When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

so where does the name "Radiomir" come from?

lanikai

so where does.. "radiomir come from and other historical facts from the watch we covet with so much passion?

for those of you who want to go back in time... (more for the members who want a history lesson)..

http://www.panerai.com/s_storia.xpd?mode=r...3&anno=1860

enjoy... and much more info... or ask sssurfer or kruzer ;)

sorry.. i don't consider Movie Stars.. Panerai history.. maybe i'm just old fashion and go more for the "History" and not the 'Trivia" :rolleyes:

sorry.. i don't consider Movie Stars.. Panerai history.. maybe i'm just old fashion and go more for the "History" and not the 'Trivia" :rolleyes:

Hmm. I seeeeeeeeeee.

Since you're insistent on facts maybe you should consider spell-checking your post to Radiomir, not Radomir, unless RADO copied Panerai recently. :lol:

Hmm. I seeeeeeeeeee.

Since you're insistent on facts maybe you should consider spell-checking your post to Radiomir, not Radiomir, unless RADO copied Panerai recently. :lol:

Picky ..picky.. ok teach.. sorry been up since 12 am yesterday .. i shall correct it.. geezz.. not insistent on facts .. just love the years gone by stuff :D

OH, OH...... :D ... nothing like a womans scorn.. or straps

The man speaketh from experience! Painful painful gonad-shrivelling experience. :whistling:

BTW, since we're on the general topic of Radiomirs, here is a nice alternative Radiomir-hommage, the Alpha with Seagull ST19 movement:

alpharadiomirsidede1.jpg

alpharadiomirside2hv3.jpg

alpharadiomirstylecz9.jpg

radiomirstylezk4.jpg

I dunno, I kinda like it. :)

Pricetag? U$100-125!

From: hxxp://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=7711&mode=linear&highlight=st19#post7711

Despite it not being a real Panerai Radiomir, this is what those of you who don't want to be poseurs like Robin Williams, Bill Clinton, Jerome The Bus Bettis and other trivial celebrities should be wearing.

The man speaketh from experience! Painful painful gonad-shrivelling experience. :whistling:

BTW, since we're on the general topic of Radiomirs, here is a nice alternative Radiomir-hommage, the Alpha with Seagull ST19 movement:

alpharadiomirsidede1.jpg

alpharadiomirside2hv3.jpg

alpharadiomirstylecz9.jpg

radiomirstylezk4.jpg

I dunno, I kinda like it. :)

Pricetag? U$100-125!

From: hxxp://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=7711&mode=linear&highlight=st19#post7711

Despite it not being a real Panerai Radiomir, this is what those of you who don't want to be poseurs like Robin Williams, Bill Clinton, Jerome The Bus Bettis and other trivial celebrities should be wearing.

I don't think so....the experience part that is.. :rolleyes: ... but if you' like to think so.. it's ok.. really.. nice piece . thanks for the History lesson teach.. :p

:lol: your following me again...... stalker.. stalker .... :p

WAZZAPPNIN HERE?!? :angry:

----

Thanks lanikai for the OP link. As you look so fond of OP history, may I point you to the book "Panerai Historia" by Giampiero Negretti? Maybe there is some English translation out there.

Thanks vbarrett for the Alpha heads up! I think I just found my source for crystal and lug screws replacements for my 147. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

WAZZAPPNIN HERE?!? :angry:

One day I'll explain it to you. ;)

Thanks lanikai for the OP link. As you look so fond of OP history, may I point you to the book "Panerai Historia" by Giampiero Negretti? Maybe there is some English translation out there.

In the US, they have a system of library sharing called inter-library loan. You go to your local public library and fill out a form with the details of the book you want, the OCLC number, and your library ticket number. Then, if it's available anywhere in the USA, or the UK, you can have borrow the book as if it were in your own library. Some libraries even offer extensions, should you not finish reading said book in the allotted time (usually 2-4 weeks for an ILL).

-- I never did this in the UK, so we could very well have that same system, and/or other countries. Takes a lot of trust towards library patrons, though --

Guess which books I have recently ordered, since the many branches of the Miami Public library system do not offer a single book on Panerai? :D

Thanks for the heads up too, SSS!

Thanks vbarrett for the Alpha heads up! I think I just found my source for crystal and lug screws replacements for my 147. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm glad it came of some use to someone. :)

Do you remember that once I posted an "auction scam" where I believed the seller was inchoately using the word "Radiomir" to sell his Alpha?

A prominent member pointed out that it didn't actually say Panerai on the watch, so it was okay. But surely, I responded, Radiomir is also trademarked by the Panerai marque?

However, even if that is true, I'm not sure how international patents work for terms well over 60 years old.

Yes.. sssurfer ... sometime ago I missed out on his first book "Legendary Watches" .. this supposedly has more of the antique vintage and Historic models... it was on the bay for 40 usd and before I could come back to it.. gone..

so i have it on order from a friend that works at a Bookstore .

the Second of his books "Panerai Historia" .. "From the depths of the Sea" ... is supposedly of the newer Models... and yes it is In English as well as German..it is actually published by OP..

