When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

N00b question for experienced collectors

supermoves

I am currently a member of RWC, and was referred to this site as well. I am trying to decide between an Anniversary Noobsub with the Asian 21jewel movement and the MBW sub with the ETA 25jewel movement.

This is my first replica, but at the same time, that doesnt mean I want bad quality. I was curious what your thoughts were on the movements themselves and (if you know) on the differnces between the MBW sub and the N00bsub.

Thanks for your help for a first time poster!

~Craig (supermoves)

Hi Craig.....welcome to RWG......just to let members know that I had a Skype call with supermoves earlier....he had a lot of questions to ask...and I advised him to the best of my ability.....but as he is still relatively new to replicas...and wanted opinions....I suggested that it might be better if he asked any questions on the forum.....receiving hopefully unvarnished and unbiased opinions........the level of knowledge of the membership here is above and beyond anywhere else....and that his questions would be answered.....so please do what you guys do best....!

DISCLAIMER

I am not expecting anyone here to shill for me ....I am quite capable of self-publicising....just give him your opinions as you guys see it from your own POV and experience...good or bad....!

Well the Noob (from TTK) is a very good watch the case dial and bracelet are recond by many to be one of the best, The movement is a good bit of kit just cheep, the sweep may not be a smooth as the ETA in the MBW or any watch with an ETA, If the noob movement does break it is cheep to replace and a good stating point to learn a bit of reparing your self, Many asian movements run for many many years with out missing a beat. The MBW vintage subs are some of the best becase they accept Gen parts and are very good for modding to be near perfect eventualy. The Modern MBW sups in many cases are no better in some respects than any other ETA sub.

Bang for Buck go for the noob in my oppinion, but have a search about you will find loads of info here.

I am currently a member of RWC, and was referred to this site as well. I am trying to decide between an Anniversary Noobsub with the Asian 21jewel movement and the MBW sub with the ETA 25jewel movement.

As a first watch...odds are good you aren't going to be diving right in to doing mods on the watch.

The MBW sub is the watch designed for mods...not the greatest out of the box, but the greatest in terms of future potential IF you are willing to sink the time, effort and expense. The MBW is great for mods, as the caseset will take genuine parts (tube, crowns, bezel, crystal), so you can end up getting what's called a "Frankensub" which may end up costing in the $1000's, and comprised of almost ALL original parts (movements, dials, arms...etc...everything BUT the case in some examples).

The Noobsubs are considered the best out of the box...most accurate dial, rehaut (when you figure out what the rehaut is...you will not be able to look at a sub again without critiquing the wokkiness of it), crown guards, etc. These watches can't take genuine parts without some effort...but at $100 including shipping...they are considered by many, to be close enough for a good beater.

Most are usable swimming too!!

The trade-off on the Noobsubs (aka Begin, Nymph, etc) is that you need the right one. TTK only has the proper one (the original Noob), while Josh/Andrew can get the proper one...but as they drop-ship, you need to specify before you order, that you want the proper caseset with the F520117 serial number..or you will likely get a crappy one.

As far as the movements go, the ETAs are considered more reliable...but people have had good success with the 21J asian. You CAN get a Noob sub with an ETA movement...ask the collector for this as an option...and they may be able to do it.

You CANNOT do a swap of the movements without some work as the dial mounts will have to be modified, and you will need new arms.

If an Asian 21J movement breaks down...a watchsmith can replace it with a new Miyota movement (very reliable but without hack signal) for not a lot of money...the movement itself is somewhere around $20.

Good luck.

This is my first replica, but at the same time, that doesnt mean I want bad quality. I was curious what your thoughts were on the movements themselves and (if you know) on the differnces between the MBW sub and the N00bsub.

(I see the text formatting functions have returned to the edit screen today)

Welcome Craig.

If you want a good (looks like the real thing for a reasonable cost) out-of-the-box Sub, get the Noob. If you have some watchmakers tools, time, experience (or are willing to pay someone else who has these things) & plan to modify the watch beyond its original state, then I would get the MBW. The Noob looks more like the real thing, but does not easily accept genuine Rolex parts, so what you see (when it arrives) is mostly what you will remain with. The MBW has a technically more reliable movement (the ETA) and will accept many genuine Rolex parts (crystal, crown, crown tube), so you can improve many of its shortcomings and, having done all of this, you can end up with an even more accurate watch than the Noob. But, depending on who does the work & how much work you have done, you could end up spending double or triple the original cost of the watch.

The choice is yours.

Thanks to all of you for your honest opinions....so if I wanted to the best quality AND the best accuracy, it seems that the N00bmariner with an ETA movement would be the best of both worlds, yes?

If so, are you able to do this TTK?

Also, you are correct, I will not/dont want to do any mods to the watch. I want a watch that no one can tell is fake without opening it up, but still have a good, high-quality movement so that I can feel good about the watch as a timepiece as well.

Edited by supermoves

No...I don't do Mods.....there are plenty of people on here who can help in that area.....all I can state is my experience.....and MY experience has taught me that NO member here has ever been called out on a standard Noobmariner.....the general public simply do not POSESS the knowledge / experience to judge ANY of the Submariners from ANY of the dealers.....the only people I know who can do that are true WIS ( Watch Idiot Savants )....genuine Sub owners....and many of them if not the vast majority cannot tell the difference either......the members of these boards CAN tell...because they have gleaned information from other members and have been bombarded with photographs 50xlife size...where it is easy to discern differences....but Joe Blow fromIdaho....won't know...!

As for the Asian 21j mov't......The Zigmeister gave it his seal of approval....and in my experience gleaned over 3 years of selling these....now at 400+......I've had 14 returns......that tells me all I need to know....!

My advice as I stated to you in your call...was quite simple.... if you are not into modding......buy a Noobmariner...your 1st replica...determine whether or not it meets your expectations.....if it does...then you've spent $100...and should be as happy as a guy on a date with AJ.......if not...sell it on here... you will lose VERY little money.....if at all....demand for Conus supplied Noobs is always brisk......and THEN buy an MBK......easy peasy....!

You guys have been so helpful that I have changed my mind about 10 times already..haha I really thank you guys for all your help so far.

And TTK, thank you for your honestly...it is much appreciated!

Supermoves, as a fellow new guy to the replica watch world, I can sympathize with your concerns. Before joining here, I did some online research and settled on a Sub with an ETA movement from trustytime (I think it's what they refer to as the noobmariner). The only change I made was replacing the bezel insert with a more accurate one with a new pearl ($25 and 5 minutes worth of work). My replica keeps better time than my friend's gen sea dweller. And my other friend's father, who owns 7 gen subs, couldn't tell the differences between mine and the gen on his wrist. Needless to say, both are kind of upset with me :whistling::thumbsupsmileyanim: .

-Fred