When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How "much/long" do our reviews/fanfare affect pricing?

Daytona4me

This topic defies a portion of the purpose of these forums. It is something that I have pondered from time to time and tried to gauge but have not been able too.

As we go on and on oohing and ahhing over the just released replica that showed up in a trader section or website I have to ask myself how it affects pricing. My guess, probably not at first... but then comes the Reviews by membership.

So someone does a write up on an Omega from Trusty or a Patek from Angus and the comments pour in...

"I want one of those" "I'm in love with this watch" "I think it is the best replica this year!" etc..

It gets bumped by the occasional noob or late buyer of the watch and it starts again... runs for a day or two, the free advertising for one or all traders that is.

So am I speaking out against the reviews and the write ups and the By-Tor's guide to best Omega replicas etc... NO, I think it is a necessary part of this hobby and forum........... ....

BUT I DO THINK IT KEEPS THE PRICES HIGHER .... AND FOR LONGER.

The good news is that everyone knows which replicas to buy.... the bad news is that there is no need to decrease price to move a larger surplus of stock.

I could be way off base with this... I've been wrong before... but this is my thought for the month (It hurts to have two!)

I could be way off base with this... I've been wrong before... but this is my thought for the month (It hurts to have two!)

:p

On the one hand, By-Tor's reviews, Pugwash's reviews or Pix' reviews of their watches makes me WANT TO BUY a watch, sometimes even one I never thought of previously.

On the other, if it is true what you say, and we are exploring the topic -- we come again to the problem that some people expect these Chinese businessmen/women from not behaving like any other businessman.

Of course high-demand items will remain high-priced longer. That's the whole point of the free market system. I don't see anything wrong with that, honestly I don't. I wish someone would sit down with me, and tell me why they think this shouldn't be. It's mindboggling. It's like folks expect merchants to OWE us cheaper watches, somehow.

Guessing it's some kind of psychological component that a rep watch shouldn't be outlandishly priced, seeing it's already a copy. It smacks of unfair play, is that it?

I think the forum reviews are invaluable from sorting out the good from the bad watches. And they prevent many a person from buying a "version" of a watch, until it comes out. It's like buying a watch yourself, by reading a review and determining if you like it or not.

E.G.: Several excellent reviews on, and I still haven't bought my dad or boyfriend a "Super" Sea Dweller.

This topic defies a portion of the purpose of these forums. It is something that I have pondered from time to time and tried to gauge but have not been able too.

As we go on and on oohing and ahhing over the just released replica that showed up in a trader section or website I have to ask myself how it affects pricing. My guess, probably not at first... but then comes the Reviews by membership.

So someone does a write up on an Omega from Trusty or a Patek from Angus and the comments pour in...

"I want one of those" "I'm in love with this watch" "I think it is the best replica this year!" etc..

It gets bumped by the occasional noob or late buyer of the watch and it starts again... runs for a day or two, the free advertising for one or all traders that is.

So am I speaking out against the reviews and the write ups and the By-Tor's guide to best Omega replicas etc... NO, I think it is a necessary part of this hobby and forum........... ....

BUT I DO THINK IT KEEPS THE PRICES HIGHER .... AND FOR LONGER.

The good news is that everyone knows which replicas to buy.... the bad news is that there is no need to decrease price to move a larger surplus of stock.

I tend to agree with you. The hype jacks the price. But the reviews by folks like By-Tor are very well done and very much appreciated.

We all know how much politicians are influenced by payola. Let's hope the writeups/reviews are not ;). This I put out there (with all due respect) as just food for thought...........

:p

On the one hand, By-Tor's reviews, Pugwash's reviews or Pix' reviews of their watches makes me WANT TO BUY a watch, sometimes even one I never thought of previously.

On the other, if it is true what you say, and we are exploring the topic -- we come again to the problem that some people expect these Chinese businessmen/women from not behaving like any other businessman.

Of course high-demand items will remain high-priced longer. That's the whole point of the free market system. I don't see anything wrong with that, honestly I don't. I wish someone would sit down with me, and tell me why they think this shouldn't be. It's mindboggling. It's like folks expect merchants to OWE us cheaper watches, somehow.

