When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oyster band problem

TommyJoe

Friends,

I'm perplexed and need some of your expert advice. I got my girlfriend a beautiful ladies Date-Just for Christmas that she loves, but it's acting crazy. Just the band, anyways. Last night I picked it up off of the dresser to admire it, and I noticed that, for some damn reason, the band felt a little loose. As soon as I flipped it over to check it out, the pin popped out of the end link and half of the band fell off. I put it back on no problem, but after the pin was set back in the holes, the end link wants to roll (away from the case) and flip up to where I can see the engravings on the open end of it. I started to inspect the oher one to see if anything looked diferent between the two and noticed that the other one does the same thing. I never noticed this before, but of course she wears the watch, not me. Everything looks to be where it should. I'm relatively mechalically adept, but just can't figure the damn thing out. I've got a men's Day-Date with the oyster band (but hiden-clasp style) and its end-links are pretty stable. I bought them both from Her Highness "The King", who has been wonderful to do business with, but with the language barrier, I figured it would be easier to run it past y'all than try to explain it to her. Anyone ever had this problem or know what's wrong? I don't have pics right now, but could try to take a few if it would help. Thanks.

TommyJoe

It sounds like the springs inside the springbars (the small metal tubes with pins on the end that connect the end links to the lugs) have lost their tension, which is a common problem with rep watches. Just take 1 of the springbars to any watch or jewelry store (that sells watches) & buy a couple more (they may even give them to you since they do not cost much).

It happened to me also with my DJ (man version). I replaced end links (I guess yours have hollow ends) by genuine ones as well the spring bars. Before installing, I also pressed gently (covering before both sides) the end links to reduce the gap and noise. Hope this could help.

You should set your camera to Macro or take the picture from further back (your point of focus is behind the watch). But it looks like the end links are either too small and do not extend the full distance from the end of the bracelet to the edge of the case, or, as Andy suggested, the lug holes are located in the wrong place leaving the end links too loose.

Whatever it is, I have never seen that before & I would probably send the watch back to the seller. The only other option would be to scout around for a pair of better fitting end links, which will probably require a number of trial and error fittings.