When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on Coffeemakers

Victoria

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

etienne-louis-espresso-coffee-machine.jpg

:o

Ryyannon should be all over this post, as will TeeJay.

I'm guessing it was named for Etienne Louis Bollee, the architect. Amongst his abortive projects in the late 1700s...a cenotaph to Sir Isaac Newton.

Newton_memorial_boullee.jpg

Freakily the same!

This is a little too avant-garde for me. One of my neighbours has the FrancisFrancis espresso machine, which Baryshnikov gave the Sarah Jessica Parker character in Sex in the City. :lol:

FrancisFrancis%20Espresso%20Machine.jpg

How's the aeropress working out for you?

Must admit, it has the same "problem" as my cafetieres (French presses); the regular coffee comes out too strong for my tastes. I want full-bodied, but not overwhelmingly so (yes, I have tried to vary the water input. Can't get it right).

Haven't tried to make espresso in the Aeropress yet, but that's because after ordering Intelligentsia's Black Cat beans, and using my Gaggia to make espresso, all else pales in comparison.

I love my crema too much! :)

The Zojirushi has yet to arrive, though. And my Capresso Infinity 565 grinder, which I got via advice on a forum Tech advised me to go to. Thanks, Tech!!

So, all in all, though I like it's unconventional design, and cheapness, I'd say the Aeropress isn't quite for my purposes. :blush:

Try making your grind a bit coarser, that will address what you are experiencing, IMO. What burr grinder are you using?

I had until recently, a Gaggia MDF. It died on me.

I'm expecting the Capresso Infinity 565 I mentioned up top, ANY day now, so I'll use that. In time, I hope to get a Mazzer Mini or Super Jolly!

415X1VG3XFL._AA280_.jpg

But right now, I'm using pre-ground Tim Horton's coffee from a tin. :o

merch-coffee-cans-en.jpg

(It's the yellow 'band' tin -- Coarse Grind, or for the French amongst you, Cafe Mouture Normale. I love how it's billingual! O Canada, I stand on guard for thee)

I'll take your suggestion, Subzero1, when the Capresso arrives. I was going to get a Breville, but that coffee forum found the choice anathema. They even looked down on the Capresso! They won't be impressed until I buy a $2000 grinder, which ain't gonna happen.

Yet. :lol:

@Ryyannon: :rofl: ...Go to coffeegeeks.com. Those people make US look like Stepford Wives.

BTW, McDonald's coffee -- delicious.

Hey..... what's wrong with MACAP? ;)

I use an M4 Stepless and couldn't be happier! IMO, it's the Mazzer Mini killer. B)

Oh God, MACAP this and MACAP that. That's all I hear in that forum.

Honestly, it's enough to make a girl go buy a Cimbali Max Hybrid. :D

I love a good cuppa and have a Rancilio Silvia and a rocky grinder but I mean how much can you talk about coffee!I feel a lot better about my watch neurosis now :disguise2:

Check this out:

"In pondering my distribution woes (separate thread, and too lazy to link it so ptth) I started considering the problem from scratch.

You've basically got a powder that is as close as equipment permits to homogeneous particle size, in a cylindrical container. You want that powder to evenly distribute.

Wouldn't centrifugal force be the ultimate distribution method? Wouldn't that exert an even pull on all grinds, tugging them gently inward (and downward, thanks to gravity) until they were dispersed evenly throughout the basket?

I'm not thinking of a megabucks, megaprecise high speed centrifuge. Actually that would probably mess things up by separating out beans with different densities from the blend. I'm thinking practical, home-use. Just something-- something like... aha! What about a salad spinner rigged up to gently hold the basket? Maybe use a light tamp to level the top so nothing goes flying out, and then let the physics do the rest of the work.

Anyone out there got a salad spinner, or something else that can do a similarly controlled rotation, and want to do some experimenting?"

Now TELL ME that's not like us dissecting the new Asian 7750 with running seconds at 3?

:lol:

@Watchdude below: :o Can I move in with you?? I come bearing watches and straps!

You know, I can just imagine the British reaction to this thread. It's rather like Ryyannon's. This recent 1990s BoBo fascination with espresso makers, grinders, and beans, is soooo American, it hurts.

It's a bit like Panerai watches...

Oh God, MACAP this and MACAP that. That's all I hear in that forum.

Give it a "shot", you'll see the light..... :p

I was torn between going Rocky, Mini, M4 and a few others. In hindsight, I believe I made a great decision - although all are good choices. Truth be told, I doubht I'll EVER upgrade my grinder..... no need. I thought I'd never upgrade my machine (Andreja), but I've got the fever.... the LM GS3 fever.

lg_lamarzoccogs3.jpg

@Watchdude below: :o Can I move in with you?? I come bearing watches and straps!

I'm still w/o the GS3, will be for some time. The Andreja pulls a DAMN fine shot, and with some knowledge and love - on par with just about any machine out there. It just takes some more time and effort, but I know her well and don't struggle too often.

It is espresso nirvana at Casa de WatchDude.....

Andreja-med.jpg

I love coffee. I got a wonderful Gaggia Evolution 16100 as one of my Christmas gifts. My espresso needs are met, yay.

But now, I need advice on a good American-style coffeemaker, so since RWG is slow, please help me out with this non-watch related question. :)

BTW, saw this on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...PZ&v=glance

Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central Coffeemaker, Black and Stainless Steel

It's programmable, with all the bells and whistles. EDIT: That's a must for me. Only problem is, we have limited counter space in a smallish kitchen. <_<

TIA!

I'm a coffee nut too - roast my own etc. I like the Capresso - their simplest model.