When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can some fellow members offer a recomendation

brsmith1

Hello all, I thought I'd stop here first on my search. I've recently found several gen dials which I'm considering to put into my a MBW 1680. Could a fellow member give me some advice on who to seek out? I see several names mentioned quite often, however, they seem hard to get in touch of. If you know of someone or do this yourself, please reply here or send me a PM.

I would take this to a local watchsmith, however, I understand there are some complications with the feet and I would feel more comfortable having someone do it who has worked with other MBW's in the past.

Many thanks!

Cheers!

Kruzer is correct...a nice gen dial will cost you...if I'm not mistaken I think there could also be a fit issue. I just replaced my MBW dial (1665 DRSD) with one from a Paul DRSD...the printing on his looked cleaner and sharper. As far as dial feet go I remove them and use epoxy when I swap out a dial. I've been doing it for years and never had a issue...I find it gives me a perect date window alignment. It is also easily pryed apart if need be for future work.

Good luck with your new MBW...don't worry too much about mods right a way...let your new toy get some wrist time :D

The guys are correct, a 1680 dial (~27mm) is too large for an MBK/MBW case (26mm). It has to be trimmed down to fit so you run the risk of chipping the finish :o I've read that one of the members (can't remember who) used a lathe to enlarge the groove for the dial, but that's a whole other level of work.

Another more costly option is to get a Vietnamese made aftermarket case that is made to fit a gen dial.

I was in the same situation with a gen dial and decided I didn't want to cut it down and scrapped that project.

Good luck!

As someone with a modded MBW 1680 with a genuine dial, I'd suggest that it's going to be too costly to be really worth while. I would get a good re-dial of a red submariner dial- like Ptolomeo did and go from there. They're cheaper, the red subs are cooler, and if you can't re-sell it at a later point, you won't be out a ton of money. Put the remaining money you save towards more gen parts- specifically an insert/crystal/crown/tube/endlinks...

That's what I would have done had I not run into a unique chance to get a watch that was already completed. I'm relatively aware of the market for these dials, and a white one in similar condition to mine would set you back around $700, I'm thinking. A good re-dial you should be able to pick up for a few hundred max, and you have more freedom in what you can choose- ie: go with something more exotic like a red or a gilt dial, etc...

First, thank you to all that have taken the time to give an informative reply. I must first give credit to a fellow member who started this project and is responsible for this pieces' current stage. That of course being elprimerozen. :horse: :horse: :horse:

So far this 1680 MBW has...

Gen bezel insert

Gen Rolex tropic 127

Rolex spring bars

Rolex o rings at case back and under the retaining ring that hold the crystal in place

waterproof tested 100m :snorkel: :snorkel:

It now also has a....

gen crown & tube! :)

So this piece if is fairly well along. I have two questions after reading the above responses.

1) Being that redial seems to be the best route to take, how do I know by looking at it, if it will indeed fit? There are many on the Bay that merely say will fit so and so movement... Any suggestions on where to obtain one other than the Bay?

2) Also, in the arena of "aged" hands, where do you suggest to start? I have seen several sets of gen hands on a variety of sites, but was doubtful they would fit my MBW's ETA movement. :stupid:

Any suggestions on this would be very helpful :smartass: , I would be sure to post pictures on the project. Trying to continue and carry on the project that elprimerozen started and left for me to complete. If I could get these two more mods done, this would be a very very fine piece indeed.

Any suggestions on these two questions would be greatly appreciated! If anyone is interested in doing the dial for me or knows someone that would, please let me know as well. Cheers! :drunk:

I decided that I'd post the answer to your PM in this thread, as it might be useful for other members who are considering the same. I think that this has become a more popular route recently, and perhaps not wisely so once you see the $$ on some of these dials- this is the type of information that is usually only available in the 'supporters only' area of the site.

My suggestion is to be smart about what parts you choose to go gen with, as some are not as important to the overall 'look' of the watch.

I think you're probably smart to get a re-dial, but keep in mind that it's only you that's going to really appreciate that level of detail. I would go with a red dial, and look for the best possible quality dial for around $300 US. Otherwise you could get a less than perfect gen dial that hasn't be refinished for around $500.

It can be a little tricky to find the right re-dial...especially for a red submariner. You'll be glad you went red, though. This dial would need to be sent to The Zigmeister in canada to be re-lumed, which would be indistinguishable from the gen tritium and install, which would add $100 to the cost. The dial itself would be around $600.

000_0012-1.jpg

That's what I meant when I said that it would cost around $700 for a gen white dial. Here's another one that would run closer to $950- these are current prices, btw...

sell1680yw9.jpg

Or, if you're feeling ambitious, and want to take a look at a red dial that I believe is ready to go for intall, and is $3500:

DSCN5331.jpg

The suggestions about where to source re-dials are best left to other members. There's more 'art' involved in them. I've got what I believe to be a re-dial on my SD, which was done by the guy at classicwatchparts. There are popular re-dialers like NDtrading and such.

I decided that I'd post the answer to your PM in this thread, as it might be useful for other members who are considering the same. I think that this has become a more popular route recently, and perhaps not wisely so once you see the $$ on some of these dials- this is the type of information that is usually only available in the 'supporters only' area of the site.

My suggestion is to be smart about what parts you choose to go gen with, as some are not as important to the overall 'look' of the watch.

I think you're probably smart to get a re-dial, but keep in mind that it's only you that's going to really appreciate that level of detail. I would go with a red dial, and look for the best possible quality dial for around $300 US. Otherwise you could get a less than perfect gen dial that hasn't be refinished for around $500.

It can be a little tricky to find the right re-dial...especially for a red submariner. You'll be glad you went red, though. This dial would need to be sent to The Zigmeister in canada to be re-lumed, which would be indistinguishable from the gen tritium and install, which would add $100 to the cost. The dial itself would be around $600.

000_0012-1.jpg

That's what I meant when I said that it would cost around $700 for a gen white dial. Here's another one that would run closer to $950- these are current prices, btw...

sell1680yw9.jpg

Or, if you're feeling ambitious, and want to take a look at a red dial that I believe is ready to go for intall, and is $3500:

DSCN5331.jpg

The suggestions about where to source re-dials are best left to other members. There's more 'art' involved in them. I've got what I believe to be a re-dial on my SD, which was done by the guy at classicwatchparts. There are popular re-dialers like NDtrading and such.

Thank you for the info. I have attempted to attain "Supporter" status before, paid, yet was later refunded for some reason. Is there a way to get instant Supporter status, instead of having to wait on the Admin? I know they are busy with concerns outside of this site. I will address the issue on the Supporter section after I get this status. Thanks

Thank you for the info. I have attempted to attain "Supporter" status before, paid, yet was later refunded for some reason. Is there a way to get instant Supporter status, instead of having to wait on the Admin? I know they are busy with concerns outside of this site. I will address the issue on the Supporter section after I get this status. Thanks

Hey...no longer a member :irvine: