When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Reps Blew My Watch Repair Guy Away!

lefty47

I have found a cooperative Watch Repair Guy in my town who will work on my reps and I've been taking some of my collection to him. He doesn't know Panerai, as I have already stated in another posting, so he wasn't all that impressed with them-no point of reference. But today I took a Tag, Andrew's 4th Gen Po and three Rolexes to him, and he was Blown Away!

The Tag is a Tiger Woods Link with a Japanese Automatic Movement. He tested it on his Witschi Timing Machine and it tested at 21,000 BPH-pretty impressive for used a $90 Rep. Thank you Thor.

He couldn't believe the quality and weight of Andrew's PO and it tested at 28,000 BPH-the same as his genuine Sub. When I told him the price I paid, all he could say was, "How do they do it?"

Then he tested my three Rollies, which I bought before joining the RWG and paid way too much for:

Swiss Valjoux Daytona-22,000 BPH, top quality SS and perfect stop watch function.

ETA LV Sub-22,000 BPH, he's replacing the Bezel Insert with one I purchased from Otto Frei. He loved the look, the SS and weight and especially the lazered Rolex crown at the 6.

ETA Yacht Master, my "Bling Watch." TT with genuine MOP Dial with Diamond and Blue Sapphire Markers. Solid 14K Links and Bezel. Cost me $700 three years ago, from a private collector. It was running too fast to accurately measure on the Witschi, so he's going to keep in over night to check it out.

All in all a well spent hour, especially for the reaction to Andrew's latest PO.

He couldn't believe the quality and weight of Andrew's PO and it tested at 28,000 BPH-the same as his genuine Sub. When I told him the price I paid, all he could say was, "How do they do it?"
Edited by jens

And what did you tell him? That they didn't do it from palaces in Switzerland with overpaid executives with all private expences included their cigars and Mercedes' covered by the companies, costly campains and dealer networks on top of a 2000% margin on the product :yu:

My watchmaker's comment yesterday when he was looking at a TWG TT Datejust was, "That looks awfully good, they're getting pretty good at this." And that's on a $100 rep. And he's working on Rolexes day in and day out. He looked at my WM 1680 Sub (mods by RBJ) and thought it was real, until I pointed out the white date wheel and explained the shortcomings of the datewheels in the vintage Rolexes.

I took my GMT II in to a local watch guy today for the first time ever to see hisreaction and have a liittle work done.

He was blown away by the reps in my watch box. He is fairly young and Russian and does work on the odd Rolex/Omega etc. But did not have a problem at all in working on the rep once he took the back off and saw the ETA. He's installing a Swiss red/black insert to replace the back and cleaning and oiling the dry movement and said he will replace any gaskets necessary and tighten up the bezel and polish the inside of the crystal and make sure the cyclops is aligned. Pretty good price too!

But he was must impressed with the vintage Seiko 6309 and 6105 divers in my watch box ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Where do you live? I have a guy in Ohio. He works on everything except my 1950 Case is too big for his fixture for holding watch for crystal replacement, which is what I am looking for to have done

In Ohio! I am in Columbus. Please drop me a PM with the information if you will.

Thanks

Rick

Where do you live? I have a guy in Ohio. He works on everything except my 1950 Case is too big for his fixture for holding watch for crystal replacement, which is what I am looking for to have done

I sent my 1950 bezel and the sapphire crystal form Davidsen to Bignasty who is on this board. He will swap out the crystals and my local guy here in Lexington, KY will press the new cryatal and bezel on to my watch. A little complicated but it sould work out fine. Check out Bignasty. Good guy who will do thinks quickly and inexpensively. Good luck.