When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Cousteau vs. BCE Ultimate vs. Navitimer

ALEX.CPA

07 IWC Cousteau vs. BCE Ultimate vs. Navitimer  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is more of a Super-rep closer to GEN

• 2007 IWC COUSTEAU
    • BCE ultimate or V2
    • Navitimer Serie Special

Hi all,

First of let me thank everybody for contributing wealth of information on this forum. Without it it would be hard to make an inteligent decision in this (new to me area). I only have GEN UN Maxi Diver at this point :rolleyes: and my budget would not allow for another GEN Chrono. REP is to the rescue!

Now to my main question, as I am on a hunt for the best (prior to any modofcations) REP chrono out of these three in terms of quality and proximity to the respective GEN item. Lets just leave movements out of this comparison (lets presume they all have the same A7550 high beat).

I) 2007 Iwc Aquatimer Chrono Cousteau Diver - orange sub dial on Ruber strap.

II) Breitling Chrono Evolution (V2 or Ultimate) - graphite dial stick markers on SS bracelet model.

III) Breitling Navitimer Serie Special - Blue dial with stick markers, on SS bracelet, 12-9-6 arrangement.

I have read this forum extensively about each brand and still can not make an inteligent decision. Hopefully somebody who had been exposed to these REPS and GENS will reply with a word of advice!

Thanks beforehand!

Alex

I vote for II (BCE). Cousteau issues include inner bezel out of alignment relative to gen, somewhat cheesy "wood" on the back and obvious lack of lume relative to the gen (especially on the inner rotating bezel). I have not seen the Navitimer in the flesh but have read various criticisms. EVO 2 with second gen dial is probably one of the best out of the box.

The tell on the BCE is the date font. No other tiny flaw will be noticeable. Even then the date font isn't all that bad. I would say that the BCE is by far the best rep I have ever owned, closely contended with by the SOSF. Go for the BCE, you won't be disappointed.

...Cousteau issues include inner bezel out of alignment relative to gen, somewhat cheesy "wood" on the back and obvious lack of lume relative to the gen (especially on the inner rotating bezel)...

I don't think the '07 Cousteau has wood on the back :huh: ...Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I don't think the '07 Cousteau has wood on the back :huh: ...Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

You are not mistaken.

It's clear that the Navi is NOT in contention here. If for any single reason, it would be the lack of AR. Gen has strong AR.

Just to make your decision even harder, how about the Tag Link Chrono, and the Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono. Both nearly perfect out of the box with a date font change.

Hmm I wonder if you could buy both the BCE and the SMP Chrono, buy a Briet DW from Lello, and put the ETA DW from the BCE on the SMP??? Now I'm curious since I have both.

Oh and what about the Chopard MM GMT! ...sorry i'll shutup now.......(ahem mont blanc timewalker chrono ahem)...

I voted for the IWC as at least it's flaws our fixable for the most part.

Relume, date wheel change, upgrade movement to Swiss. Numerous posts by people here that have inserted a real wood piece into the back.

To me besides the datewheel which can be fixed without too much difficulty ; the BCE has engravings around the bezel that do not look like a gen and you could never fix that. The SFSO has similar engravings that look much better!

The dial also has very subtle concentric circles vs. the Gen from what I have seen as well.

I own the IWC and I used to own the Ultimate BCE but have since sold it.

HBB would win for best out of box chrono over these 3 options.

Cheers,

M

What I really should have said is to buy which of the 2 you like best.

The IWC and Breitling you mention look entirely different.

One is sporty the other dressy.

Do not make you choice between the 2 based on which is a better made, they are both excellent.

Exclude the Navi ; look closely at the IWC and BCE ; check out some wristshots or better yet go to an AD and try them on (Tourneau flagship store in NYC has both models on display)

Cheers,

M

One more vote for the BCE.

The watch has a very good feel, and the pearl is even better on the newest batch. I agree that the engravings on the bezel could be better, though. ( The SFSO has deeper, sharper engravings.)

On the Navitimer SS, the misspelling of "Messerschmitt Bf 109" as "Messers14477" on the caseback is the no-go for me..