When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mystery PAM196

snow75

I have the same.

I bought a 7753 196 from Trusty earlier this year. What arrived looks the same.

A 196 with slight subdial recessions. The 250 has subdial recessions.

After exchanging with Trusty we came to a satisfactory arrangement. I still have the watch.

My theory is that the factory making the 196 and 250 basically uses the same base dial.

Then just changes the printing overlay between the 196 (all the numbers) and the 250 (12 and hour bars, and less subdial markers). A bit lazy.....

I'm waiting for one of our fellow members to develop a project for 196/250 dials......

When they're available (or a gen dial) I'll make the change.

Meanwhile I had the 196 SuperLumed (couldn't stand the rep lume - zero), and I can live with the recessions.

Actually you can hardly see them normally. Something that on the 250 annoys, as on a gen PAM subdial recessions (including seconds) are very, very noticable. Not well done on reps.

Yours is the 3rd generation which is generation 2 with the 250/196 dial added. As always one step forward and one step back. The first gen had the best case (correct bezel height and spread on the case) but its dial faults were an extra tick mark or two around 12 and the lumed hour marker at 6 extending too high. Second generation came from a different factory. The dial on the second generation fixed the tick mark but the date window ended up being slightly out of place relative to the 4 and 5 markers. Finally the third generation has the same 2nd gen case and the dial you see above. I guess when it came time to make a new batch of dials they went with the 2 for 1 in making one batch of recessed subdials for 250 and 196 as mentioned above and of course did not bother brushing the bezel as it should be for the 250.

Here is first gen rep as point of reference:

IMGP1204.jpg

It's the current version of the Valjoux 7753 equipped PAM 196. I have the same watch.

As others have indicated, the real PAM 196 does not have recessed subdials and is one of the flaws of this watch, in addition to the inaccurate case. The original (first generation 7753) dial is

nearly impossible to source out.