When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help vintagizing my pearl

bruce79

I need help to add a bit of patina to the pearl on my 16800. The dial is gen and the tritium has developed a nice cream patina but the insert (also gen) is more the standard modern lume color and it bugs me. Any suggestions? Shoe Polish? Bake in the oven? I dunno, please help. Thanks

How about a little stain and maybe a clear sealer over it? If you look at 16800's, some of the bezel pearls have really turned almost brown. I'm not one of those that likes the really untouched original brown stuff- but you do see it from time to time.

Obviously, Rolex would replace the bezel during routine service, but some people like their watches all original.

Here's a 16800 original for $9K!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1982-Rolex-Sub...ksid=p1638.m122

It's item # 350009721238 if the link doesn't work. Also a nice original matte dial, 6 mil serial

Testors makes a flat tan for military models. Pick up a bottle of the tan and a bottle of the flat white along with some thinner. You can mix the tan and white to make a nice ivory color like your markers (you can also blend in Testors rust color for a really vintage look). I picked up a pint can of clear urethane at the local Walmart that I use to coat the pearl.

Yeah, I like amber shellac. I use it on my woodworking projects. Of course, at $10 a quart, it helps if you have it laying around. Plan B would be coffee or tea and your wife's nail polish- it's always around and free!

Awesome, a fellow wood worker! Unfortunately my woodworking tools are all in storage right now, but we can still have some off topic conversations. :)