When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM222

kenmasters

Hi PAM lovers,

Here's my newly acquired PAM222 w/SS bracelet. This is a rep of a special limited regatta edition with power reserve (correction: powered by an Asian 35J PR - Seagull ST-2530 / TY-2530). This PAM drew me in somehow. Huge & Hefty. The largest watch I own. Next to a SMP Chrono, my Omega looks tiny. Nicely built however. The usual flaws, CG needs tightning and Crown is thin. Power Reserve is a nice touch (not fully tested). Hobnail Dial is nice. Lume is not too bad. On the left hand side near the 8'oclock marker, there appears to be HEV. What looks like a HE valve is actually a date advancement button.

Okay, help me out here. I don't like the crystal and cyclops. What does a gen cyclops mag suppose to look like ?

Getting the SS bracelet was a mistake. I've always liked SS bracelets over leather or rubber and the PAM SS bracelet looked really nice, but its flimsy, and the deployment system is not very good. It doesn't work too well and its extremely difficult to release. Is this common with rep braclets? Even on my SOSF, the bracelet is not up to my standards. So far, I've only liked Omega SS bracelets.

Sorry for the lousy pics. My camera is terrible. I gotta get a new one. It won't focus on anything! :D

pict2004bt7.jpg

pam222mu6.jpg

Terrible deployment!

pict2006uy9.jpg

Lume

pict2009wn8.jpg

New photos will come once I get a better setup going. :)

Thanks!

KM

Edited by kenmasters

Also, there is only one position on crown to adjust the time. No position for date?! is this right for this model w/ a 21J movement?

It's not a 21J, it's a Seagull ST-2530 / TY-2530. 35J. The best Asian movement around, at par with the ETA 2892.

Have a look at the case side near 8Hr. Anything there? Try and push it. :lol:

Hahah ! hey you guys are right. The HE valve was actually a date pusher. Just a single push and the date advances. Nice.. :D

Now all i need is a gen crystal, a new crown, double AR and a new strap and this baby will be perfect. Funny, this watch was advertised with a 21J not a 35J. I guess that's a bonus.

Edited by kenmasters

The thing is that this date-set pusher isn't there on the genuine power reserve Panerai. I find that an unlucky choice of the makers.

As for a strap choice i'd go for a Mario Paci 4 (MP4)... i think this will suit this watch really good.

The crystal should have a single sided AR coating... maybe you should ask Chieftang or K2222 if they can do a single sided AR coating.

Now all i need is a gen crystal, a new crown, double AR and a new strap and this baby will be perfect.

A gen crystal is the less needed of the several mods. If you manage to get one, you will also have to modify the cyclops' placement as on the gen the cyclops is placed a little more to the center than on the rep. This is due to the date window, that in the rep movement is a little outwards than in the gen.

If you want double AR coat, remember to have it applied with the cyclops removed, before reinstalling the cyclops again.

Also be aware that, as yellomen alredy pointed out, the gen AR is single side.

Actually, the most needed mods are three:

1 - A new case without the date change pusher.

2 - A new crown, as you correctly already noted.

3 - If your watch is like all the other reps with the ST-2530 movement, a datewheel with the correct Panerai font. Hard to tell from your pics. If you post a pic with date detail, I may tell more.

Funny, this watch was advertised with a 21J not a 35J. I guess that's a bonus.

Yes, all the dealers use to advertise it as an Asian 21J. That is just because they either don't bother to know what is inside, or they are worried that by telling another movement they would possibly have the buyers moddled up. But stay assured that that movement actually compares to the "classical" Asian 21J (a Miyota 8215 copy) like a Ferrari to a Fiat.

Glad to see you are enjoying it. I would echo other sentiments that it is a pretty watch but the down side on this particular rep is the date adjustment on the side of the case. Panerai has never had a case with that or any button on that location so it unfortunately screams replica. Has anyone actually successfully transplanted the watch into a new case. I tried on a typical 21j brushed case but it was going to require remilling and/or a new spacer ring. If anyone has successfully done it please let us know which case you used.

Glad to see you are enjoying it. I would echo other sentiments that it is a pretty watch but the down side on this particular rep is the date adjustment on the side of the case. Panerai has never had a case with that or any button on that location so it unfortunately screams replica. Has anyone actually successfully transplanted the watch into a new case. I tried on a typical 21j brushed case but it was going to require remilling and/or a new spacer ring. If anyone has successfully done it please let us know which case you used.

Hi W., also Ajoesmith and I are trying that. I currently have my movement at the watchsmith, but I plan to try several cases as soon as I get it back. Mind you telling us anything more about the troubles you already found, so I may be aware of what is there waiting for me?

Nice buy :1a:

I'm surprized buy your thoughts on the bracelet though. I've always found the rep PAM bracelets to be very solid, and, although the replease is a little fiddly, that's good... That means the clasp is unlikely to spring open under normal wear :) Also, the parts themselves composing the bracelet and the clasp mechanism, are nicely machined metal chunks. Way more durable than the flimsy, stamped metal in a Rolex clasp ;) Of course, that's just my own feelings on them. A nice padded black leather strap would look awesome on that watch. There's one in particular (which I can never remember where it's from) which has a 'perforated' surface which would complement the texture of the dial perfectly :)