When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UK & EU Customs question... Advice needed

nick212

Hello to all . . .

I need to ship 5 ipods from NY to the UK and Europe (2 to italy and 1 to Spain) to family members. While i have some experience with US customs through our dear hobby, i have no clue what to expect shipping abroad. Any and all advice is appreciated, here are some specific questions i have . . .

1. Should i mark as GIFT, USED, or Repaired . . . ?

2. Any preferred shipping method, like UPS vs DHL vs USPS?

3. Should i open the ipods and remove from shrink-wrap,any difference?

4. What happens if they get "stuck in customs"?

I appreciate all your advice . . .

Thanks

Nick212

PS To old friends from RWG1, hope all is well, still lurking, but no posting much . . . wear your watches in good health!!!

When will people learn....

The courier firms pre schedule customs duty and pay it automatically by account as consignments arrive at destination country (then raise swingeing 'handling fees' on top for the recipient)

Post do no such thing...customs want any duty they have to raise it from scratch....which is why small sized low value packets seldom get a look at.

Hello to all . . .

I need to ship 5 ipods from NY to the UK and Europe

wouldn't worry about UK customs,

prob the weakest in the world...

u could label it as "Cocaine" value $10,000 and it would prob still get through (with no tax!) :)

Edited by Homer

I've had 3 items sized and opened by italian customs even if they were shipped registered airmail.

1 Joshua watch, sent back to him by customs, it was tagged as "not allowed".

1 noobmariner, they opened it and asked the fees as if it was genuine. They still have my noob.

1 ETA spare movement, it was opened and fees paid. It was labeled as "personal gift"

On the other hand, Joshua sent me another one, writing "watch gift" on a box full of chinese writings, and It came safetly.

Never, never, never use the word "gift" anymore if you're shipping to Italy or stricht countries, to their eyes it means that you don't want to pay duties. It's better to put a value of 30$. You won't pay anything.