When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doing an MBA, starting in March 2008

ajoesmith

I will be starting an MBA in March 2008.

I have just finished my teacher training and it went ok. Hard work but its all over now and im a fully qualified High School science teacher

BUT....

The teacher training opened my eyes on education. Teachers are very under paid, dont work 9am-3pm, and being a teacher isnt just teaching. In the last year of training that I had, I was a Teacher, parent, counsellor, guidance person/officer, friend. And i have to be very careful with the word 'Friend' in education. Teachers are in a state of limbo, we cant help students because if we do then we are accused of getting too close to them, if we dont help them then we are neglecting them etc..... Disciplining kids these days is a whole different ball game. Its very difficult, they dont listen, swear at you and dont respect teachers at all.

Anyway im doing the MBA to expand my career choices but i have zero experience in that field

Has anyone done an MBA, have any advice

Cheers

I will be starting an MBA in March 2008.

The teacher training opened my eyes on education. Teachers are very under paid, dont work 9am-3pm,

Anyway im doing the MBA to expand my career choices but i have zero experience in that field

Has anyone done an MBA, have any advice

Cheers

Yup...teachers can be very underpaid if they actually do the all the work expected of them (but not required of them)...coaching, mentoring, helping those few special needs kids, preparing good lessons, etc. It can be alright if you just coast and not take the job seriously, but that's bad for you, and bad for the kids. The first few years of being a teacher are the hardest as every course you are teaching will be new. You need to build up your own "package" of lessons, labs, exercises, etc...run through them with multiple classes before it becomes very easy.

As to an MBA...you are talking night and day compared with teaching. If you are concerned with 9am - 3pm...you will be VERY disappointed. Depending on the job...travel 50% or higher is not uncommon, working very late, long hours is not uncommon. You could be going anything with an MBA from org consulting, financial consulting...

The MBA programs are mostly about opportunities to network as recruiters hit most of the big schools looking for fresh meat and great, lucrative early positions can be found. You will learn a lot about "how" to do things...apply formulas, respond to RFPs, etc...but very little on the theory.

Good luck!

there are the kind of teachers that get sweared at and then there are the kind of teachers that do not get sweared at at all, even though they never get loud or anything. I once had a teacher like that and he was phenomenal.

and when speaking about an MBA and salary etc. you should maybe mention WHERE you want to work. over here teachers get good money and cannot get fired (for example). my friend makes about 6-7k$/month as a teacher.

Actually the more im away from teaching the less i want to do it

I will be doing the MBA full time so will have plenty of time on my hands

After the MBA, i dont know, at the minute i dont want to teach, i thought i did last year but now...... not so sure its for me.

I would like to get into a global company, maybe with offices in Japan as the Mrs is Japanese and we may want to settle there someday. but who knows, early days yet

which country are you in ?

I'm currently doing my MBA but I have an engineering background - like most MBA candidates. Yes, teachers are underpaid, and I know of classmate who was a teacher for several years and is now doing her MBA. Whatever gets you up in the morning is my motto ! Like others have said, its networking and making most of your MBA while in school. If you don't know what you want, then its time do some research and reflection.