When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fogging problem with my watch

894tom

My DSN watch was waterproofed. I asked he pressure test it to make sure I can swim in a pool and take showers with it. Due to DSN's strong reputation, I have no problem believing he did what he said he did. The watch is now about 1 month old and ,while I have taken a shower with the watch on everyday, I have not gone swimming yet. Three days ago, the watch started fogging up on the inside of the front dial only when I walk from the warm weather to the cold. It stays fogged as long as I am in the cold. I can clear the fogged dial up when I place my palm over the crystal and warm it up in about 10 seconds. I am not sure if this is just prior humidity inside the watch from when the watch was assembled or if it now has taken on water from showering.

Any suggestions on what I need to do with my fogging problem?

I have a tupperwear box full of silica gell packs to dry out any watches that fog, if i get any fogging i remove the case back and place the watch in the box for 24 hours to ensure that it is dry before resealing, a zip lock bag with silica gell works fine too.

The only watches I have that fog like that are NOT waterproof. Even strenuous mountain biking will cause moisture to get inside the cases. So I have to pop the back off, dry it overnight, then close it again. Then I try to remember not to wear those particular watches for anything fun. :inv:

Check to make sure the caseback is screwed on good and tight.

The only watches I have that fog like that are NOT waterproof. Even strenuous mountain biking will cause moisture to get inside the cases. So I have to pop the back off, dry it overnight, then close it again. Then I try to remember not to wear those particular watches for anything fun. :inv:

Check to make sure the caseback is screwed on good and tight.

Ok...open the case....let dry....what about silicone on the crown and case back?

Those seals should have been silicone greased as part of the water proofing process that DSN carried out????? if they are dry then that tells a story! but yes if they are dry then they need greasing.

Should I tell the members if it is found the seals were not greased? Hate to say something bad about someone if it was an honest mistake. I can't figure out what the purpose of the CG is. I would assume it would apply pressure to the crown gasket thus preventing leaks. The CG he built is nice and tight on my watch. I will check with the watch repair man and see if he found previous silicone.

I had to drop off my speedy because of the spinning crown issue I wrote about in another forum so I dropped off the DSN with the speedy to have the DSN dried and siliconed. The watch repair guy did not suggest a cleaning. What do you guys think..not nessasary the way it sounds from previous posts on this topic?

Update:

The watch repairman said dried the movement and said it was siliconed with a little bit of light silicone. He said he put on the heaviest silicone he had and that should solve the problem.

I am gonna stay away from showers with this watch....its ashame, but I think that a handwinder is gonna develop leaks each time you wind the movement because it spreads out the silicone a little bit each time. An automatic (worn all the time) probably would not suffer from this fogging problem after a good siliconing because it does not need to be manually wound every day and the silicone would not spread/thin out.