When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Warning - Cousteau Diver - Ticking Timebomb

spookycord

So I decided to some maintenance today on my IWC Aquatimer Cousteau Diver 2006 that I just acquired from an esteemed member and friend who I like to call Sleazeball and who likes to call me A-Hole (haha J/K Dave). It came with a troublesome hour totalizer subdial that wouldn't reset properly and of course dust under the crystal (which I only really noticed after taking and looking at close up pics). These issues were known to me before I took the watch, so no big deal. Well, I crack open the caseback to get started; first I notice specs of dirt, which takes my attention away from the real issue; the freakin letters are falling off the rotor! So this is what I see:

DSC02824.jpgDSC02817.jpg

These stick on letters look like lemmings ready to take the plunge into my movement! Oh helllllll no. You's gots to go! So out came the rotor. Maybe the previous owner of this watch is actually the Zodiac Killer and is trying to leave me cryptic messages. Or maybe the 12 year old girl that assembled this watch in her basement had just a little too much lead based paint for breakfeast that morning...hmmmm....

DSC02831.jpg

After scraping it off with the same toothpick that was used to stick them originally, back on the movement you go. Decorated movement my bunghole.

DSC02845.jpg

I wasn't aware that the only thing holding these A7750's in place is the crown stem.

DSC02846.jpg

So be sure to add this to your list of things to look out for with the IWC CD. I don't know if it's just on the 2006 or if it is also potentially a problem with the 07 and the slevin. Even with the crappy rotor letters, dusty case, misaligned dial, misaligned bezel, chrono's that don't reset, and double AR that scratches way too easily,...it's still one of my favorite reps! It just has a certain feel to it that is substantial. It's like that person that you know is bad for you but you are just drawn to them. Hey wait! That's my wife! I wonder if she'll mind if I start calling her Jacques. Or maybe IWC-CD-2006. "Hey IWCCD2006 go fix me a a sandwich!" <Spooky cowers behind couch>.

Anyway, sorry if this has already been discussed, just wanted you all to be aware of this potential catastrophy. Now aren't you glad your Big Bang has a sticker on it's rotor instead?

Spookycord

(Almost Pwnt by a stickon letter)

DSC02834.jpg)

Slevin is free from this problem. Read my comparison on RWcc. It's continuously being worked on:

I am sorry if external links are disallowed. Please feel free to remove the link if it's.

http://replica-watch.cc/forum/index.php?topic=1222.0

When I opened my Cousteau 07, everything was alright. Mvt was held in place by at least 2 screws and stickers were all at the right place. Only problem was that stem was broken during shipping :(

When I opened my Cousteau 07, everything was alright. Mvt was held in place by at least 2 screws and stickers were all at the right place. Only problem was that stem was broken during shipping :(

Damn! How do you break a stem in shipping? That sucks.

I wonder how easy it would be for a sticker to slip off on a hot day. Could be a disaster but I guess it doesnt happen much.

Pictures of 07 CD posted by Angus

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...&hl=2007+CD

show 07 rotor with what seems like etched letters. Perhapse I am halucinating...but....could anyone confirm if 07 CD model has similar to Slevin rotor taht does not have a timebomb (falling off letters)?

Thanx

I discovered the same problem with my Costeau last summer. Too late, the letter got into the movement and killed it. Anyway I loved the watch so much that I ordered a new one. But I'm sorry to say, that one had a lot of issues, problems with the inner bezel and the movement was not really tight inside the case. Misaligned dial/bezel. And problems with the chronos, the second hand stops for a few seconds at 10 and 50. I really love that watch, but I wont buy another one with all those issues. Maybe a gen one.....

• 1 month later...