When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2824-2 or 2892 for Franken just

Guest watchbuff

Guest watchbuff

I have been using the bulletproof 2824-2 in my frankenjust's and have seen a few 2892's in other people projects. I have had success with on 2836-2 ETA ina DJ case but fitting the dial wasa feat in itself with little surface to bond to. All these of course in a genuine 162XX case

Any commentary on switching to the 2892 vs the other 2 movements?

Guest watchbuff

I think a 2892 A2 is the way to go in this case, a 2824-2 is the cost-effective solution. I have had issue with alignment in the 16200 case with a 2824-2. I built UB7's DJ and it came out near perfect. aligned to 0.15mm off center if I recall.

His stem hacks and sets fine, a needele file was needed to hone the casetube some but it works perfectly.

I think having the issue of a new hour wheel and tinkering with that is a headache waiting to sprout. I am finally going to build a DJ just for me and thinking either movement. I think the winner hee is the 2824-2.

My last resort, since bonus time is coming is a gen DJ with a 3035 movement I can get for under $1,000 from a 47st dealer whom i did some "work" for some time ago.

Thanks for the input.

I have been using the bulletproof 2824-2 in my frankenjust's and have seen a few 2892's in other people projects. I have had success with on 2836-2 ETA ina DJ case but fitting the dial wasa feat in itself with little surface to bond to. All these of course in a genuine 162XX case

Any commentary on switching to the 2892 vs the other 2 movements?

For what it's worth, there is a seller on ebay, "bab409", who always seems to have 2892's on auction. From reading his auctions I take it that he is a watchmaker who is selling overhauled movements. The Omegas usually sell for a lot, but he often has a gucci or longines for sale. I've been following his auctions for a while and the lesser known brands usually go for a decent price. You might pick up a 2892 for a good price from him.

Guest watchbuff

It's a toss up. I have a few irons in the fire for a 2824-2 for a good price, or the 2892-A2 if I can get it for under my target price. I just hope the pay off is it all goes together well.