When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what fits gen vintage daytona dials?

llsteve80

Obviously the V72 and variants, and I guess the V23 fit, but is that all? What about the older 7730's or what is a V71? Does that exist, and if it does, will that fit? Ideally, I would like a V72, but a thousand bucks? I know I'm not going to get anything for like 20 bucks, but what other 2 dial or 3 dial movements will fit?

I see some 23's on there, and a 71, and tons of other working valjoux jobs. I'm trying to explore all of my options here, right now I have decided to get the DW 7760, and also buy a case set and start on building a more accurate 6263 as time and money permit. I have to buy the 7760 version too since I can't wait to see that on my wrist.

Genuine Daytona 62xx models were powered by a (Rolex) modified Valjoux 72 (V72) base movement. Therefore, a dial made for the V72 should also fit any (similarly-sized) V72 variant like the V23 (which is a V72 without the hour totalizer) as well as the other V72x variants. I do not believe the dial will properly fit a V71, which is a larger version of the V72. Similarly, I do not believe the dial will fit any of the 77xx series of movements because the subdial locations are slightly different.

Although I still contend that this particular 7750-powered Daytona rep is likely to fool all but the most critical WIS or Daytona authority (owing mainly to its asymmetrical pusher arrangement & DW-style case (not to mention the gen crown/tube & folded link bracelet I fitted separately)), the location of the subdials does differ & I think this would make the 77xx movements unsuitable for use with a V72 dial

72_vs_77501.jpg

yes, it's all about the subdial alignment. Is there a measurement or something to go on? I think if I do go for it, I'll just go with a V72 but for now I'll stick with the 7760. How do you think the newman dial will look on that watch? I have a newman V72 dial from him and 2 of the silver hour markers are a little off kilter, and the luminious dots, well I suppose thats what those are, are uneven. Actually, thats probably glue that seeped out. Hmm.

Freddy, how is the crystal on your 7750? Plastic domed? I've seen the pics but don't recall seeing a side view or angle view. I'm assuming yours is from the same source. As for the 77xx movement, is that the one with the added train bridge for the seconds chrono?

yes, it's all about the subdial alignment. Is there a measurement or something to go on? I think if I do go for it, I'll just go with a V72 but for now I'll stick with the 7760. How do you think the newman dial will look on that watch? I have a newman V72 dial from him and 2 of the silver hour markers are a little off kilter, and the luminious dots, well I suppose thats what those are, are uneven. Actually, thats probably glue that seeped out. Hmm.

Freddy, how is the crystal on your 7750? Plastic domed? I've seen the pics but don't recall seeing a side view or angle view. I'm assuming yours is from the same source. As for the 77xx movement, is that the one with the added train bridge for the seconds chrono?

How will the Newman dial look on a 7750? I have never seen one in person, but it should look something like this

6263-siro-2007.jpg

(I borrowed these pics from Honpo)

I have had to realign some of the little mirror index markers on each of the V72 dials I have

PaulNewmanblackdial2.jpg

Image1-61.jpg

(V72s at each end)

Fortunately, it just takes a good loupe, a tiny dab of cement (I used clear nail polish) & alot of patience. The 'glue' that looks like it seeped out from under the index markers is lume and you should research gens (try TZ or antiquorum) before you begin construction or modifications.

The crystals are very good (they look alot like the original domed T21s that most of these 62xx Daytonas left the factory with, but they are rather brittle & tend to crack easily), but I like to replace them with the newer, beveled gen T21s, which is what Rolex currently fits during servicing & I believe they look better than anything else (including the original domed T21s). In the picture above, the 2 Newmans are fitted with the beveled gen T21s while the 7750-powered 6263 in the center still has its original (domed) rep crystal.

Nice pics, thanks.

The lume doesn't glow at all, but that's good since the genuine would be long dead by now. I love the 3-D look of the newman dial, especially with the distortion caused by the domed edge of the crystal, it makes the outer track seem deeper. The crooked markers combined with the faux tritium caused a slight panic attack.

Yes, I do have a lot to learn before building this watch. I'm trying to cram right now so at least I buy the right stuff, and also to understand what I'm thinking of going into.

How did you get the little mirror markers off? I'm worried about peeling some of the red paint off too if some clear glue did get onto there. They probably just pop right off though.

Did you also add the balance bridge and rolex bridge to your V72s?

I bought a (5 line) chrono bridge, but have not installed it. You need to either swap the cap jewels from the existing bridge into the new one or install new ones. Considering I am the only person who will likely ever see the inside of my watches, I have not been in any rush to put that much effort into it (or risk having to deal with the additional problems of misaligned chrono gears). But it is on the todo list (near the bottom).

I removed most of the mirror index markers with tweezers (they were relatively loose) and a couple difficult ones with a razor blade, but they all came off very easily. But if I have learned anything in dealing with these kits, it is that no two procedures ever go exactly the same. So proceed with caution & get yourself a copy of the bible

rb1.jpg