When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PP Nautilus

shultz

Hi there,

just after purchasing my latest watch (the big boy: entley 6.75) and while I am hunting for the new Breitling Superocean Heritage (see silix' page) I am still interested in a very good PP Nautilus Jumbo. I did my homework and read some reviews here but as I can see the genuine 5711 watch does have a crystal case back while the rep has got a closed one? Therefore I thought about buiding up/ modding the rep into a vintage 3700 just by removing the second hand. What do you think? Maybe anybody want to sell his PP rep or can recommend a source for a nice base watch for further work?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by shultz

This used to be a HOT topic. This was my take on it last year. Remember this is only my opinion.

None of them are "accurate". The MBW Jumbo is a fantasy watch based on the 3700/3800 and a little bit of the 5711 some people say. The 3700 was the only jumbo but it had no seconds hand. The 3800 has the seconds hand but it's a smaller watch. The 5711 is similiar to the 3800. While the dial on the Non-MBW watches appear to be more accurate, there is no dot at the 3 o'clock on the gens. Also the 3700 was marked O SWISS O and the 5711 SWISS. Rumors abound that a dial exactly like those on the MBW was really made but the watch was never released. The allure to the MBW version is the quality and it is a rep that has been copied. At some point it may become the holy grail of the reps and become harder to acquire. I have the MBW version and plan on having the seconds hand removed to make it that much closer to the 3700.

Regarding the dial on the MBW version, PP made custom watches in the 70's. For what you paid, you got whatever the hell you wanted.

Stephane bought one of the MBW's but decided to sell it immediately. Not sure if he still has it or not. Be warned it is not one of the cheaper reps.

Thanks for that advice. Yes I know these reps are damn expensive. Jay offered a nice quality Jumbo to me for a real reasonable price but he isn't sure wether it is an MBW MBK or whatever watch. His offer isn't listed at his website but I am steady customer and he ensured me hat the quality would be quite nice.

I guess it is a similar quality as the common PP nautilus reps e.g. offered by Paul: http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?products_id=1928

As I can see it wouldn't be a bad base for a "vintage" 3700 project and I am pretty sure that nobody except 0,000000001 of watch interested people will notice further flaws. As it is my first PP rep (besides tons of other gens and reps in my collection :lol: ) I probably pull the trigger just to get a feeling for that PP stuff ^_^

Edited by shultz

I guess it is a similar quality as the common PP nautilus reps e.g. offered by Paul: http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?products_id=1928

Nice watch but that isn't the MBK (also known as MBW). You can tell from the dial. The MBK version has a "grid" type design while all the rest have "dots" or "ticks". The MBK will set you back at least $450 USD if not more.

You want to look for this dial, pic borrowed from TTK who can get you one.

av-288.jpg

You can tell from the dial. The MBK version has a "grid" type design while all the rest have "dots" or "ticks". av-288.jpg

Yes, I know. But the 3700 I want to "built up" by removing the seconds hand has got just dots as well. So I think for a vinatge project it would be a good choice. To be honest I am not a friend of blue/ blueish dials but like the black dials better.

MBK/MBW are available in black, skype TTK and ask ;)

The quality and construction of the case of the MBW seems to be far superior, not to mention that the black MBK version dial is flawless (apart fron the running seconds, witch can be removed - comebody's done that on a APRO, can't remember who)

Genuine 3800-1A

post-22-1201135397_thumb.jpg

Rep MBK

post-22-1201135442_thumb.jpg

The MBK/MBW Nautilus is my daily beater.

I have the black dial. The face of this rep is pretty much identical to the 3800-1A, but as previously mentioned the gen 3800-1A watch is not 42mm but rather 38mm.

(Smaller case size...not considered a 'Jumbo).

Jumbo dials had no center seconds hand.

For the closest to the real thing, rep, you would need the CN rep dial with the more correct centered 'Swiss' rather than the MBK, 'Swiss Made', then swap the dial... and put it in the MBK case, and remove the center seconds hand.

Then you would have a very nice rep of the Jumbo 3800 (or 3700). Another 'glaring' flaw on the CN or MBK reps is that the date window is set up too far towards center of the dial, as well as having an incorrect date font.

The newer 5711 with it's 43mm case size is very close as well, to the current MBK Nautilus, but the gen does have the sapphire crystal back which showcases the Gold Rotor and movement features. That watch at retail is currently running in the high 25-to-30,000.00 range...new...and is basically 'unavailable'.

All that being said. I am one that agrees that the rep Nautilus is the nicest watch I own and wear, on a daily basis. The MBK case coupled with the 2824-2 eta movement is WELL WORTH 450.00. I personally like the center seconds hand on the rep, and do not plan to remove it.

Although I can appreciate that the watch as a counterfeit is not 'close' to the gen as a result of its dial and center seconds hand being different...makes no difference to me. I wear it with pride. A beautiful watch, with a classic Genta design, copy or not.

I have the blue one, and it is worth it. the quality is better than your CN version. whether the price difference is worth it is really a personal call

bracelet edges, screws not stripping easily, fit and finish, gaps between links, etc.... are small details that to me, make it worth the $$ difference.

I have red somewhere that PP also make "custom combos" like Hublot does so a fantasy PPN is not really impossible.

Like Jeff, I wear mine with pride. on some weird occasions, I would try to slide my MBW 16610 under my sleeve, not because of fear of being called out, but I did not want to come across as a show-off. But not the PPN. Not a lot of people know it. But everyone who sees it always gaze at its beauty.

• 8 months later...