Guessing it's some kind of psychological component that a rep watch shouldn't be outlandishly priced, seeing it's already a copy. It smacks of unfair play, is that it?

I think the forum reviews are invaluable from sorting out the good from the bad watches. And they prevent many a person from buying a "version" of a watch, until it comes out. It's like buying a watch yourself, by reading a review and determining if you like it or not.

E.G.: Several excellent reviews on, and I still haven't bought my dad or boyfriend a "Super" Sea Dweller.

Hmmmm, maybe it's time you did LOL (tongue in cheek). I am sure they would very much appreciate the gift. :D

We all know how much politicians are influenced by payola. Let's hope the writeups/reviews are not ;). This I put out there (with all due respect) as just food for thought...........

I think By-Tor's reviews are above reproach, for one. He gives you the good and bad of every watch he reviews.

So does Pix, etc.

And frequently, members review each other's items where merchant provenance is never mentioned. I don't mean this harshly, but there is such a thing as being too cynical, with respect.

The prices are usually set when they announce a new replica. Occasionally they are not.

If it's a bad rep, it can work against them. This happened with the IWC watch that lacked the AR that was supposed to be on it. Some reviewers said the glare was so bad you could hardly see the dial, and the price has dropped.

I think the high prices for reps are more created by a weak USD, than by Bytor's or Pic's reviews.

We are complaining for higher prices as long as I can remember, reps got better every year but also got more expensive.

This may be because of higher producing cost and stricter customs. Especially EU countries are catching more at the boarders than in the years before - a loss for the dealers (yes some still take the risk for their custumers) which they naturally have to compensate somewhere.

I am not justifying ridiculous pricing, but I think it is obvious that a dollar only worth half of it's value does not buy as much as a strong one...

Before it goes too far off track I want to point out..

My concern is more the length of time that a watch stays at a high price.... rather than how expensive it initally is.

With that said... I must agree.... It's all By-Tor's fault! lol

This was a topical rant where I point out that we pick our poison watch after watch... glutens for punishment where we make our own crust and love to eat it too.

I think you are 100% correct D4M, the dealers will certainly maintain a higher price so long as there is interest in a certain model. That said, I don't think that any particular review will generate the buying frenzy necessary to maintain a high rate of sales. When you look at the watches that have been popular, the UPO and the SFSO for example, what you see are extremely accurate watches at reasonably fair prices. But, these watches are also fairly popular outside the rep world. I've seen some outstanding reviews of the Montblanc Timewalker Chronos, and the watch looks spectacular, but the excitement isn't there. The new Porsche flat six looks outstanding, but very little fanfare on the boards. I just think that certain watches, if done right, will succeed while others will come and go. Its nice to give ourselves credit, and to a certain extent its deserved, but I think the success of any given watch has little to do with with what any of us post.

Guest carlsbadrolex

So why do you think Rolex can get over $5k for a 16610? A very basic, stainless steel divers watch. BECAUSE when the 6204 was introduced in 1953 the reviews were RAVING about how incredible it was. And to this very day, it is Rolex' bread and butter.

With that said, as the operations manager for a business that does over $250k in sales per month I authorize the same behavior. At every weekly marketing meeting we list the products that have received good reviews, great feedback, or been in print ads. Those items find their way to the front page of our website and on occasion the price is raised. Occasionally, a ceiling is hit and sales drop off.

When a ceiling is hit and sales drop off for a particular replica, the same will happen. Until then, keep the reviews, pictorials and threads coming. Ive bought four more watches this month based on them!

... keep the reviews, pictorials and threads coming. Ive bought four more watches this month based on them!
LOL,, see what I'm talking about... lol..

... The new Porsche flat six looks outstanding, but very little fanfare on the boards.

roflmao, I must confess, I just posted a review of this watch moments ago... ohh the irony! :rolleyes:

roflmao, I must confess, I just posted a review of this watch moments ago... ohh the irony! :rolleyes:

I just saw that! As I posted there, that watch would be a must have for everyone if it was made by Breitling, Omega or Panerai. Your review and great picks might persuade a few members to buy it, but it will never become the next UPO.