When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which PAM gen?

sanro

My thirst for Panerai seems to be needing a gen to be quenched properly... :p I travel a lot, so the GMTs are very appealing to me. Hence I am considering the PAM 088 or the PAM 161 with the steel-titanium strap.

I have been lucky enough to get a 027A from River and I also have a beautiful 177h from DSN. Hence, the steel-titanium bracelet tempt me, as a change from the leather straps. And I really like the combination of the two metals. But I hate the idea of paying 1.5k just for a piece of metal in the form of a bracelet...

The more "pilot-ish" dial of the 088, I like a little bit more perhaps. But knowing there is a good rep of the 088 out there makes me dubious...

Or maybe I should buy a chrono...but there are also pretty good swiss7750 reps out there...and if you spend $$$ on a gen you want it to be a non-replicable gen, right? Right?? :huh:

Do i need to buy a gen at all?? No, no...I definitely need a gen. B)

I know it is all a matter of personal taste, but I would like to know the opinions of my fellow RWG members!

88 for me....lots of travel here as well and the gmt function is nice.

thats my vote....gen 88....

but personally, the only gmt i want now is the gen 233....no more cheap a s s Unitas/ETA based gen pannies for me.....our reps are just as good....don't think a real rep 8 day movement will be coming out anytime soon...

i'm drifting again.... :doh:

get the 88....you'll love it.

B)

88 and 161 are two different animals so try them on before you buy them. 161 with the mix of polished steel and titanium as well as bracelet is much blingier. I have a similar one and I wear it less than my traditional strap watches. I use it as my dress not-gold dress watch. Between the mixed materials and tapered bracelet it is less "reppable" per se. The 88 is a traditional strap based PAM. So the question is whether you want a uniquer but inflexible bracelet based watch or do you want to play around with straps. In my case I elected to mod an older 2893-based GMT to close to perfection and use that as my traditional strap based GMT.

The other thing you might want to think about when talking about your first gen is whether you want to go with an older tritium based model. You will save money and as the subs are converting to L swiss L I would guess they will ultimately hold their value better.

Last point, on the bracelet PAM's, if you go that route, shop carefully as you can find some real price differences. The standard prices range from $7500-$8,000 for brand new from AD to $6300-$6,750 in the secondary market. But you can occasionally find them for substantially less. Watch the risti sites and Ebay items from people that do not sell and send them messages. You can often find folks who are dying to buy the new model but need the liquidity. After all PAM fans are PAManiacs.

The other thing you might want to think about when talking about your first gen is whether you want to go with an older tritium based model. You will save money and as the subs are converting to L swiss L I would guess they will ultimately hold their value better.

I am not sure I understood this bit, Kruzer. Which are the older tritium based models? And why exactly do you think they will hold their value better?

On the handwinds, the tritium based older watches seem to be getting $1,000-2,000 premium versus later watches with L swiss L. This is based on empirical study not data analysis though. On the submersibles it is way too early to tell but I have noticed that a couple of models have switched over to L Swiss L and so on say the 24 and the 25 that means there will be a finite number (albeit large one) of t swiss t with L's being produced going forward. I do think it is more relevant to the handwinds as it is way too early to tell if this will happen to the subs. If they stopped making 24 and 25 subs in the next 2-3 years there would be more t swiss t than l swiss l watches.

You can't beat a nice gen PAM GMT... I got the gen PAM89 and it is awesome.... I have been eyeing the 161 too... go for it... I think it is nicer than the 88..

Great choice. I had decided a while ago that if/when the time came for me to purchase a gen PAM, it would undoubtedly be the PAM 89. I love the Ti, and the Anthracite GMT dial is just gorgeous.

You can't beat a nice gen PAM GMT... I got the gen PAM89 and it is awesome.... I have been eyeing the 161 too... go for it... I think it is nicer than the 88..

Another vote for the 89--limited, unreppable (as the rep demonstrates), and unbelievably gorgeous. I would up practically stealing an 86 ($4100 w/ about $400 worth of straps) but I'd sell it in a heartbeat if a good deal on an 89 popped up.