When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6497 H Movement

eddiesham

Hey Guys,

I just received my first DSN 113H watch and I'm very pleased with what was sent, the only gripe being the hour luminous dot indicators are very far from the original, but everything else seems of very high quality. Regarding the watch movement, DSN mentioned that it was coming with a 6497 H movement. Wondering if some experts here on the board can point me in the direction to where I can read about these movements? Also, is anyone aware of whether this is the 6497-1 or 6497-2, assuming based on price it's gotta be a -1? And lastly, are these from China or actual Swiss movements, hoping the movement will last for many years to come!!

Thanks!

Eddie

Yep, looks Swiss to me. Davidsen is a trusted dealer, if you ordered Swiss and got Asian it would have been a simple mistake that he would have been happy to correct. Rest easy, this is Swiss. Oh, and it's a 6497-1.

When DSN told you an "H" movement (OPX or OPXI), he was talking about the type of decoration the movement had. The Cotes de Geneve decoration with the single "Officine Panerai" engraved on one of the bridge plates started with the "H" series Panerai models.

Edited by peepshow

Yep, looks Swiss to me. Davidsen is a trusted dealer, if you ordered Swiss and got Asian it would have been a simple mistake that he would have been happy to correct. Rest easy, this is Swiss. Oh, and it's a 6497-1.

When DSN told you an "H" movement (OPX or OPXI), he was talking about the type of decoration the movement had. The Cotes de Geneve decoration with the single "Officine Panerai" engraved on one of the bridge plates started with the "H" series Panerai models.

Well that was the problem, I didn't get a response from DSN as to whether or not he was using Swiss or Asian, just a simple statement on his end that it was 6497H. However since you're feeling is Swiss, I'll run with that. Considering now that it is a 6497-1 Swiss movement, should I expect years of trouble free operation?

Best,

Eddie

Well that was the problem, I didn't get a response from DSN as to whether or not he was using Swiss or Asian, just a simple statement on his end that it was 6497H. However since you're feeling is Swiss, I'll run with that. Considering now that it is a 6497-1 Swiss movement, should I expect years of trouble free operation?

Best,

Eddie

I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't. These old pocket watch movements are pretty robust and should stand up to years of use/abuse with little problem. A servicing every 5-7 years and you should be all set.

As long as we're on the subject of 6497's, here is a shot of a PAM for which I just popped the back cover on. While this is not a 6497 or anything else swiss, can someone identify it?

post-10474-1200068339_thumb.jpg

That sure looks like a Seagull auto movement to me. Usually advertised as simply "Asian 21 jewel movement" by most of the dealers.

Hey Babola,

I've included two photos, one of the face and one of the movement, I'm still guessing this is a 6497-1 movement (and hoping Swiss since I believe that might be the longer lasting versus the Asian variety). Any comments are welcome.

Best,

Eddie

Eddie,

that's as Swiss ETA 6497-1 as they go these days (modified of course), and possbly the highest quality 6497-1 mov't you'll find in any H-series rep, currently.

The watch is nice as well, ver 3.0 of Davidsen's 113 dial, you'll recognize it by thinner cardinal and 5-min numbers, although very nice.

The case is a nice touch as well, it's standard rep case, not the DSN so lug threads stripping shouldn't be a problem :)

No reason for any concern, whatsoever. If you don't abuse it it should last you a lifetime ^_^

Wear it well, and enjoy it!

babola