When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 183 Black Seal crown issues

DemonSlayer

I have decided to purchase my second PAM and I have decided to go for a 183 black seal because I want a dressy PAM in contrast to my rugged 111h.

However I have been reading posts that PAM crowns and in particular 183 crowns have a habit of breaking after continous winding.

What actually happens? Does the crown thread break after continous winding? How easy is it to fix this issue? Is it a DIY fix or is it best that this is left to someone with more expertise? Thanks for the help.

I think it's more of an issue with the threads stripping on the crown after you wind it. The more it gets wound, the more you screw in the crown, the more likely the threads will strip. I don't have one but I've also been told the main cause is that the metal is soft and if you just tighten it you run the risk of cross threading it and that's why it strips. If you turn the crown toward you until the first thread clicks into place, you can then screw it away from you and won't cross thread it. Hope this makes sense.

I bought my 183 second-hand, a couple of years ago.

I was aware of the "problem" but am happy to report that my 183 crown tube shows no sign of stripping.

In reality, it is probable that only a small proportion of 183s has this problem... but it doesn't take many reported failures to blacken a reputation.

Which is, of course, no consolation to those people who do have a stripped crown tube on their 183.

I treat all screw-down crowns with care... the technique is to depress the crown, then turn it, gently, the wrong way (anti-clockwise) until you feel the thread bite... then, and only then, screw it down (clockwise).

If you do this, you should not have a problem. If you do... Davidsen and The Zigmeister are your friends.

You should not let this dissuade you from owning a 183. It is a lovely watch.

However, if you are still concerned, Joshua does have some Radiomir reps that do not have a screw-down crown. His 42mm 147 is an example:

147.jpg

:D yes before I thought that auto watches could only be wound by shaking the wrist, but on my Cartier Roadster I can wind it by turning the crown clock-wise whilst it is locked, is it advisable to wind watches in this way or is it better to wind my natural wrist movement?

I always wind my (automatic) watches manually. According to The Zigmeister this should not be a problem. Only with 2824/2836 movements one should be careful and wind it gently.

I hate riding someones post like this... But because it sounds like you guys out there know much more then i do...

SO, is it better to buy a cheap asian 183, and order the crown and tube from DSN (other source)... or does DSN's 183 have this "problem" fixed already?

I just can't extrapolate this info from the posts i have read, so im asking here.

Thanks guys,

Andrew