When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Be Prepared

hambone

I met with a financial planner and she told us that by the time my children are old enough to go to college, one in a private school like DePaul and the other in a public school like Northern Illinois I'll need 750,000 to send them. What middle to upper middle class family can afford that kind of hit. Which leads us to another dilemma, the middle class won't be able to educate which exacerbates the problem further separating the rich from the poor even more.

Sean K

What does it cost now? And will the children not be taught things in cheaper schools?

The bright side? ..maybe the dollar will be deflated by then, and you'll be making $2,000,000 a year? :)

Of course, denigration of a perceived group by the emphasis and exaggeration of a few peculiarities, or stereotypes, if you will, have always been used by those of no good conscience to attempt to control the attitudes and actions of the feeble minded.

Am I therefore part of the global conspiracy of no good conscience? Or maybe my motives are more mundane and I merely find run-to-the-hills a selfish answer.

Survival skills are not in themselves a bad thing, obviously. The problem I have is that they're mostly practised in the US by people calling themselves groups with the word militia in them, and at the expense of those around them. Is this a problem to me? No, because if they ever do flip the switch, there's an ocean between them and me, in both directions.

:D

ps. If you can't survive a simple ribbing on the internet, how are you going to survive the poklips? ;)

Oh and just to add a little something. The vodka is something that won't be given. I've stored plenty in the bunker.

@Pugs I don't think Hambone intended to imply everyone should run to the hills. I just think there are things in the US and other industrialized nations that we tend to take for granted. Quite a few in the US expect to do better than their parents. We have to change how it is we think. I live in a house at 36 that took my parents 20 year to move into. Not everyone is going to be able to buy their own home anymore. Apartments in the suburbs aren't going to be for the young and white trash. I myself have felt it. 85.00 to fill up the SUV its nuts. I bought a little Mazda 3 to run around in and the SUV sits in the garage for trips. I know thats sound arrogant like boo hoo you bought another car to let one sit, but two years ago that wouldn't have entered my mind.

Sean K

It's good that we become progressively energy and environment-conscious - and given Yankee ingenuity and market forces, I'm confident that we'll succeed in overcoming the challenges ahead of us.

I also believe that give or take a bump or two in the road, America's children will lead better lives than their parents - and in ways which are not only material.

In short, my own feeling - particularly from my vantage point here in Zeropa - is that the reports of the demise and death of the United States are largely exaggerated.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm amazed that right or wrong, I can come up with such a line of malarkey!

Vote for ryyannon in the next presidential elections! :lol:

@Pugs I don't think Hambone intended to imply everyone should run to the hills. I just think there are things in the US and other industrialized nations that we tend to take for granted.

Did you see the list before he removed it? ;)

I agree that there is a lot we take for granted, like fresh clean water for example, and I believe stuff that makes us realise that can be educational as long as it's not preachy. If I saw any of that usefulness in Hambone's list, I would have been a lot kinder.

Plus, he called me an idiot. All bets are off.