When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Heuer Carrera- can't remove pins on band

Bright Ling

I know this topic has been discussed in the past; I did a search (but can't find anything relevant). I bought a new Tag Carrera and need to resize the band. I've read that some of these pins can be very difficult to remove; I've found some that seem impossible.

I have a pin pusher; it pushed the pin out about 1/4"; enough to grab with pliers. Try as hard as I might, I can't pull the pin at all- I just mangle it. I've tried several pins both directions with the same results. It's like they're caught in a Chinese Finger Trap; the harder I pull the more it resists.

Anyone out there encountered this? I've ordered a pusher with a longer throw on the Bay, but it will be a week or two before I see it. Any ideas on how to get these pins out? Does anyone know what's holding them in?

I've resized a lot of bands with split pins, but I haven't run across solid ones.

And no, it's not time to consider a leather strap.

jesus guys.....sounds like a rough ride

there is two options:

Get the longer length pin remover or use the hammer and pin tool. Obviously secure the bracelet first before you decide to use the hammer (btw - not the hammer size for nails but the jewellry hammer)

good luck...

@ Jon Fort: remember to wear gloves next time ;)

:D:lol::rolleyes:B):lol::D;):D:rolleyes::lol::lol::D:D:DB):p

Thanks to the advice from Jon Fort I have successfully resized the bracelet on my TT Tag Heuer Carrera from Ruby!

I had to do things a little different, however- the push pin was too large to fit into the pin hole. Here's how I did it (after removing the band from the watch):

1. I found a paper clip to be exactly the right size to fit into the pin hole.

2. I used my pin pusher to get the pin out as far as it would go- about 1/4".

3. Pliers won't budge the pin, they just destroy it. No point in doing it that way.

4. I bent the paper clip and placed it in a Vice Grip sticking up so that 1/2" of it was sticking up.

5. I inserted the now empty side pin hole onto the paper clip; it slides in about half way.

6. Using a small block of wood and a small hammer I rapped briskly on the bracelet right next to the pin- it moves!

7. If not hit briskly enough the paper clip might bend, but replace it with another and try again- the pin will come out.

8. The little bushing will be in the center lug as descibed- don't loose it.

9. Repeat as necessary to get out all the little nasty pins.

Here's what I did to re- assemble:

1. Put the small bushing back into the center lug. Assemble the two halves, holding them together with two fingers.

2. Insert one of the empty pin holes onto the paper clip (that's still in the Vice Grip).

3. Using the wood block, rap on the bracelet so that the paper clip slides into the bracelet and aligns the holes.

4. Insert one of your pins into the empty hole (with the paper clip in the other end).

5. Tap gently on the pin until it goes in far enough to meet the paper clip.

6. Remove the bracelet from the paper clip. Tap on the pin until it's almost home.

7. Put the band back into the pin pusher and push it back to the correct location.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I'm thrilled with my new watch!

got tired of spending the money at the watchsmith just to adjust the pin.. got tired of needles ticking in my fingers

got tired of putting scatches in the braceket..

got the plier pin pusher on ebay "turtle creations" ... this think has the Tag crono.. pins comeing out like butter!!

You can even order extra pins.. @ 2.75.. the plier with pushers was about 24 usd. not a bad price .. 2 wathces pay for the cost

post-2172-1198444263_thumb.jpg