I just like Nostalgia ... and your country as the rest of Europe has tons of historical facts and origins in time pieces..

so that is "my" interest in "History" .. yes, celebraties brought Panerai into the general publics view... but Panerai made Panerai.... "history" that is "my" opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone elses opinion ... because that is their right

I can spend hours in the archives with the original Historical documents of old Hawaii... just to see the Queen Liliuokalani' signature ... or father Damien' .. something about 100 year old documents that turned the tide of history intrigues me ... hence the Historical pictures of the original Panerai timepieces .. captivates me..

but to each his own..

but to each his own..

Let's be plain-spoken here instead of dancing around the topic. I do so hate games, and I'm sorry I played them earlier. The cuteness factor wore off fast.

I took your original post to be a kind of slam towards my continued posting of celebrity wristchecks and small recap of Sylvester Stallone's role in Panerai's recent prominence.

If that is not the case, I'm sorry, but it's difficult to know how to interpret "sorry.. i don't consider Movie Stars.. Panerai history.. maybe i'm just old fashion and go more for the "History" and not the 'Trivia" any other way.

I didn't care for that remark, and worse, the sentiments of disdain they contain.

May I say that my interest in Panerai is acutely historical (do I really need to repeat that I have a degree in History, and am writing a book presently, AGAIN? Perhaps the archive rat pallor doesn't show in my own Wristchecks...).

But that what some people misapprehend, yourself perhaps included, is that those who make history today with Panerai are not submariners risking their lives, torpedoing enemy ships during a war.

They are men and women like you and I. Some just happen to be famous and have their own, however footnote-like place in history. It's not the same, but it's PART of the fabric of understanding the marque.

History is a funny thing. Count to 5. Guess what? Those 5 seconds ago are history. And they all count.

OK.. fair enough ... if some how you felt that I was trying to "slam" you.. then that is a "misunderstanding"... sorry you took that personally.. i thought you were funning and I mistakenly joined in.. and yes every moment that passes is history ...

and my comment about Movie stars and such was the fact that I don't have an attracttion to Panerai because they wear them but as i said .. i have an affinity towards Nostalgia ... : I (that is the buzz word) I don't ... but you do.. and that's all good.. not meaning it is right or wrong.. not everything that is posted has to be that way...I am sure you have posted comments that would disagree with someone .. but it seems that what i said was taken in a very personal context.. not intended i assure you... I make no excuses for what I said

I am not targeting what you said or in the context that it was used V ... it is very simple actually ... I don't (but maybe you do) consider celebrities to have "created" panerai... reality is what each person may concieve it to be..

My post was directed at another member.. i choose to do this .. instead of PM.. I did not think i had anything to hide or was skating around anything.. simply that i found those books would be interesting.. more so the legendary volume ... it was just that no more no less

maybe taking a look at "death by character assasination" would do everyone a bit of good.. :)

My post was directed at another member.. i choose to do this .. instead of PM.. I did not think i had anything to hide or was skating around anything.. simply that i found those books would be interesting.. more so the legendary volume ... it was just that no more no less

I know it was directed at another member. But the words it contained alluded to another post, which made clear your sneering at "celebrity" history, as being worthy to be mentioned in the same breath.

maybe taking a look at "death by character assasination" would do everyone a bit of good.. :)

That didn't make sense, but nevertheless, I think I know what you mean.

I'm fairly good at reading between the lines and very little gets past me, as I'm sure you've noticed by my 'I wasn't born yesterday' retort.

Anyway, let's hope this small interlude is quickly forgotten, and that the more important part of the post -- the History of Panerai, and the suggestion of the Alpha Radiomir, was helpful.

Here's my own quick contribution:

bookka2.jpg

book2ge1.jpg

(Jon, this inscription reminded me of you!)

"About the content of the book:

The book is written in three languages. Each language

has it's column, mostly on the right pages. German

language (left columns), italian language (center columns)

and english language (right columns).

The book format is 21,5 x 21,5 cm.

228 pages hold 147 contemporary / actual photos

and 55 historical photos / documents, which most of them

are yet unreleased (e.g. an extract of a german frogmen's diary).

4 of the 5 watches carry answers and interesting stories about

their previous owners."

You can get info on buying it here:

hxxp://www.network54.com/Forum/353393/message/1195295935/

Price: 79€ + shipping

Nothing pleases snobby-gen-owners more, than to think rep watch collectors are just a bunch of sleazy poseurs and cheats. They believe they are the gatekeepers of the Panerai tradition and history, because they appreciate the marque enough to honour it by buying the gen.

That suggests an investment not only in money, but in appreciation and knowledge.

(I'm not so sure they are far wrong, but that's another story)

But this is one way people who own rep watch PAMs can snub their noses at them, because there are few of us who aren't aware of its history, its importance, and its worth.

Those that don't, do as Ssabripo do and ask. Well, we have your answer in this thread. Enjoy. :)