When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA Movement

muffle

Hello Everyone,

Having purchased a Super Sea Dweller recently from Andrew there are a couple of issues I with it. Overall I love the watch, but when I leave the watch for more than 24 hours, it stops. Is this normal? I expected a bit longer. What kind of power reserve does this movement usually have?

Also, screwing the crown in is a bit hit and miss. I have difficulty lining up the threads. Again, is this to be expected? I have gens where this doesn't happen.

Many Thanks

Muffle.

Not a SD guy myself, but my friend's gen SD dies after 24-30 hours if he doesn't wear it. That part is probably normal.

As for the crown not screwing down properly, it seems to be a firly common issue. I sometimes cant get my Sub to engage correctly, so instead of winding the watch, I end up changing the date. It probably has more to do with factory QC than anything else.

-Fred

Not a SD guy myself, but my friend's gen SD dies after 24-30 hours if he doesn't wear it. That part is probably normal.

As for the crown not screwing down properly, it seems to be a firly common issue. I sometimes cant get my Sub to engage correctly, so instead of winding the watch, I end up changing the date. It probably has more to do with factory QC than anything else.

-Fred

Its either a QC issue or its inherent in Anrews Rolexes. I just got two from him and both have the same exact problems that you have and mine are the Sub & the Yatchy!

It all depends on how active you are when you are wearing it and how wound it gets, if you sit at a desk all day the watch will not get wound as much as say a mechanic who is moving his arms all day. Both the ETA 2824 and 2836 should have a power reserv of 40 hours when fully wound, I tend to get over 24 hours on all my autos, if only worn during the day but if i wear them continualy for a couple of days and nights then i get closer to 40hrs, as to the screw down crown turn it anti clock wise whilst pressing in untill you feel the first thread click in and then tighten this way you will never cross thread the crown

Ditto what FxrAndy stated.

I will add that when you initially receive a watch, pull the crown all the way out & gently clean the tube threads with a moist soft cloth. There is usually dirt/dust from the factory which is not good. Apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the threads/seal (tooth picks work for this). It would be best to remove the crown/stem which would make it easier to thoroughly clean all the parts.

I have the SSD and have zero issues with the crown operation after cleaning and lubricating. :smile: