When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Went to Tourneau's Watch Shop:Have Question?

fliieiieilie

I went to Tourneau's in Chicago to browse and got into an interesting conversation with one of the clerk's. Maybe someone knows him, tall, balding...

After talking watches, I asked him where I could get a good turkey sandwich nearby in the loop and the discussion turned to; How come you never see swan on the menu anywhere? Just about every large bird is eaten from quail to ostriche, but you never see swan offered.

I would think that around Thanksgiving you would see this. A large family or for any big Thanksgiving dinner why buy a huge turkey say 40-50lb when you could feed everyone with a medium size swan.

This is really an unknown food even where people like in Russia eat reindeer and black people eat chitlings, intestine with the excrement still in it. But I don't think they eat swan.

Anyway since some of you have probably been to Tourneau's, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

That sounds like quite the conversation, if it ranges from watches to swans... and god knows what else. There must not have been too many customers in the store.

In any case, the answer to your question probably has something to do with flavor. Not all birds taste the same, and, I imagine, even taste particularly good. I just saw an article about pigeon, which were a delicacy 100 years ago, but are rarely eaten today. The author (perhaps as obsessive as some watch collectors we know) actually collected and hatched pigeon eggs, then raised the young hatchlings in order to eventually create a gourmet meal described in a very old cook book. His verdict: There was no comparison between his young home raised pigeons and regular "street" or city pigeons.

Seems to me this should be in Off Topic, or the Loony Bin, even.

I would not eat one again, only because I have and I concluded in a BIG way that it's no good. To put it mildy (if that's at all possible since it's ultra-gamey) it's 100% disgustingly revolting :crazy:

So there you have it... I'll stick to sheep testicles :yuk:

OOPS... that's one way to raise your post count

PLEASE DELETE

I would not eat one again, only because I have and I concluded in a BIG way that it's no good. To put it mildy (if that's at all possible since it's ultra-gamey) it's 100% disgustingly revolting :crazy:

So there you have it... I'll stick to sheep testicles :yuk:

How come you never see swan on the menu anywhere? Just about every large bird is eaten from quail to ostriche, but you never see swan offered.

Anyway since some of you have probably been to Tourneau's, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

I have seen swan offered on menu's in a few Asian restaurants, but it always turns out to be duck. I'm not sure why, either. It may be a Groucho Marx/Sacred Cow thing? I know you can't kill 'em in the U.K.

As an alternative, you might consider flamingo. Mmmm..... now I'm hungry.

Another thing you don't see on the menu too often is peacock. Some blame the [censored] peta people for this. Myself, I'm not eating anything with "[censored]" in it.