When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratches and double AR

Francisco

Hi everybody:

Happy Christmas.

Just a question. After seeing the success of double AR coating offered here I wonder if we loose the anti-scratch performance of our zaphire glasses to have a better AR.

Therefore, what is your experience? Do you have double AR, and that means that some scratches have developed in your glasses? Or is the double AR so resistant to avoid scratches?

Thanks.

Hi everybody:

Happy Christmas.

Just a question. After seeing the success of double AR coating offered here I wonder if we loose the anti-scratch performance of our zaphire glasses to have a better AR.

Therefore, what is your experience? Do you have double AR, and that means that some scratches have developed in your glasses? Or is the double AR so resistant to avoid scratches?

Thanks.

There are Military specifications for scratch resistance that my double AR coating exceeds. I listed them in another post yesterday, so you could look them up and read them for more details. But, the bottom line is that the coating is not as scratch resistant as uncoated sapphire and can be scratched in situations where uncoated sapphire would not be. In general though, if you use common sense, and are reasonably careful the coating should not scratch.

There were scratches within a couple days of use. After a couple of months in rotation, it's pretty bad. Just to clarify, this is the stock rep double-AR.

Many of the stock rep coatings are inexpensive spin coats such as those used on eyeglasses. These require care when cleaning - using only a microfiber cloth and special cleaner or soap and water. Proper AR is not so delicate. Spit and a T-shirt is not a problem. ;-)