When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hats ... Anybody else into hats ?

Raijor

I got to wearing a hat about 4 years ago because the winters up here in Canada can get very cold ... -30 happens regularly where I live in January and February. It is -17 right now at noon and expected to drop to -27 tonight. In any event after I purchased my first quality fur felt hat I was hooked I now have 7 in total all from Akubra and Stetson and just recieved a brown Fedora from Jaxon today. Even though it is common for balding guys to wear hats I still have all my hair but wear a hat when ever I am outside year round. I got to wondering if anybody else into hats? Here three favorites of mine - Akubra Snowy River, Stetson Dune and Jaxon Iconoclast.

medium_AkubraSnowyRiver3.jpg

medium_StetsonDune3.jpg

JaxonFedora.jpg

I am not into hats myself, but I remember another member in here, a year ago I think, who actually has his own hat/cap shop on ebay! Don't remember his name or know if he is still around, but if he is I bet he will chime in! :)

Hats and nice watches... Maybe some masculine thing? :)

Those are very handsome hat's raijor...

it is the opposite in Hawaii,.. I would cook in the felt or leathers.. so this is what we choose..

Both are genuine Panama ...post-2172-1200523683_thumb.jpg

this is the Montecristi

post-2172-1200523332_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200523378_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200523424_thumb.jpg check the tiny weave.. they say in the summer months the workers have to weave in the night.. otherwise their sweat drips on the weave..

post-2172-1200523553_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200523648_thumb.jpg

i like to wear these to the Sunday brunches i am so fond of..

thanks for posting this thread raijor B)

Hey lanikai - your post triggered a fond memory...

Once, several years ago, I was traveling on business with some friends, and staying at the Ihilani. We stopped into one of the shops, where we were amazed by the quality of the Panama hats...and the price! (If I remember correctly, they were $1500 - $2000).

One of my traveling companions was from Ecuador, and said "you know, those Panama hats aren't really made in Panama, they're made in Ecuador...I can hook us up". So we gave him our head measurements, and on his next trip back the home country, he came back with custom fitted Panamas (I think we gave him like $50 each).

I still wear it sometimes in the summer, if I'm feeling "snazzy" ;)

Hey lanikai - your post triggered a fond memory...

Once, several years ago, I was traveling on business with some friends, and staying at the Ihilani. We stopped into one of the shops, where we were amazed by the quality of the Panama hats...and the price! (If I remember correctly, they were $1500 - $2000).

One of my traveling companions was from Ecuador, and said "you know, those Panama hats aren't really made in Panama, they're made in Ecuador...I can hook us up". So we gave him our head measurements, and on his next trip back the home country, he came back with custom fitted Panamas (I think we gave him like $50 each).

I still wear it sometimes in the summer, if I'm feeling "snazzy" ;)

Well anything at the Ihilani is 10 times what it's worth, very ritzy hotel... the developer is cool..my friend is his chief of security ,,..not for the hotel for other things.... bought some batteries at the Halekulani and they were over 10 bucks for 4 .. a hotdog is 15.00 :lol:

but the going rate for the "panama" (just the handle it goes by).. is around 300 to 400 usd.. i payed.. yup.. 50 usd same as you ... friends also hooked me up.. at the RTDA in Vegas... retail tobacco .. cigar and pipe convention .. so South America was well represented.. and i didn't want any non cubans and i have enough pipes .. but ever since i saw the Fuente's (brothers) on their plantation wearing the Montecristi i had to have one... :rolleyes:

yup I took a pick of the label.. Ecuador .. genuine panama hat..

on another note.. i think we need the bezel for the HBB with the serations on the side so the SS may be smooth where as the PVD'd ones have it.. but my collector is meeting with the maker at the end of the month and will see what he can source.. thanks avitt..

yes it has a way of making you feel very dapper .. :D

That is summer style - I am definitely going to find a few of those for summer. Up here it can get into the 90's and usually is in the high 80's during July and August and they would be perfect. I have been wearing the cheaper golf straw hats but they are not even close to the Panama type for quality or looks.

Those are very handsome hat's raijor...

it is the opposite in Hawaii,.. I would cook in the felt or leathers.. so this is what we choose..

Both are genuine Panama ...post-2172-1200523683_thumb.jpg

this is the Montecristi

post-2172-1200523332_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200523378_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200523424_thumb.jpg check the tiny weave.. they say in the summer months the workers have to weave in the night.. otherwise their sweat drips on the weave..

post-2172-1200523553_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200523648_thumb.jpg

i like to wear these to the Sunday brunches i am so fond of..

thanks for posting this thread raijor B)

Well anything at the Ihilani is 10 times what it's worth, very ritzy hotel... the developer is cool..my friend is his chief of security ,,..not for the hotel for other things.... bought some batteries at the Halekulani and they were over 10 bucks for 4 .. a hotdog is 15.00 :lol:

but the going rate for the "panama" (just the handle it goes by).. is around 300 to 400 usd.. i payed.. yup.. 50 usd same as you ... friends also hooked me up.. at the RTDA in Vegas... retail tobacco .. cigar and pipe convention .. so South America was well represented.. and i didn't want any non cubans and i have enough pipes .. but ever since i saw the Fuente's (brothers) on their plantation wearing the Montecristi i had to have one... :rolleyes:

yup I took a pick of the label.. Ecuador .. genuine panama hat..

on another note.. i think we need the bezel for the HBB with the serations on the side so the SS may be smooth where as the PVD'd ones have it.. but my collector is meeting with the maker at the end of the month and will see what he can source.. thanks avitt..

yes it has a way of making you feel very dapper .. :D

I found a few internet sellers who have Panamas starting at $200 (Panama style) up to $1300 (True Panama)