When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 127

TeeJay

Title and description says it all really :) I'm sure there are flaws, I know it has a 'ding' on the inside of the CG 'hollow', but boo-hoo, I can live with that :lol: that gives it character :) Lume, Canon pinion, AR, I konw these things need doing, but for now, it'll certainly make a nice 'swap into' watch :)

DSCN3046.jpg

DSCN3048.jpg

DSCN3047.jpg

DSCN3049.jpg

DSCN3050.jpg

DSCN3043.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

This post almost got lost in the mix, TeeJay.

Stunning, stunning, stunning. It looks SO MUCH nicer than the first, absolutely. The bridges, the printing on the dial, everything. And whatever magic in photography you did, it looks nicer on your wrist!

I know Emily has very kindly offered you to get you that Orly Bloom hommage strap, but screw it, I'll include an extra Fiddy strap just the same.

You always need a little variety. :)

This post almost got lost in the mix, TeeJay.

Stunning, stunning, stunning. It looks SO MUCH nicer than the first, absolutely. The bridges, the printing on the dial, everything. And whatever magic in photography you did, it looks nicer on your wrist!

I know Emily has very kindly offered you to get you that Orly Bloom hommage strap, but screw it, I'll include an extra Fiddy strap just the same.

You always need a little variety. :)

:wub: Thankyou :wub:

I'm glad you approve, I know the 127 is one of your favorite models :)

Nice watch TeeJay :D I'm thinking of picking this one up as well, or the Radiomir Blackseal. By the way, can you tell me in what way this one is better than the first? I'm still quite a newbie at Pams and so can't spot these things immediately :lol:

Thanks.

4c7c4bee.jpg

The most noticeable improvement is the crown guard. This one actually closes properly :lol: It also has the REG. T.M. indented into the metal rather than just etched on the surface. The colors of the dial, in all fairness, the first pictures were quick shots, as I knew I wasn't keeping the watch, so some of the variation is just down to differences in ambient light. Also, this has the (correct?) movement bridges which I prefer to the other bridges. I admit, the foils could be better fit to the bridges, but, it still looks nice :) I will admit though, that the strap on the first watch was much nicer, and cashmere-soft. In an attempt to soften this one up, I was twisting the strap at the places I needed it to fold, and I actually 'burst' the top layer away from the bulking of the strap at the side :lol: Oh well, it was never intended to be a permanant strap, so no real harm done :lol:

[Edit to add]

I'm not sure which crown is the more accurate, but the shape at the end of the CG lever is much nicer. The buckle is also nicer, as it is brushed rather than polished, and has 'PANERAI' to the right of the buckle indent rather than centered, and I understand the off-set logo is the correct version :)

Edited by TeeJay

Ah yea I can see some of the differences now, thanks for that TeeJay :) By the way, did you get the new one from the same dealer?

I did indeed. That said, he slipped me the slightly more expensive version for the price of the original ;)

Without knowing who the dealer is, how does this one compare with the original Eddie Lee "Best Fiddy" with sapphire of a couple of years ago? Your post is timely as I just picked up an SC Legend strap and it has renewed my interest in the Fiddy. I am wearing it for the first time in a year or more as I write this post.

I did indeed. That said, he slipped me the slightly more expensive version for the price of the original ;)

You sly dog you! I knew it couldn't have been the same quality, since it just sparkles compared to the other one. I think the camera might have something to do with that though. ;)

As for what Kru asked, the very first ill-fated Fiddy I bought, arrived with an exploded sapphire crystal. It was an Eddie Lee "Super Fiddy". Gorgeous to look at but I counsel TeeJay here, to have a Davidsen crystal to hand, just in case. He sells them separately!

Without knowing who the dealer is, how does this one compare with the original Eddie Lee "Best Fiddy" with sapphire of a couple of years ago? Your post is timely as I just picked up an SC Legend strap and it has renewed my interest in the Fiddy. I am wearing it for the first time in a year or more as I write this post.

Personally, I have absolutely no idea :lol: I'd be glad for others to comment though :) The 'droplet test' suggests a sapphire crystal, (it was advertized thus) and, when it catches the light properly, there is a very faint 'double' reflection in indigo which could suggest AR. I don't think it's the 'light AR', as that would be a constant color, but this is only when the reflection is right (and it is also distorted slightly by the different shape crystal to a 111 series...) and nowhere near as noticeable as the AR on my 111g (but, again, the shape of the crystal/light distortion might be a factor...) If anyone else can make the comparison, by all means feel free, and, if anyone has any other questions about mine, again, feel free to ask :)

You sly dog you! I knew it couldn't have been the same quality, since it just sparkles compared to the other one. I think the camera might have something to do with that though. ;)

I believe my dealer also sells a more expensive version, (appears to be out of stock at the moment, could've also been my imagination :lol: ) which has the swan neck regulator on the movement, but, movement asside, the physical case appears the same as the Davidsen 127 you once reported issues with, which was eventually replaced...

As for what Kru asked, the very first ill-fated Fiddy I bought, arrived with an exploded sapphire crystal. It was an Eddie Lee "Super Fiddy". Gorgeous to look at but I counsel TeeJay here, to have a Davidsen crystal to hand, just in case. He sells them separately!

I'll bear it in mind that they're prone to exploding, but, as it's not intended to be a 'regular wearer', it wouldn't be an emergency if it was to blow :)

I did buy from Eddie. And at that particular time his mineral crystals had AR coat and his sapphire version did not have AR. I ended up getting the single sided coating from Chief. I had not heard of the newer version other than the subsequent Davidsen ones. Is this one Davidsen?

No, I bought it from Tony. Comparing it to photos Victoria posted a while back, might this watch I have, be the same 'base unit' that Davidsen aquires to then modify? The structure of the case/crown guard etc certainly appear to be the same...