When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To: Read & use the markings on your bezel.

gioarmani

As Andy pointed out the Tachymeter function can also be used to track KPH if you use a Kilometre as the unit of measurement. Some watches (like the Chromomat Evolution) have both on the scale so you can convert between the two, so at the 12 o'clock position it has 100 and 60 (although by my reckoning that is not quite accurate).

This is not the case, the 100 on the bezel or in the rehaute is not to messure miles an hour or kilometers,. the same tachy scale is used for both, all you are are doing is mesuring a set number or UNITS per hour, , be that miles, km, liters any thing. The markings from 0 to 100 covering a full circle on a watch face no mater what watch is to give you a rough guide to decimalised time when making speed time distance calculations.

• 1 month later...

This is a wonderful topic - very informative!

I have a question concerning this;

I used to own a Timex with a Bezel function. This function was used to find North,South, East, West -

All you needed was the sun. The memory is vague, but it went something like this.

point the hour hand at the Sun, move the bezel to a specific location depending on the where the hour hand was and you owuld have your NSEW.

Anyone ever see this, or know if this functionality is available on luxury replicas?

BTW - I have a genuine Navitimer Cosmonaute Official Timepiece of the aircraft Owners' and Pilots' Association (A.O.P.A.) owners manual.

As soon as I have a moment I will scan the bezel instructions and post the pice here.

Robb

*see previous post*

OK - I have scanned the manual and created a PDF with it.

Unfortunately it is 4MB so I cannot upload it here.

If anyone is interested in receiving it, PM mw with your email address and I will send it your way.

This is an original scan of a prestine condition 1968 Breitling Navitimer manual with all the instructions on using the bezel functions.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but not many people know that on a GMT bezel, the wearer can use the 24-hour dial for approximate navigation anywhere between the Tropic of Cancer and the Arctic Polar Circle. But, both the 12 and the 24 hour hand must be synchronized to display local time.

Method 1: When laid horizontally, the dial will head North if the 24 hour hand is pointed towards the sun.

Method 2: If the 12 hour hand is pointed at the sun, the 24 hour hand will point North.

The margin of error directly depends on the difference between local official time and actual local solar time, which is why you have to be between the Tropic of Cancer & the Arctic Polar Circle. But one doesn't need to get too much in the technical details for approximate North, East, South, West navigation.