When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a good time to buy UPO (Ultimate Planet Ocean) or will there be any new even better releases soon?

milsub5517

Guys, are we expecting updated UPO version soon? I would like to see an UPO version that can accept genuine tube and crown so i do not have to worry about threads going bad in a few weeks of daily wear. .. but it looks like it is not a very easy task for manufacturers of these rep cases... its easier to make a push down tube instead of threaded one.

thanks guys.

Edited by mil_sub

The current UPO CAN accept the gen tube and crown, you just have to know what you are doing. If they make the UPO any better it'll be a gen. Outside of the stripping problem and the logo feet, the only other thing is the bezel/insert construction which is nothing like the gen but is pretty spot on.

Lack of double sided AR is pretty much the only thing missing from the UPO. It's a great rep. However I sold mine, because after the initial honeymoon was over, it started to feel clumsy and ugly on my wrist. I never got used to the huge size.

I hope they'll eventually make a ultimate version of the 42mm, which is (imho) much better looking and more balanced watch. I doubt it though.

And to answer your question: No, I don't think they'll ever rep it better.

Lack of double sided AR is pretty much the only thing missing from the UPO. It's a great rep. However I sold mine, because after the initial honeymoon was over, it started to feel clumsy and ugly on my wrist. I never got used to the huge size.

I hope they'll eventually make a ultimate version of the 42mm, which is (imho) much better looking and more balanced watch. I doubt it though.

And to answer your question: No, I don't think they'll ever rep it better.

Thanks for chiming in BT, because of your reviews I have Omega fever BAD! Going to PM you a question sir.

It's probably like with computers.... there will always be a faster, better one.... but if you keep waiting, afraid you might buy a model that will eventually be replaced by a better one, you will continue living without.

If the UPO is what makes you tick... the ones available right now are really good - and remember, no rep will ever be perfect.

Very unusual, as your wrists are significantly bigger than mine and I still find the PO comfy.

Very unusual, as your wrists are significantly bigger than mine and I still find the PO comfy.

It wasn't about the wrist size. I just feel the watch looked clumsy. There's something about that rounded bracelet that made it look unbalanced. "Hockey puck" is bit of a clich

How absolutely refreshing of you, By-tor!

I agree with you 1000%, if some of the bigger watches were a mil or 2 smaller they would be so much more aesthetic and proportioned on the wrist, look so much better.

Sometimes I make myself take a really objective look in the mirror when I'm wearing a big watch and I cringe a little.

People often say that you need a big wrist for a big watch. I'm 6'3, 270 pound ex-competitive powerlifter. I have a 8' wrist, and I still think UPO looked too big on me. I think these XXXL watches are just beyond silly.

I initially liked the watch, but the novelty wore off soon. I think I should have given it a chance on a rubber strap, but then again I have so many more nicer watches to wear. The standard SMP (and the chrono) for example.

This is not to say that folks shouldn't enjoy their UPOs (and big watches generally). Just like fat women, they simply aren't for me. :lol:

wrist1.jpg

Agreed. I've got 7.25 inch wrists and I find the UPO very comfortable. The only problem I've had with the size is that it make my other watches feel so tiny when I go from the PO to something like my SSD (never mind the DJ - that thing feels like a lady's watch after the UPO!).

But, that's what makes the world go 'round, right? :D

Be aware of that the UPO from Andrew ( Trusty Times ) ( october 2007 ) does NOT have a eta 2824 movement ( at least my did not ! ), my UPO had a eta 2842 ( 21600 bph ) movement as is in the Swatch watches.

I send pictures of the movement ( very clear and sharp ones ) but he still said it was a eta 2824 in it, and he said that my VERY good pictures was unclear and that he dit not have so good computer!!!???

He refused to admit that he had send me a UPO with the wrong movement!!

Heard that it is difficult to get eta 2824 movements in china for the moment!

Some of the UPO from PT has the eta 2842, but he admit it and will get the right ones and replace them I have read!!!

Other flaws:

The backside of the UPO has NOT the right "seahorse", it was a lot sharper and "flat"and not as smooth and "rounded" as the genuine one ( think that the 4:th generation has the right "seahorse" on its backlit.

Klockkind is absolutely correct. There is a thread in the main forum by TWP on the lack of 2824 movements in China and that most UPO's sold since the past 2-3 months have the 2842 movement, and thus he yanked his UPO listings.

I cannot believe Andrew would not honor your pics, and because of that, I've stopped dealing with Andrew or Josh.

Klockkind is absolutely correct. There is a thread in the main forum by TWP on the lack of 2824 movements in China and that most UPO's sold since the past 2-3 months have the 2842 movement, and thus he yanked his UPO listings.

I cannot believe Andrew would not honor your pics, and because of that, I've stopped dealing with Andrew or Josh.

what a shame :(

I was thinking of getting an UPO...

r u saying that all the dealers on this forum sell the UPO 45mm with 2842 movements???

does anyone know which dealer genuinely sells the UPO with 2824-2???

I can't stand an automatic watch that's does NOT have smooth sweeping hands...

what a shame

I had an extra eta 2824 and put that one in my UPO ( the black date wheel was a little tricky to mount but it worked out great in the end ! ) and looks very good now

BUT

The omega symbol on the dial was not aligned correct and told Andrew and then he send me a complete set af a new dial ( with a good omega symbol on it ) AND a new bezelinsert WITH the little pearl and that IS good service I must say !

But the dial for the eta 2842 had NO pins for the dial, it was GLUED to the movement and if there are NO holes in that movement I could NOT have mount the new dial correct!!

I'm w/ BT. They ought to do a 42mm UPO....but they won't. What happened was they got the 42mm to a half-decent 4th gen, then put out the 45mm UPO which that's what everybody bought because of it's accuracy and because of course big men need big 45mm watches or whatever the thinking is. The down side is that there's no financial incentive for them to doa 42mm UPO.