When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 005

Victoria

Come on guys....... keep your standards up!!!!

That dial is trash!!!!!! I have a gen 005 it looks nothing like that at all.

Panerai font, Number font, lume color, spacing.....all terrible.

Davidsen may make a nice case but his dials are the most baffling thing to me in the rep world.

They look like chinatown stuff!!!

I touched up a picture to make it sharper. A little too dark, but it is better. . .

005.jpg

:lol:

Actually, any info, suggestions, or references you may have, Chad, will be greatly appreciated. I canceled the pending PM to DSN yesterday and was about to email him instead. Maybe it's a sign from on-high to look around a bit.

TIA!

Thanks for the replies, Red and ZD. :)

I have loved it ever since I saw it somewhere else -- even before the one worn by b12a6, with vanilla Bob strap, which I loved so much I got two straps.

Davidsen had one C3 model which looked like the Hulk.

DSCF4480.jpg

Guys like lume, you see.

DSCF4473.jpg

One of the RWI members posted a pic of a GEN 005, and clearly you see the markers shouldn't be this green.

dsc015019vpha9.jpg

Now that you mention it, ZainoDetail, either it's a lighting problem or you're bang on. Thanks!

My rep 005 which has a custom dial done by Mark (finepics) looks just like the genuine one in the pic above. That OP logo on the gen looks just like the one on mine. To me the Davidsen 005 OP logo looks more like the logo he used on his 5218-201A. The logo seems more like he tried to make it look the way they did it back in the preV days. Also, the word Panerai seems to be further away from the cannon pinion on Davidsen's 005 than the gen does, thats might be the reason why the logo's looking diffrent to me. "an optical illusion" Either way Davidsen's 005 is an amazing rep, its so close to a gen that only freaks like us would ever spend this much time comparing reps to reps and reps to gens......LOL Thank you all for helping my day go by faster and more intresting with your great posts and pics. Cheers, Wan

There is certainly nothing wrong with davidsen's cases but a standard 005 from josh is a pretty nice dial. Sure it may have some issues but nothing a relume could not fix.

I just do not understand davidsen.

If an iwc or hublot rep was released that had the wrong main font, wrong shape numbers and wrong tint lume this board would be all over that.

Do not even get me started on his new 111h. It is actually a G series dial that looks like he cut around the numbers to make it a sandwich dial. It is atrocious.

I have had the standard josh/andrew 005 next to my gen. It is really quite close. on the dial.

Get a dsn and a standard and swap the dial. haha....expensive though.

Whatever you do I strongly discourage buying into dsn hype. Is it a mystery I will never understand.

:lol:

Actually, any info, suggestions, or references you may have, Chad, will be greatly appreciated. I canceled the pending PM to DSN yesterday and was about to email him instead. Maybe it's a sign from on-high to look around a bit.

TIA!

Come on guys....... keep your standards up!!!!

That dial is trash!!!!!! I have a gen 005 it looks nothing like that at all.

Panerai font, Number font, lume color, spacing.....all terrible.

Davidsen may make a nice case but his dials are the most baffling thing to me in the rep world.

But my picture rocks. . . right? ;)

There is certainly nothing wrong with davidsen's cases but a standard 005 from josh is a pretty nice dial. Sure it may have some issues but nothing a relume could not fix.

I see. :unsure:

I just do not understand davidsen.

Well, there's a language barrier. :bleh:

If an iwc or hublot rep was released that had the wrong main font, wrong shape numbers and wrong tint lume this board would be all over that.

Do not even get me started on his new 111h. It is actually a G series dial that looks like he cut around the numbers to make it a sandwich dial. It is atrocious.

I don't know like you know, but something in my gut told me not to get it. It just doesn't sit right with me. I do have to say his u112 that I got is excellent, though.

I have had the standard josh/andrew 005 next to my gen. It is really quite close. on the dial.

Very good. I've never bought from Josh (my mum has) but I may turn to Andrew if things don't work out.

Get a dsn and a standard and swap the dial. haha....expensive though.

Decisions, decisions. Gen 005 in Summer '08, or rep 005 for Christmas, and gen 111 in Summer '08?

Either way, thanks for the input, Chad!

Whatever you do I strongly discourage buying into dsn hype. Is it a mystery I will never understand.

It's quite simple, and it's all about one's personality.

1- If you buy reps for their accuracy, perhaps don't go to Davidsen.

2- If you buy reps for their quality, Davidsen is your man.

I understand that accuracy is part of quality, but I mean in terms of heft and sleekness.

Oh, and another thing is that there are people who don't want to spend hundreds more and wait, and possibly get their watch ruined by a modder.

Of course, there are gold standards of modders on this and other boards, who you could entrust your watch with TOTAL EASE -- but I don't like modding. I don't buy rep watches because I necessarily want to pass them off as gens.

This desperation to mod, to better crappy fonts, get datewheels, AR, and apply lume, when it's not to tinker with a watch like guys love to do, something inherently male I think, is just not why I buy rep watches.

I have gens, I can get gens, but I love being able to possess 17, going on 18 Panerai watches, just because. I LOVE THAT.

Vicky, did I already point it out to you that there are no F-series 005?

Also, for what it counts, logo models are not in very high consideration of gen owners and 'risti. If you get a gen, you might find it not retaining its selling value in time as non-logo models...

(About DSN, I hope I'll be able to do something about his dials... ;) )

Vicky, did I already point it out to you that there are no F-series 005?

And I have d/led your .xls spreadsheet too! :o

Also, for what it counts, logo models are not in very high consideration by gen owners and 'risti. If you get a gen, you may expect it will not retain its selling value in time as non-logo models...

I had had SOME intimations of what you say. There are certain models they obviously rate over the others, in that snobby what's in-what's out way of gen forums.

IN: 292, 249, 127

OUT: 232 (getting there), 104, 217 (maybe; seems to suffer from the "Oh you couldn't get a Fiddy" syndrome)

The other historics are rated much higher than any 005, which rarely appears there in Wristchecks.

My dad would tell me that getting such a pricey watch is an investment (anything over $100 for him is an investment). But having no goolies, the 005 just sings to me. I can't explain it, Sssurfer. It can't JUST be that logo because if it were, I could get better DSN models.

Anyway, this was going to be a topic of conversation soon. ;)

Glad you caught it, and any tips would be appreciated. :tu: