerphone and voice mail playback

- Operation of interactive Web sites awkward

- Two-year commitment required for activation

- No voice dialing; full hands-free operation impossible

- No VoIP support for Wi-Fi

- No A2DP (Bluetooth stereo) support

- Battery not user-replaceable

- Memory not swappable or expandable

- Quality of camera is comparatively poor; focus distance limited; no digital zoom; cannot capture video

- No voice-record capability; iPod add-on did not function

- No TV out

- Safari doesn't try to reformat Web page for convenient viewing (like Windows Mobile IE's one-column view)

- Device does not operate in landscape mode in all applications

- Battery drains rapidly with Wi-Fi use; no transmit power setting

- Substantial delay for new voice mail notification

- Will not accept existing SIM card

- No external mute button

- Slow rendering of zoomed HTML content

- Slow JavaScript interpreter, no mouse events hamper Web 2.0 apps

- No streaming audio/video support

- No full-screen view in browser; large button strip always present

- No edit-in-place in Settings; each line of text is a separate entry page

- On-screen keyboard is large, opaque; obscures underlying interface

- No text select/copy/paste

- No rich text editor

- Vertical/horizontal scroll regions too narrow; trip underlying controls

- Feeling for home button can delete e-mail (trash button is bottom center of display)

- No file upload limits use of online document viewers

- Not addressable as USB storage

- Phone audio quality subpar

- No over-the-air sync options

- No third-party software

- Spelling errors are not flagged in text

- Cursor positioning inside editable text is difficult

- Cannot download content for offline playback except through iTunes

- No Bonjour support for iTunes, Web sharing

- Headset jack not phone standard

- iPhone pairs with MacBook Pro Bluetooth, but offers no supported services

- No master inbox covering multiple mail accounts

- Chat substitute uses expensive SMS (Web alternatives available but don

Sorry for the bump, but I've been researching iPhones, and their clone equivelents, and came across a rather disturbing review of the iPhone. I was wondering if anyone with an iPhone could comment about the accuracy of the points raised.

The iPhone has many shortcomings, but this guy lists some things that probably only he cares about. Many of my coworkers have iPhones and the first thing that jumps out at me is how slow they are. So before considering any of its other flaws, just ask yourself if EDGE is fast enough for your needs. The lack of 3G/UTMS support is one of the biggest iPhone blunders IMO. If you get passed that, then try to use the touch screen keyboard a bit to see how you like it. For me and many people I know, that touch screen keyboard is very difficult and frustrating to use. I was relegated to using only my pinkie finger to type mails/messages, and even then I only had about a 75% success rate.

If you can live with the fact that the iPhone is not as robust as other phones, then maybe it's a good choice for you. It is, after all, a neat gadget. On the other hand, if can live with its shortcomings, then perhaps you don't really even need a smart phone...

Accuracy? I'm sure it's accurate in its own way. However, many of his points are like "My soup blender can't grind coffee beans".

The lack of 3G/UTMS support is one of the biggest iPhone blunders IMO.

I don't live anywhere with good 3G (or even consistent Edge) coverage and am relegated to GPRS most of the time. Speedwise, it's ok as long as I'm not trying to stream video, and it's more than fast enough for email and browsing the BBC News site. However, I am usually not far from a WiFi spot.

The iPhone isn't ideal for everyone, much like the Blackberry isn't for everyone, either.

For streaming video, my ATT Tilt (aka HTC Titan) does a great job. One additional benefit, which I am using to post this: you can use the phone as a modem to connect your laptop to the Internet. The hotel we've been staying in this week wanted $16 or so a day for wireless Internet access, so I just connected the laptop and phone, pressed one button, and we're cruising.

Very nice, and acceptably fast connection.

Needless to say, you do want to have an unlimited data plan to do this.

