When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oops....Well, plan B it is then!

llsteve80

What I realized today is that it is way harder to build a watch for someone else than to build it for yourself. Me and my buddy have a project going, my gift to him was to build him a frankenjust with parts that he supplied, and some more parts that I could source.

He sent me a 16234 case and dial from the hungarian guy on ebay, and a white MOP diamond dial. I ordered the band, and movement from ebay, datewheel overlay from cubic-works, and then bought a clasp from one of our dealers, we decided on the newest style even though the current DJ has no holes. I also ordered some parts and hands from jules boro with help from stilty.

Anyway, the MOP dial came bent, and could not fit properly on the movement, the glue wouldn't even hold it on properly. I had already chopped the feet when I noticed, so return was out of the question. I decided that I had 2 choices, send it out to a refinisher, and get "swiss made" inscribed instead of merely "swiss," and get it flattened out while I was at it, or take the chance and try to make it usable myself.

I picked the second choice, and finally, after about 10 minutes of lightly bending over a piece of rolled cloth.......SNAP.....A hairline crack all the way across the dial. Looks like I'll be giving kirk rich a call anyway. The company is on vacation until the 2nd, so I'm guessing it will be a while before it gets done. Oh well, lesson learned, next time I'll try to bend the movement.

Anybody have a ballpark on their pricing? If it's too high, I'll just buy another dial and sell this one as is.

A little bit of a bummer, and a definite setback, but hey, what are you gonna do.........