When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

scratching my head...

kosemkamtsan

I have a great appreciation of the Bauhaus movement.....having studied both it and it's predecessor Art Nouveau quite extensively.....for many years I was moved emotionally by the works of the more flamboyant Art Deco designers.....Marcel Breur....Donald Deskey....Chiparus....Fritz Preiss.....etc etc......but one thing that I learned was that Art Deco like other design movements will always enjoy renaissance periods......but Neo-classicism always remains as the arbiter of good taste.....from the works of the Adams brothers......to the perennial design classics by William Kent / George Smith.....Heppelwhite.....or the works of the great French ebenistes.....such as Jean Pierre Langlois.......these designs and pieces....will always remain timeless......found in the greatest of stately homes.....everywhere from the Winter Palace......The Esterhazy Schloss.....Palace of Versailles....all the way to Georgetown or Pacific Heights in the US.....expressed in the Colonial design movement..... whilst Art Deco and similar design movements will always remain transient in popular culture and tastes..... popping up every so often...renewed in interest by 'new' Bohemians in successive generations.....who 'discover'.....these popular movements....!

BTW....just to emphasis again......I do love Art Deco.....and the Bauhaus movement.......just don't ask me to get all misty eyed over Le Corbusier...or FLW......!

What kind of crowds do you hang around in

I never hang around in crowds.....they hang around me...B)

Edited by TTK

I know I'm in the minority here but I kind of like the new Silberstein watch (saw it on Andrew's site). Even though I prefer the beauty of Ulysse Nardin watches, I have to admit that I can appreciate the "fringe-of-sanity" watches made by Silberstein. For example, it's certianly a watch that will get noticed! Second, it's fairly unique in it's design ... I don't see many (read *any*) watches that look like it at work, at dinner, at parties, etc. You can pay 30 grand for a Patek and most people won't even notice it let alone have any idea how much you paid. At least with the Silberstein you can say "I paid $XXXX" for it when someone invariably asks you about it. I realize I'm being fairly shallow, but If I paid $10,000 for a watch I would want EVERYONE to notice it, not just the few WIS's there are out there. Plus, you don't have to worry much about someone showing up at the party wearing something that looks the same.

I doubt I would pay the $$$$ for a real Silberstein, but I would certianly wear it all the time if I got it as a gift. However, I'm still waiting for a really good Ulysse Nardin rep. Marine Chronograph, Chrono Annual Calender, Sonata, Freak or Perpetual calender.

Regards all,

Jeff

Very interesting point about how the applications of aesthetic ideals of one domain, and the problems created when you try to cross-over into a world governed by different aesthetic principles. I agree that it's more of an engineering and sculpture driven aesthetic than a colour-based, visual expression of art.