When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WHat happens when you find The One, The Holy Grail...?

V

Well I am extremely happy.. in my Strapaholic world THE best strap is in my hands.

You all know that my favourite of all the straps in my collection was the Metta made by Aaron more than 1,5 year ago.

THis leather for me is THE ultimate hide.. As vintage as it gets (220 years old) beautiful and my favourite colour and texture and the smell... mm the smell. You must have one to understand what I am talking about.

Thanks to a friend I had the opportunity to CUSTOM made 2 straps from this hide. Yes I had the raw hide in my house and the Honour, and Pleasure to make the two straps. One for me and one for him. And the house was smelling of the bottom of the ocean as my wife said :)

The result? I will let you judge about that..

I just loved the idea of working with my favourite hide to create a unique personal strap.

I will not post photos of his strap (which btw is very different than mine) because I want him to have the pleasure, but I am sure you will get tired in the next weeks of seeing mine.

150/80 - 24/24 - Dark brown stitching - One thick fixed keeper - Sewn-in polished Logo buckle

The problem now is how can I keep collecting straps if this is the ULTIMATE strap I could ever possible think of wearing? :o

Please don't ask me if I can make you one... Unfortunately I can't. This was once in a lifetime and it happened because of the other member. Nothing to do with me.

DSC09158.jpg

DSC09159.jpg

DSC09155.jpg

DSC09165.jpg

DSC09173.jpg

DSC09172.jpg

Don't worry, there is ALWAYS a strap you will want, that you won't have. What if someone discovers another wreckage, and they make leather out of that?

Enjoy the two you have now!

Possibly later you can start collecting vintage PAVs, though I know you have that lovely 91 already. There's one famous Risti member who has a whole little collection of PAVs, and since they cost about $800 each, that's well over $5,000 for a few straps. :o

Don't worry, there is ALWAYS a strap you will want, that you won't have. What if someone discovers another wreckage, and they make leather out of that?

Possibly later you can start collecting vintage PAVs, though I know you have that lovely 91 already. There's one famous Risti member who has a whole little collection of PAVs, and since they cost about $800 each, that's well over $5,000 for a few straps. :o

I have thought about PAVs.. but to be honest although I am not very fond of Elliot his MP PAV straps are as good as the original ones... and since i can provide the logo buckles myself I cannot see much difference between the old and new ones (both made in the same place with the same hide)

I have the 91 and the 99 which I love but THIS one is something else.

Actually there was a mint PAV for sale few weeks ago for $2.2K...rediculous you say? I agree...not sure if it had been sold, though :)

Prices of those older PAM 44mm-historics and associated artifacts are now testing that old "sky's the limit" phrase, with a 201/A currently being offered for an amazing $36K+

Well, gen 'ristis have to keep up with the recent rep price hikes...no ? :D

cheers,

babola

Interesting how well good leather ages. That is one hell of a nice strap V. Just one hole I see. I suppose when all is said and done, a guy only really needs one good hole. :blush:

Interesting how well good leather ages. That is one hell of a nice strap V. Just one hole I see. I suppose when all is said and done, a guy only really needs one good hole. :blush:

I agree.. with the leather came a 2 A4 explanation from Rob how they were producing the leather and tannign at the end of 17th century..

Extraordinary process..

The leather is from Russian Reindeers amazing for its ability to withstand abuse.

The characteristic amazing smell is a mixture of birch and tar oil (where the leather was stayed for couple of months) and of course the ocean :)