The iPhone has many shortcomings, but this guy lists some things that probably only he cares about. Many of my coworkers have iPhones and the first thing that jumps out at me is how slow they are. So before considering any of its other flaws, just ask yourself if EDGE is fast enough for your needs. The lack of 3G/UTMS support is one of the biggest iPhone blunders IMO. If you get passed that, then try to use the touch screen keyboard a bit to see how you like it. For me and many people I know, that touch screen keyboard is very difficult and frustrating to use. I was relegated to using only my pinkie finger to type mails/messages, and even then I only had about a 75% success rate.

If you can live with the fact that the iPhone is not as robust as other phones, then maybe it's a good choice for you. It is, after all, a neat gadget. On the other hand, if can live with its shortcomings, then perhaps you don't really even need a smart phone...

I've tinkered around with the display models (they have a load in the middle of the store, so people can just play around with them) and I'd agree about the keyboard. While I was able to use it, it was awkward to do so, and, while it was okay to use for a while, I don't think I'd want to use it for extended periods. I think the main sentiment I've picked up for iPhones, is that they're very much 'flash' rather than 'substance'. I think one of the iClones available will be adequate for my needs :)

Accuracy? I'm sure it's accurate in its own way. However, many of his points are like "My soup blender can't grind coffee beans".

I don't live anywhere with good 3G (or even consistent Edge) coverage and am relegated to GPRS most of the time. Speedwise, it's ok as long as I'm not trying to stream video, and it's more than fast enough for email and browsing the BBC News site. However, I am usually not far from a WiFi spot.

The iPhone isn't ideal for everyone, much like the Blackberry isn't for everyone, either.

I've been thinking about getting a PDA-style phone for several years, but never really got round to it. The iPhone caught my attention, but, from what I've read, I think a Cect P168 will be adequate for my needs :)

As i was not much around lately i have bumped into this post just now ... i pretty much agree with all that has been said here but here is my 2 cents for what is worth ...

I got iphone in November unlocked and running all sim cards at the begging i was just impressed by the device in general and coming from an ipod history this looked like the device that will do it all for me .

Before that i used the nokia e90 communicator the nokia 9300i communicator and similar querty design devices ...

The iphone for sure beats them hands down when it come to media playback and features like music listening , videos etc . Also it has by far the best youtube application and a supreme browser wich all do still has some shortcomings like does not support flash still makes it the best phone browser experience till date ... ( i tried lotsa devices back in my history i even tested the phones for a mobile operator for 3 years and that i think gives me some knowledge)

Now regarding the phone part im not so impressed dont get me wrong its good and all but not to my needs ... first when i took it out of the box and realised it wont sinc sontacts from lotus notes i had a first problem ... i have ower 500 contacts with asorted details like phone email adress etc that i coud not transfer to the phone out of that 300 of them are buisness related and that was my first serious pain ... i managed to export that to windows adress book that iphone will sinc with but had all kinda misstakes in the progress .

Second dailing a number from contacts when u have cca 80 people startin with M is a pain in the a.. :) other mobiles will alow u search by letters where in iphone u can only scroll up and down ... not so good

The wi fi is nice works like a charm but not in my office as we use cisco leap protocol that iphone does not support ... it will connect in any wi fi caffe or at my place at home but not in office ....

Input metod now as u can see i have given this some time as i have it for a month or so but i must say i cant get used to it there is no way u will be satisfied with text speed entry if ure coming from a ful qwerty background like me ... also the inability of it to swich to a landscape keyboard layout anywere otside of the browser app is a shame as in landscape mode keyboard is much bigger and easyer to use ...

there are some things more but ill leave that for now ... for the moment im back on my nokia e90 and have a brand new blackberry curve 8300 ... the iphone yes still have it but its just standing in the dock in my apartment ... a shame as its a nice device overall and a true show of ( ladies love it ) just does not cut it for me and my usage .

regards LAZ

first when i took it out of the box and realised it wont sinc sontacts from lotus notes i had a first problem ...

Ok, this isn't an iPhone problem; It's a Lotus Notes problem. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but Lotus notoriously make this difficult for all PDAs when they first come out. This does work on a Mac with Notes, surprisingly, as you can sync Notes with the Mac OSX address book.