When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Simple Chopard Question

cronsell

First of all, Merry Christmas!

Okay, I'm a newbie and I hope this hasn't been covered already, but as I've searched the forums for hours now and can't find an answer, I'll just go ahead and ask! I went to the AD the other day and saw the limited edition GTXL with the silver face and solid caseback, I was really impressed with how well my 7750 rep held up against it (I was working from memory as I had my tourbillon dress watch on...thanks Desuetude!) until I asked about the white faced version. The salesperson just blinked at me, then she said that it was only offered in black or silver dials. Does that mean that the 7750 reps with the white face all have the wrong dial color? I can't believe that an error that big would be made, especially since the 21j version has the proper dial color of silver. Could be so kind as to help a newbie out and let me know if my white dial GTXL is shouting rep? Thanks in advance, and I'd like to say that I really enjoy this forum, it's been a joy to lurk here for the past month or so!

The Salesperson is incorrect, as the GTXL 2007 is only offered with the "Slate" silver two level dial. There are, of course, 2007 pieces in Stainless Steel (ref: 168489.3001) and only 500 in 18k Rose Gold (ref: 161268.5001).

The MM 2005 was Stainless Steel with a white dial (168994.3001), the MM 2004 was Stainless with black dial (168954.3001), etc. etc.

Yes, the white dial screams REP. (But, I say this ONLY because you asked)

I'm looking for information on the 16/8997 model, or whatever the number is for the silver (or white, if it exists!) dial version. As for looking on the Chopard website, I've read enough posts about active misinformation to not fully trust that resource. Thank you both for your replies though, I learn more every day I'm on this site!

The Salesperson is incorrect, as the GTXL 2007 is only offered with the "Slate" silver two level dial. There are, of course, 2007 pieces in Stainless Steel (ref: 168489.3001) and only 500 in 18k Rose Gold (ref: 161268.5001).

The MM 2005 was Stainless Steel with a white dial (168994.3001), the MM 2004 was Stainless with black dial (168954.3001), etc. etc.

Yes, the white dial screams REP. (But, I say this ONLY because you asked)

No gen black dial version? Well, that makes the new ultimate rep of this watch a complete non-starter, w/ the bad dial color and wron rehuat... Damn, I was looking forward to this as my first purchase of '08.

Hmmm...maybe I'm not making this clear enough. I'm asking about the non-chrono Gran Turismo XL that came out many months ago with the correct spelling on the crown and the 7750 movement. It came out in black dial and white dial versions. My question is simply: Did the gen watch ever come in a pure white dial, as opposed to the silver dial that I've seen at the AD (and was told was the only color other than black ever made)? I hope this clarifies things, and I'm sure that on this board someone knows the answer! Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

Cronsell my friend

NO It is not shouting REP.

The one I sold you is the Mille Miglia limited edition 2006. Original ref. nr: 16845-3001

Only giveaway is the serial number on the caseback. The number should be limited to 2006 so the serial number should be xxxx/2006

So the sales person is wron... but hey, what do you expect of just a sales person ;-)

If the dial should be white?? hereby the picture to the official stock photo on the chopard website:

1wb_mmiglia16_8458.jpg

Maybe it's my eyes, but as far I can see it's not silver.....

The new chrono XXl has a silvered dial.... and is STUNNING IRL, looking forward seeing Paul's ultimate rep 9coming soon)

That's just it though...the watch I saw in the AD was that very 2006 limited edition...it had a solid caseback with the map, which made me appreciate how nice the new caseback for the 2007 chrono really is, and it had a SILVER face. I was surprised to say the least, especially when I pointed to the cover of the Chopard catalogue and she told me it was silver, but looks white in some photos. So can anyone say for sure if the white face exists? Hannibal, for the record I still love the watch and it's getting a ton of wrist time, but I have this obsessive compulsive thing about finding out an answer once I'm looking for it :D

Thanks Hannibal, I've been looking on the Chopard site too, and I think we're right...there has never been a GTXL with a white face...strange that they made this replica this way since the cheaper 21j version has the silver face... I wonder if it could be transplanted? Hmmm.....my first frankenstein!

Point well taken! :doh: I don't want to get too crazy about this stuff, and I love wearing the watch, but I'm also hoping to help further the knowledge base of the forum. I don't have the kind of job where I can pull off having all the watches I wear as gens, so it's not about that, but the persuit of perfection in the rep world is an enjoyable voyage!

For a swap, you'd have to cut the 21j's dial feet off, but that's the least of your worries. Unless they really did a number on the 21j's date position w/ some sort of overlay, I doubt the dates will match up. You'll almost certainly have to make an overlay for the 7750 to get the date into the right position on the 21j dial, and even that may not be possible. Depending on which Chinese movement they used, there could be a 2mm difference between the position of the dates w/ respect to an A7750.

There are2 ways to find out--one is to spend money on an asian rep and just try it, selling the asian if it doesn't work. The other requires some photo editing skills. You would find a dead straight on pic of both versions, open each of them in a photo editing program. resize each picture so the watches are the same size, and then measure the distance between the center of the cannon pin and the center of the date window. If the measurements are the same, you're good to go.

BTW, to clear up any further confusion on the 2007 model: just checked Chopards site--there definitely is a black dial version.

Archilbald...yes, I believe the black faced 2007 chrono is the UNlimited edition, just as the black faced GTXL (non-chrono) is the unlimited edition. As far as the frankenstein idea, you have definitely helped me to decide on this issue. If I want the most accurate rep of this watch, I'll suck it up and buy the black faced one. I love the white face though, and may just leave it at that...we'll see as people discuss the new improved 2007 chrono I may just have to buy that one. I think the best reps are those with a solid caseback, and it looks like the one on the new 2007 is dead-on with what I saw at the AD. Here's to hoping the next Chopard rep is better than the already excellent rep of the (black face!) GTXL! :pray: