When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Click screw problem on Asian 6497

cronsell

Okay, I just received my Ultimate Fiddy, and it's a BEAUTIFUL watch! The only problem is that while in shipment the click screw came off and the click and spring below it were floating around inside the case. Being the kind of guy I am, I decided that this would be an easy fix that I could handle. I think I was right :p

I put the spring and click back in place by looking at my 112H and everything was going perfectly. Then I screwed down the click screw. Yay, the watch could wind! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Then I noticed as I was winding that the screw was UN-winding as the click and ratchet worked together :g:

So I went back in and tightened it a bit more!

Then I noticed that I couldn't wind it because the click was immobilized, therefore immobilizing the ratchet. :frusty:

So how do I tighten the click screw enough to keep it from backing out, but not so tight that the click won't move?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help out a newbie who is willing to learn!

It sounds like your movement is defective. Actually, another member had that identical problem a week or so ago.

The screw should bottom out, and be tight, all the while leaving the click lever free to move from side to side.

If your tightening the screw, and once it's tight, the click is frozen and unable to move, you have a defect, most likely the post that the click is resting on is too short, causing the screw to tighten up on the actual click arm, vs the post. This being the case, the only fix is a new winding bridge to replace the bad one.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister, I knew you'd have the answer! :1a:

What do you think about a small, improvised washer that sits above the post, but inside the click? would that lengthen the post, thereby letting the screw bottom out? I'd hate to have to send this watch back, it's such a beauty and I know somehow it would come back with scratched hands or something!

Installing some sort of spacer will probably fix it.

The other solution, could be to use a bit of epoxy on the threaded part of the post, screw the screw down, until it just touches the click and the click is free to move.

Leave alone until the epoxy hardens, and the click won't loosen the screw anymore.

The odds of you ever having to remove the click are so remote, I would not worry about the screw being secured this way.

Good luck...

RG

That's great news The Zigmeister, thanks for the advice!

:offtopic:

Now one more unrelated question if I may: My 112H has a thick crown installed, but it sits just a bit too far off the case (1mm) when the lock is in place. How do I go about shortening the stem to get it closer, or is that the wrong way to fix this issue? Thanks again The Zigmeister, your contribution to this forum is outstanding!

Unscrew the stem from the crown and place in pin vice and sand/file down carefully until desired length.

Just to clarify (because it's happened before where someone filled down the "other end" of the stem).

Unscrew the stem from the crown, and file down the "Threaded end" of the stem the required amount. Keep in mind, if you do this, the CG lever many not touch the crown anymore and flop around...

Make sure you hold the stem in a pin vise, and file carefully, or you risk it snapping in half.

RG

I fixed it!!! :yeah:

My solution was a bit different than the supplied suggestion from The Zigmeister...although without his knowledge of exactly WHAT the problem was to begin with, I couldn't have figured this out. Instead of finding a washer to extend the post, or using epoxy, I slept on it.

This morning I thought to myself...what if the defect is in the click itself rather than the post? Perhaps the click is a bit too thick!

So I pulled out a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper and put the click on the tip of my finger, then with light pressure, sanded the bottom side of the click for about 60 seconds. There was some trial and error, and I went slow so I wouldn't remove too much, but it worked EXTREMELY well, and I didn't have to find an infinitesimal washer for the post or epoxy part of the movement together (although I doubt I will get this movement serviced, you never know!).

I thought that since you guys helped me, I would let you know what ended up working for me so that if you ever run across another defect in this part of the movement, you can consider this solution too!